Group riding pet peeves. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Group riding pet peeves.

While riding in a group, do you have any pet peeves about the other riders? Mine is no cancelling their blinkers. Drives me insane and it isn’t that hard. I ride a V Star that has a self cancellation, but I still always cancel my signals.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:04 PM

Garage
When they try to share the lane with me rather than stagger. I do not like a stranger riding right next to me at speed.
Elk, eruby, mikearc095 and 4 others like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
When they try to share the lane with me rather than stagger. I do not like a stranger riding right next to me at speed.
^ this. Especially if they've been drinking.
lesblank, KCW and Scrumdown like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 PM
KCW

Garage
who are all these people on my road?!

I like to ride alone.
bevo1981, Elk and Highwayman like this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:29 PM

Garage
I almost NEVER ride in a group. A few of my friends will ride together at times but we know each other riding habits. My yearly exception is when I go to Galveston for the Lone Star Rally. There is only one bridge onto the island from Houston. So you have thousands of bikers on the same road at the same time. I'm always on high alert for the last 20 miles. I always one of the first ones to leave so traffic isn't bad. Sounds like I don't like the Rally but I really do. Just not the ride in with strangers. It's like this coming into Galveston for 4 days. And yes that's a cow in the sidecar, remember this is Texas.

KCW and Highwayman like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
I’ll agree with you in the “stranger” part. My best friend and military buddy and I have rode together for 20yrs. We can anticipate each other’s movements and in THAT situation I’m comfortable.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

just being obligated to watch out for them and ride at the same pace as others. there's a difference between riding with one other biker versus a group. with 2 of you, it feels nice to share the road with someone. with a group, i sometimes just feel a little trapped because i have to do what the others are doing. i can't notice as much of the scenery because i have to pay more attention to the spacing between me and the multiple people in close proximity to me.
Elk and graybeard like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 PM

There are too many to list so I no longer do group rides. I have more fun without extraneous annoyances. My lil bro is the only person I enjoy riding with because we are so much alike when it comes to motorcycles and riding. We have RIDDEN together for decades so we know each other's riding style.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 06-30-2018 at 10:56 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:02 AM

Garage
I usually ride solo, not many group rides so this may be a few isolated incidents. When riding staggered I have also ridden off the back of the bike ahead of me in the other line. The last couple of group rides the 2 lines rode independent of each other, so there always bikes passing each other. May just be me but doesn't seem very safe, especially when there was several trikes in the group. The last time I ended up turning off, I just couldn't take it anymore.
KCW and Diogenes415 like this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 AM

Garage
I usually ride solo too but I did have the opportunity to go on 3 group rides last weekend. The group size was limited to 25 riders and it was organized by a local touring club. We had a leader, another club member halfway in the pack, and a third bringing up the rear. All were in communication with one another. Before we started they took the time to explain how to ride in the staggered position safely and I never had any issues being crowded or other riders riding beside me. We stayed in order after breaks so I was always riding with the same people around me and I got to learn their riding styles. It was also tricky staying together with such a big group but they picked routes that had less traffic and for the most part, other traffic respected us and let us stick together. Proper organization and prerunning the routes makes all the difference IMO.

One thing I really didn't like that much was not being able to chose my own route. When I go for a ride I often have no destination in mind, just going down whatever road I feel like taking. I set off last week thinking I might take a ride to the shore (about 20 miles) and I ended up going to another province and putting on 150 miles.

So I guess I like both. It's fun riding in a group, with the feeling of comradery it brings, but the complete freedom of setting out without any specific destination in mind is a strong pull too. This year I talked to a few members of the riding club that organized the runs during the Atlanticade Bike Rally and they told me I was welcome to join them. They really stress safety and they're mostly around my age so I may go on a ride with them and see what it's like with a smaller group. There's no obligation to go on every run so I can do solo runs and still have the option of group rides whenever I'm in the mood for one.

Just my 2 cents.
lesblank and graybeard like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode