For the love of God, think before making mods - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

For the love of God, think before making mods

Please make life easier for anyone who has to wrench on the bike.

It's going to be very hot the next several days, I figured I'd take the windscreen off.... Yeah right.
The previous owner installed and HID, and bolted the unit (ballast, igniter?) to the cross beam of the windscreen.
I couldn't take the frame off without removing the HID unit first. Closer inspection finds the unit is bolted behind the windscreen bag. Neither the windscreen bag or HID unit can be removed without removing the windscreen from the frame.

Removing the windscreen from the frame is no big deal, with the frame OFF the bike. It's a major PITA with the frame on the bike (it's almost impossible to get to some of the cap nuts on the back side).
But I can't remove the frame because the HID ballast has no quick disconnects, and not enough cable length to unbolt the frame and lean it forward.
So, get the windscreen off the frame (about 45 minutes), then start disassembling stuff.

SWEET BABY JESUS, if you're going to add stuff to the bike, use METRIC!!
I had SAE and Metric sockets, Metric and SAE allen wrenches, star wrenches (!), Phillips and standard screwdrivers to remove all the various nuts, bolts, and screws.

After all the stuff was off, the HID is a rats nest of units, resistors, relays, and other stuff.
OK, lets see how it's wired and where we can hide stuff. I went to open of the headlight bucket.
THE LIGHT BAR BLOCKS THE BOTTOM BOLTS of the bucket!

I'm done for tonight.
Elk, eruby and Scrumdown like this.

--
Alan in Denver
2009 1300 Tourer
Cutdown windscreen, MS fork deflectors, lizard lights, Mustang seat and backrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm better now. I have 200 miles round trip to a meeting tomorrow. Went out and zip tied all the HID stuff down, put the top bolts back in the headlight bucket.

I am taking the bike tomorrow! Everything else can get fixed this weekend.
eruby and Scrumdown like this.

--
Alan in Denver
2009 1300 Tourer
Cutdown windscreen, MS fork deflectors, lizard lights, Mustang seat and backrest
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 AM

Garage
Sounds like some Wind Therapy is need post haste!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
Sounds like some Wind Therapy is need post haste!
Yeah, heading out in a few minutes. 200 miles of two-wheeled bliss.

I was a bit torqued last night. I know nothing ever goes as planned, but 2.5 hours to take the windscreen and frame off the bike was a bit much.

This weekend I'm pulling the HID and putting in an LED. There's just too much junk to hide with this unit.
KCW and Scrumdown like this.

--
Alan in Denver
2009 1300 Tourer
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Garage
after i had to split the cases to install a 5th gear set i changed every bolt to allen, even the shock and eng mounting is allen now, teardowns are lightning fast
Scrumdown likes this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
after i had to split the cases to install a 5th gear set i changed every bolt to allen, even the shock and eng mounting is allen now, teardowns are lightning fast
Nice! I think I'll go get a set of various sized allen bolts, and do the same. It'll easier to use the electric screwdriver and allen bits to disassemble and reassemble stuff.

I have removed all the stuff connected to the windshield frame, and it's all coming off the bike. I like the HID, but the unit he put on there takes much more room and has more black boxes than there is space to hide things.

--
Alan in Denver
2009 1300 Tourer
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotalan View Post
Nice! I think I'll go get a set of various sized allen bolts, and do the same. It'll easier to use the electric screwdriver and allen bits to disassemble and reassemble stuff.

I have removed all the stuff connected to the windshield frame, and it's all coming off the bike. I like the HID, but the unit he put on there takes much more room and has more black boxes than there is space to hide things.
the new H4-9003 led conversion bulbs work better in reflector headlights check out the lumileds zes H4 it has a cutoff hood on the low beam and adjusts laterally and rotationally to get a good focus it has a reversible heat sink

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
the new H4-9003 led conversion bulbs work better in reflector headlights check out the lumileds zes H4 it has a cutoff hood on the low beam and adjusts laterally and rotationally to get a good focus it has a reversible heat sink
Thanks for the heads up, I will order one now!

--
Alan in Denver
2009 1300 Tourer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Finally tore down the rats' nest of wires, splices, solders, taps, fuses, boxes, relays, and shrinkwrapped factory and add-on wires and got everything back to stock.
WHEEEEW! That took about 8 hours total, when the original objective was to pop off the windscreen....

But from here out, it's four bolts to take the windscreen off and on.
lesblank and KCW like this.

--
Alan in Denver
2009 1300 Tourer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
The last two bikes I purchased were used, and the first thing I had to do with both of them was go through the additions the original owners had put on and redo them to clean up the wiring, ss fasteners, and just pull some of them off totally. The things some guys do (and some dealer's mechanics) really make me scratch my head as to why it was done that way. I guess quickness wins out, no matter how sloppy it is. As long as it works.....

That's why I'd never make it as a mechanic. Too slow, too deliberate.

Keep up the good work pilotalan! At least WE know the job has been done correctly, and won't have to be done again.

"Hopping off the soapbox"

NCDaveD

2008 Yamaha V Star 1300 Black Cherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode