hi beam vs. low beam? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
View Poll Results: which do you run during the day?
low beam 17 80.95%
high beam 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

hi beam vs. low beam?

if you're running your high beam while riding and it goes out, are you still able to use your low beam? and vice versa? if your low beam goes out while riding, are you not able to still use your high? is it different if you're running a halogen vs. an LED vs. an HID bulb? i have an HID kit on mine, and before i hooked up my projector, there was no difference in light output between switching from high to low so i don't even know if mine has a true low/high function.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 05-11-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:19 PM

Garage
Yes they should be different filaments in the bulb itself so one should work independent of each other.. If they both don't work than you either have a bulb that broke the filament and than shorted the other one out or a wiring issue.

Not sure with the LED.. but should be separate circuits so should work some what i would think using the other circuit.. all LEDS might not be on at the same time high vs low beam setting.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:19 PM
KCW

Garage
the standard low beam / high beam filaments are not that much different, something like 50W / 60W.

the real difference is the filament is in a different physical location, which changes the projection of the beam of light low and high.

That is what allows you to see down the road with hi beams, the headlight is pointing higher, and only a little bit brighter.

If the LED elements are not in the same physical location as the lamp filaments, it will not utilize the reflector correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:45 PM

Garage
the low beam filament has a hood so it only shines on the upper half of the reflector the high filament lights the whole reflector, i use low in daytime for two reasons 1 i like to use passing lamps as an alert at times and 2 i wan't high beam at it's best when i really need it, on any h-4/9003 bulb both filaments are never lit at the same time unless someone did some rewiring, the better conversion leds adjust in and out and rotational for focus so you can get a fairly good pattern with those they also have a hood over the low beam for the cutoff, with leds both filaments are lit on high beam unlike an h4/9003

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 05-12-2018 at 07:50 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 PM

Garage
Guess I'm inconsiderate to on coming traffic. I use high beam 99 percent of the time, night or day. Also have my passing lights on. Hope I look like a train coming down the road. I want to be seen. In Houston with all the traffic I feel like just maybe the other drivers will see me better. I know it's not right but works for me.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Guess I'm inconsiderate to on coming traffic. I use high beam 99 percent of the time, night or day. Also have my passing lights on. Hope I look like a train coming down the road. I want to be seen. In Houston with all the traffic I feel like just maybe the other drivers will see me better. I know it's not right but works for me.

problem with blinded drivers is they can steer right into you.
KCW, KCW, Diogenes415 and 1 others like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
problem with blinded drivers is they can steer right into you.
That's why I said 99 percent. I do flip to low beam when oncoming traffic is close on two lane roads. Most of my ride in to work is on divided interstate with concrete barrier, so oncoming traffic can't see my headlight.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:09 PM

I run low beam 24-7 unless I need the extra light so that I can see where I'm going. Intentionally blinding people I share the road with is neither courteous, smart or safe.
pauli466, pauli466, KCW and 5 others like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM

Garage
I run low beams during the day. I have lights on my highway bars & those are on all the time. Night riding ... I use the high as much as possible. & do my best not to blind on coming traffic.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:31 PM

I rarely use my high beam... whether there's oncoming traffic or cars ahead of me on the interstate I do not want to blind them, which I think is common courtesy. When there are cars traveling ahead of me there's also no reason for me to use high beams because their headlights shine up the road far ahead of mine and I use theirs to see into the distance.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 05-14-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode