Selling Etiquette - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Selling Etiquette

I'm selling a Suzuki M90. What is the proper way to handle a test ride? Should I pin the guys arms behind his back and threaten to burn his house down and rape his dog if he drops it? Cash in hand before I give him the keys or what?

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, hereís a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:33 PM
KCW

Garage
first don't let anyone ride the bike unless it is insured, registered and inspected, because it will be your ass if he hits someone, for handing him the keys when you knew the bike was not legal to ride.

2nd make the buyer show you his drivers license with a motorcycle endorsement. If he only has a permit then its up to you if you want to follow him and let him take it for a ride (required where I live).

3rd, if you have full insurance on the bike and he steals it or crashes it, you have insurance, but it is not unreasonable to require a buyer to show up with the full price in cash, and tell them (if you wreck it you bought it). To be fair, he cannot get insurance on your bike for one day to take it for a test ride, and forcing someone to put up the full price of a bike in cash, that he cannot get insurance for, is pretty cold blooded and heartless.

If you are not sure if another rider is covered by your insurance, call your agent to be sure.

Its a risk - if the bike does not have full comprehensive coverage its a big risk.

When I got my license and wanted to buy a new HD Iron from a dealer, they would not let me take one for a test ride, even with my MSF course endorsement. I thought they were just being dicks, and that is why I have a Yamaha Vstar.
graybeard likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 06-17-2018 at 03:36 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's insured, tabs and registration are current.
KCW likes this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, hereís a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Garage
Tough situation. For me it would partially depend on who shows up to test ride it and their story and vibe. It may cause me to be flexible or take a hard line. With all the mentioned insurance requirements in play, I still may not be comfortable with a particular person going on a test ride. Just the scammed up world we live in today. Conversely, if I were coming to buy someone's bike and they required cash in hand, I may not be comfortable handing over thousands of dollars to a particular individual. The last bike I sold I didn't allow a couple dudes to test ride the bike without cash in hand...both walked. For me it's a very grey area and I wish you Good Luck!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

make them leave their shoes. and lock a toilet seat around their ankle to which you hold the key. and get the names and pictures and addresses of their closest family members and their places of employment and/or school. if a buyer doesn't agree to this, they then aren't really a serious buyer.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:59 PM

As a buyer I wouldn't expect anyone to let me test ride their bike unless I fork over the money... however I expect them to sign a collateral agreement that shows that I forked over a particular amount of cash as collateral in order to take the bike for a test ride.
KCW and graybeard like this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I'm selling a Suzuki M90. What is the proper way to handle a test ride? Should I pin the guys arms behind his back and threaten to burn his house down and rape his dog if he drops it? Cash in hand before I give him the keys or what?
Unless a 'tire kicker' puts the total asking price (in cash) in my hand...HE or SHE doesn't ride my bike...but can be a passenger behind me...and I will do whatever maneuver they wish, if it is legal. I have never not sold a bike this way...and...in fact, I got so many positive comments from serious buyers...in that they know that I didn't let some tire-kicking d*ck, get on the bike that they are also looking at, and that I take care of my ride. I have never not sold a bike within weeks of pricing it out, by this means. You have a right to protect your ride and R.O.I investment. If the 'tire kicker' objects to you not letting him or her 'test ride' your bike...oh well...no loss to you...and that COULD end up being a loss...to...you. You avoided it.

My way to sell, anyway...and have done so for 45 years...no problem!
graybeard likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
As a buyer I wouldn't expect anyone to let me test ride their bike unless I fork over the money... however I expect them to sign a collateral agreement that shows that I forked over a particular amount of cash as collateral in order to take the bike for a test ride.
Correct...and have done so...I sign a note that they have given me the cash as collateral...and I make them sign a note that they are responsible (by cash) for all and any damages done to the bike in their care and control. Works both ways...but it works. A serious buyer, will respect totally your attempts to protect your investment. That actually gives them confidence in what they might be buying!
graybeard likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All good advice. I think I'll add some of this language to the ads I have out.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
All good advice. I think I'll add some of this language to the ads I have out.
If your bike has had great and proven maintenance, and you have kept up with road-side appeal...the bike will sell. It will sell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode