New bike time? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Diogenes415
  • 2 Post By Diogenes415
  • 2 Post By NGM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New bike time?

A little background, I'm a bike nut. Got my first bike in 1973 at the age of 18. Did not own a car for myself until 1993. Always had a family cage, but only two wheels me. Most of you have seen me post about my mustang that I inherited in 1988. In 1993 I sold my bike to restore the mustang. Fast forward to 2013 and decided to retire the mustang from daily duties. That's when I bought my 2001 Vstar for $800 with only 1700 miles on it. Needed work to get road worthy but not much. Fast forward to now. I've had this bike for 5 years and now have 60k miles on it. That's averaging 1000 a month. The bike is an 9 out of 10 in appearance, few rock chips, etc. But looks great for a 17 year old bike. Mechanic wise it's at least a 9 out of 10. Needs new rear shock, rotors soon and a few other smaller items. The help and input I need from y'all is what is a true mileage life of an 1100. I've heard of some people say they have gotten 100k out of them. This is my daily driver and would rather be looking for new bike before this one starts costing me more money than it's worth. Who out there has a high mileage 1100 and at what point were you having to put major money into it to keep it road worthy. My thought is to keep my eye open for a good deal on a low mileage 1300. I've narrowed my choice down to the 1300 as I love my 1100 and 1300 would fit my two up riding while being able to commute with it. I'm thinking of doing this within the next year or so which would put me in the 70k to 75k on my 1100. I feel I can easily get 75k without issues in the condition my bike is in now. Please post your ideas and feedback. By the way, my mustang broke 500k last year, can take to car show and normally place, plus runs 11s in quarter mile. So as you can tell I take care of my vehicles. What would you do?

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 06-07-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
A little background, I'm a bike but...
Was that supposed to be 'nut' or 'butt'?

Quote:
... What would you do?
I'd keep the 1100. You know your bike and have it set up the way you want it. Buying a different used bike means you'll be paying for unknown possible issues and probably will end up sinking even more money into it to suit your needs/wants.
bevo1981 and lesblank like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Was that supposed to be 'nut' or 'butt'?

I'd keep the 1100. You know your bike and have it set up the way you want it. Buying a different used bike means you'll be paying for unknown possible issues and probably will end up sinking even more money into it to suit your needs/wants.
Spell check got me again. Either butt or nut works. My concern on my bike is mileage.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Spell check got me again. Either butt or nut works. My concern on my bike is mileage.
I wouldn't worry about the mileage and from my experience, holding onto a vehicle and replacing parts is usually cheaper than buying a different one.
bevo1981 and lesblank like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:25 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

As a shop manager I see both sides of the coin. Yes replacing parts is cheaper than a new bike, but at what point does it become more expensive for the year and mileage of the bike. I do agree about keeping the bike, but since it is a daily driver get a second bike if you can. That way if something comes up that puts the bike down for more than a few hours you can still get around. For me and my wife we got 2 bikes each. One is a 2 up capable and one is a solo for each of us. Hope this helps your decision.
lesblank and Scrumdown like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
. I do agree about keeping the bike, but since it is a daily driver get a second bike if you can. That way if something comes up that puts the bike down for more than a few hours you can still get around.
I like the idea of a second bike. I am in some serious need of some wind therapy. BUT, both my car & bike are down for repair at the moment. Sometimes, life is a boot to the head!!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

it sounds like you're just ready to upgrade. otherwise, you probably wouldn't be concerned about a costly repair that hasn't happened yet. i don't have personal experience to give you, but it's a Yamaha and will probably last forever if you take care of it. the motor itself should get you a TON more mileage out of it before it needs a major repair or overhaul. besides that, i think your closest repair would probably be the shaft drive which can pretty much be replaced in its entirety for less than a couple hundred bucks for a used one. bottom line, dropping money for even a used 1300 will be more costly than anything you'd pay to keep your 1100 going.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode