We are orphans now... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
We are orphans now...

This story came out two years ago, that Yamaha was shutting down its vstar line. https://rideapart.com/articles/say-g...ar-motorcycles

I know there was a thread on this a year ago or more, I dont know what words to search to find it, but at the time it really did not sink in.

Today I went to the Yamaha motorcycle website, and the only bikes listed under the '2018 cruiser' section are the bolt and the Vstar 250.

We are orphans now.

Im taking this personally. The home I was born in and lived in for 18 years was torn down several years ago.
The elementary school I went to from K to 8th grade was torn down and replaced with a post office.
The previous 4 cars I purchased new were Saturns.

I own the most reliable motorcycle on the market, and the company doesnt want to build them anymore - or any of the other vstar bikes Im thinking of getting next year.

I think its me! Its like someone traveled back in time, and my life is being erased.
Elk and EleArt like this.

Last edited by KCW; 06-28-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
This story came out two years ago, that Yamaha was shutting down its vstar line. https://rideapart.com/articles/say-g...ar-motorcycles

I know there was a thread on this a year ago or more, I dont know what words to search to find it, but at the time it really did not sink in.

Today I went to the Yamaha motorcycle website, and the only bikes listed under the 'crusier' section are the bolt and the Vstar 250.

We are orphans now.

Im taking this personally. The home I was born in and lived in for 18 years was torn down several years ago.
The elementary school I went to was torn down and replaced with a post office.
The previous 4 cars I purchased new were Saturns.

I own the most reliable motorcycle on the market, and the company doesnt want to build them anymore - or any of the other vstar bikes Im thinking of getting next year.

I think its me! Its like someone traveled back in time, and my life is being erased.
I know what you mean. During my 20yrs service in the Navy I’d watch them decommission whole classes of ships behind me. Ones I spent years on. As I got closer to retirement it seemed to speed up to the point the last ship I was on was a “hot turn over” to the Egyptian Navy.
It’s like the movie “Neverending Story” where the “Nothingness” was was rapidly approaching urging you to move forward with ever increasing speed. Now it seems like the years were a blur and I’m watching those ahead of me check out into eternity with ever increasing regularity.
The only thing that is constant is change.
KCW likes this.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:50 AM

Garage
Yes, unfortunately it turned out that Yamaha has gotten rid of the Star brand and entire cruiser line. We were discussing that at Strykerforum last year and I thought that they had not just updated their 2018 model line at their website when we talked about it, but it was confirmed later that Yamaha just killed it. It is weird and frustrating, I think their V Star models were selling pretty good, especially in 950+ segment. Another rumor was that they want to get everything under Yamaha name again because of the name potential, perhaps they will revive the cruiser line some time later, but it will be all "Yamaha" and not the "Star".
Keith Post likes this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:15 AM

Garage
In the 5 months I've owned my bike and the reading I've done about it. I always felt that the Star line up was the bastard step-child of Yamaha. They lent the kid money just to get him out of the house and then BAM! He took off with gusto. They tried to wrangle him in but, never could. So they did a hostile take over & put him to rest.

I am proud to be the owner of a STAR motorcycle!
Keith Post and JoeRoyal like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!

Last edited by Scrumdown; 06-28-2018 at 02:03 PM.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
According to Consumer Reports the next behind Yamaha for reliability is Honda. So if I want to buy a brand new cruiser bike next year, something like my Vstar 650, it comes down to this:

2018 Shadow Aero Overview - Honda Powersports
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
According to Consumer Reports the next behind Yamaha for reliability is Honda. So if I want to buy a brand new cruiser bike next year, something like my Vstar 650, it comes down to this:

2018 Shadow Aero Overview - Honda Powersports
I owned a Shadow before. Was my first bike in 1985. Very nice and reliable bike. Why don’t you consider moving up to touring?
The SVTC would surprise you on handling not to mention comfort level.
Keith Post likes this.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Using my 650 as the baseline, there is nothing I would change on it right now for the way I ride.

If I need to be somewhere hundreds of miles away asap, I take the car and take the interstate highways.

When I want to experience the journey, sometimes with no actual destination, I ride the 650, stay on two lane roads whenever possible, almost never hit 60mph, and I get a real sense of being where I am, everywhere I ride.

I played around with saddle bags and did a couple week long short distance vacations on the bike, stuffing them full of clothes and junk. Got rid of those and got the trunk. If it wont fit in the trunk I dont need it.

I got a windshield last summer with fork deflectors, thinking if I need to jump on the thruway for a couple hundred miles, that would be the way to do it. Its ok on the interstate at 75mph and passing at 80, but then when I get where Im going Im stuck with the windshield on the bike - which really robs it of the wind-in-your-face feel of the motorcycle experience.

My ideal riding experience is a black top road with no center line, no traffic, no windshield, no gps / music / cell phone / blue tooth, no passenger, no group ride, no destination, no schedule

just me, the motorcycle, a couple hundred bucks in my pocket, and whatever I might need in the trunk if I decide to keep riding for a few days, and see where the road goes.

I do have to choose between spending several thousand dollars on a bigger bike, or riding the bike I have with that same money, and have as many of those "free days" on the road as possible.

See you on the road, if you can find me.
eruby, Dabluz and Yamaha Pat like this.

Last edited by KCW; 06-28-2018 at 09:20 AM.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

why on Earth would anybody buy 4 Saturns?
Scrumdown likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

i don't get keeping the 250. there doesn't seem to be hardly any profit margin there, and no way that model sells as many units as the other Star models. and i don't get the whole branding thing as a main reason to discontinue several models because everybody knows they are Yamaha bikes, and you can just simply just not badge them as "Star" models anymore. none of this makes any sense to me. the whole thing has to come down to money, so these models must not have been selling well overall, especially in overseas markets which makes more sense because cruisers are more popular with the U.S. which is a smaller global market for bikes versus the other motorcycle categories. the only chart i could find showed an overall decline in global Yamaha bike sales from 2012-2016 each year.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
why on Earth would anybody buy 4 Saturns?
to get to the other side 800,000 miles away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode