What is that thing? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was detailing my bike this morning and found this on top of the engine underneath the rear exhaust pipe. It's metal, 2 1/8" in diameter and 1/8" thick. What the hell?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180627_203706_1530150138602.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	81060  

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?

Last edited by Highwayman; 06-27-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:52 PM

Garage
Exhaust gasket.
bevo1981 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's been there all this time? It couldn't have fallen off. Weird I haven't seen this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
It's been there all this time? It couldn't have fallen off. Weird I haven't seen this.
I look past things all the time, Just ask my wife. 😁
Elk likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 PM
KCW

Garage
does your bike have the stock exhaust?

I would guess someone took the exhaust connection off at some point, that fell out and they never fished it out from where it fell.

If it was missing your exhaust would be leaking at the back of the head. If its not, someone replaced it.

I work across the street from a GM dealership. When its nice I take a 1 mile walk around the block. Over the years I have found car parts, ball bearings and enough tools to nicely equip a tool box.

Mechanics work on vehicles, take an old part off and set it down, or set a wrench down in the engine compartment, forget its there, and when the car drives off the first turn or curve the stuff falls out in the street.

I read a few years ago the comedian Gallagher also has this habit. He cannot drive anymore for health reasons, so he does a lot of walking, and he finds car parts on the shoulder of the road, and he cant figure out "this part is necessary for the car to run - how did this part fall off, and the car kept going?!"

I also heard about a mechanic who had an old VW with a hole in the floor under the drivers side carpet. People tended to tailgate old VWs because they only have a 50 HP engine. When someone was pissing him off, he would drop old pistons and connecting rods thru the hole, and it looked like the engine was falling apart.
Elk and lesblank like this.

Last edited by KCW; 06-27-2018 at 09:18 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Aftermarket pipes. I'm fairly anal. I run a tight ship. Hard to believe I haven't seen this before.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:36 PM
KCW

Garage
maybe it was wedged up somewhere and just recently shook loose and fell onto of the case?

Is there any chance it fell out from between the pipe and the head? With just two studs holding the exhaust on, if the connection loosened up the gasket could fall out.

I guess its possible it fell out when the exhaust was put on, and the mechanic didnt see it fall out, and snugged things up - I would think that would noticeably leak.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All the bolts were tight. Guess it was from the exhaust switch-out.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:50 PM
KCW

Garage
If you want to screw with a MC rider, keep your old parts when you work on your bike

and toss them under someone's engine when their bike is parked...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Excellent idea KCW. A greasy bolt is going under a Harley at work tomorrow.
Scrumdown and Charlie5320 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode