Destination Powersports pulling dealer trade in payoff scam - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Destination Powersports pulling dealer trade in payoff scam

This post is a warning to others in the Southwest Florida area, Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida runs a well known dealer scam where a dealer takes a vehicle on trade and then fails/refuses to payoff the loan balance as agreed in the sales contract.

You can do a google search on Dealer not paying off trade in and even consumer reports has written about this dealer scam.

I am sad to report that Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida has pulled this payoff scam on me, it is now 30 days since I traded in the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low and Destination Powersports still has not paid off the loan on the Harley. I have been in contact with the dealer and they only give you the run-a-round.

Anyone who might live in the Southwest Florida area steer clear of Destination Powersports in Punta Gorda, Florida.

This is a scam that is pulled by dealers and can be one of three things:

1. The dealer is using your money as a free 30 day loan.

2. The dealer is using your money and letting you pay down the old loan while they wait to sell your trade in then paying off the loan at the lower amount or in a worst case still not paying off the loan.

3. The dealer is out of money and may be fixing to go out of business.

This not paying off the trade in loan is a well documented scam and it is called a scam.

I am posting this so that others who may live in the area and were thinking of buying a motorcycle, wave runner/watercraft or ATV from Destination Powersports will know that they are a dealer who will try to take advantage of their customers in the worst ways.

The dealer is also now refusing to talk to me which is telling me they may very well be in serious financial trouble and about to go out of business.

I will be hiring an attorney come the first of the month to start legal action in this matter, I will also look into seeing about the possibility of getting the Harley Davidson back due to breach of contract, of all the information I have read about this dealer scam the one thing that does not seem to come up is the person that traded in the vehicle being able to get back the traded in vehicle.

Destination Powersports currently has the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low listed for sale on their web site even though they can not legally sell it nor can they even apply for a title for it due to their failure to payoff the loan on it to remove the lien.

Here is a link to Destination Powersports of my old Harley Davidson listed for sale:

https://www.destination-powersports....=xallinventory

Remember that Destination Powersports cannot legally sell the bike nor can they title it due to their failure to payoff the loan and remove the lien that is on the bike.

Last edited by American; 05-25-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

No sooner than Posted this thread and Destination Powersports called me.

Update: I received a phone call from Destination Powersports from the General Manager who's name is Jeremy, he was very apologetic said they made a mistake on there end. He asked me to call Harley Davidson Financial Services to authorize them to make the payoff on the Harley.

Harley Davidson Financial Services is kind of strange like that as they do require you to authorize them to deal with a third party for a payoff, likely has to do with financial fraud.

I called Harley Davidson Financial Services and authorized them to deal with Destination Powersports for the payoff. So now I will keep tabs on the account for the balance to make sure it goes through and I will give an update at that point as to the status of what is going on.
Highwayman likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:20 PM

Garage
Keep us updated, I hope they come through and do the right thing. Sad dealerships have to lower themselves to scams like this making it difficult for the honest ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:59 PM

Garage
Car dealers do the same or will wait a while before they do, States have different laws on how long they have to pay off the agreed loan. Something to watch out for. The best thing to do is to ask your financial institution to notify you of payoff or if your due date is approaching and they haven't paid off the loan.
Keith Post likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Account settled, Harley Davidson is now paid off, I am of the feeling they did the old 30 day free loan deal. They don't sell that many bikes in a month for something like this to just slip through the cracks, if they were moving 75 to 100 bikes a month they maybe but there volume is no where near that.

But at any rate the loan is finally paid off and no longer outstanding on the Harley Davidson.
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 08:50 AM
KCW

Garage
This is not necessarily a scam.

For most bills that are due monthly, there is a "due date" and there is a date after which they will charge you a late fee.

Businesses will frequently wait until the last day before late fees apply before making the payment. Banks and insurance companies know this.

Once you have signed a vehicle over to the dealer, it is no longer your liability, it is theirs. You should not be subject to any credit issues if the dealer pays off the loan late, because its not you responsibility anymore.

If you want to be upset about something, be upset that you could have sold the bike for about $1000 more then the dealer 'paid' you for it, if you sold it yourself.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:52 AM

Garage
Years ago I traded a truck in at a dealership that did not pay off the note at the bank, the dealership was bought by another dealership. The bank reposed it from the dealership, but it wen ton my record. After almost a year the bank finally took the reposition off my record, but repeatedly told my they didn't have to. They said that I was still financially responsible for my loan until it was paid, even though I had signed it over to the dealership.
I learned to be very cautious with any dealership I deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post

For most bills that are due monthly, there is a "due date" and there is a date after which they will charge you a late fee.

Businesses will frequently wait until the last day before late fees apply before making the payment. Banks and insurance companies know this.

Once you have signed a vehicle over to the dealer, it is no longer your liability, it is theirs. You should not be subject to any credit issues if the dealer pays off the loan late, because its not you responsibility anymore.

If you want to be upset about something, be upset that you could have sold the bike for about $1000 more then the dealer 'paid' you for it, if you sold it yourself.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:08 PM
KCW

Garage
Well then WTH?! Don't give the dealership your trade-in until you get a note from your bank saying the loan is paid off.

If the documents they sign are worthless, they are worthless.

They sure wont give you a new vehicle until you sign a binding contract to pay for it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:19 PM

Dealership gave me a new car for 2 months before we signed on it.
I went to look at it, told them I was looking and wasn't ready to sign at this time. They just let told me to take the car, and we did all the paperwork later.

I had no previous relationship with the dealership or even that car brand.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post

This is a well documented dealer scam and yes you are still responsible for the original loan on the vehicle until it is paid off so if the dealer does not make the payoff within 30 days (California made a law requiring dealers to make the payoff within 21 days) and you don't make a payment to keep the account current that is a late 30 day mark against your credit report.

Do a google search on this subject, even consumer reports did an article on this subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode