Drizzle gas into tank - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Highwayman
  • 1 Post By Elk
  • 3 Post By bevo1981
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Drizzle gas into tank

After riding for 5 years I just figured out how to get that last 2 quarts into my gas tank.

Usually when you fill your tank the pump runs till the level is a few inches below the tank opening, then it kicks off. Then if you try to squeeze the handle just a bit to slowly fill the rest of the tank, you squeeze the handle and it turns on suddenly with full pressure. Once you have the lever on you can back it off and slow down the flow, but that initial click shoots gas back out of the tank.

So: hold the nozzle and lever with one hand, and put the thumb of your other hand on the back side of the lever. Now when you squeeze the lever on to start the pump flowing, your other hand stops it from snapping on full, and you can get the pump to click on slow from the start, and drizzle the last few quarts into the tank.

Try it when you first start filling the empty tank to get a feel for it. That is how gas pump handles should work.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 AM

Garage
Is it worth the extra time & patience for those 2 quarts?

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Garage
I put my index finger between the handle and the lever and slow fill it the whole way. You never know when it's going to surge and gush. I also place a fiber cotton rag on the tank before filling. I probably look like a dick but hey....the paint.
KCW likes this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
Is it worth the extra time & patience for those 2 quarts?
I usually squeak out 59 mpg. Two quarts is one more day of commuting round trip.

I normally fill the tank about where I would have to switch to reserve (200 miles). I went 242 miles once on a road trip on one tank, had about a quart left in the tank when I filled it back up.

When the odo gets to 190 to 200 miles I flip it over to reserve, so that Im not pulling out into traffic, or in the middle of a turn or curve when the main tank runs out. I try to stop for gas as soon as I have to switch it over to reserve, so no matter what, when i flip that lever I should be good for another 45 miles.

I dont like the way the 650 tank fills up to the lip, then drains back down 2 inches in about 10 seconds, fills back up, drains back down... you dont get a feeling of consistency for how far it is from the top, unless you stand there and watch it for another 10 seconds. I dont know why it takes so long for the gas to drain down to... wherever its going.

Last edited by KCW; 05-24-2018 at 12:33 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 AM

Garage
OK... for another full day of commuting. I can see that.
I, on the other hand, have been averaging 37 mpg & have a 71 mile round trip commute. I get 2.5 days of commute before I need to switch to reserve. That extra time (i know it maybe like 2 minutes) is not worth it. However, on my Road Star, it is a straight shot into the tank. Drains straight back.

KCW ... Does the 950 have a Vent hose on the tank, like my RS does? I wonder if it is a air flow/escape thing?

No matter what you ride. Just ride!

Last edited by Scrumdown; 05-24-2018 at 11:03 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Elk

Most of the time I don/t worry about it, but if I am heading some place I don't know I will spend some time to get more in.
Scrumdown likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

i'm gonna need you to film a demonstration for us
Elk, lesblank and fd757 like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
I don't have a youtube account.

Maybe Im making the explanation more complicated that it really is. When you grab the pump handle with one hand, some pumps have stiff feeling levers - you cannot gently squeeze it and turn the flow on slow - you squeeze it harder and harder, and suddenly the lever gives and pulls in halfway, turning the flow on nearly full.

All you really have to do is put your thumb from your other hand on the back side of the lever, so when it turns on it only moves a fraction of an inch.

Again: try it when you first start filling the empty tank, don't wait till its almost full to get a feel for it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

kidding .
lesblank and KCW like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
me too, i actually have 12 videos on youtube on how to fill a motorcycle fuel tank...
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode