Sharing some real incidents you've seen on the road with motorcycles - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Sharing some real incidents you've seen on the road with motorcycles

I thought this might be entertaining as well as educational.

I am a retired police officer from the Florida Highway Patrol, 13 years years was spent in traffic homicide with 10 years of that as a supervisor, I have been involved in over 1,000 traffic homicide cases in one way or another.

One case that my squad worked in South Miami on State Road 826 Northbound from NorthBound US 1 was a teenager who was on a Honda 600 cc crotch rocket style bike, his father was with him on one of the big CC engined crotch rocket style bikes. There used to be a Fudd Ruckers burger joint that would have a bike night during the week and the father had brought his son to this bike night. When they left the father entered the State Road 826 expressway Northbound from US 1 Northbound and opened up his bike, this entrance ramp went uphill as it crossed over US 1 so it has a couple of nice curves to it before it straightened out.

The son attempting to keep up with his father on his smaller 600 cc Honda drifted wide crossing onto the right side shoulder where he hit the concrete retaining wall and then his head and upper body hit one of the aluminum light poles killing him.

The father who by then was a good 3/4 of a mile down State Road 826 noticed his son was no longer behind him so he turns around in the Northbound lanes and proceeds to travel against Northbound traffic going Southbound until he came upon his sons crashed motorcycle and his sons body laying on the right shoulder of the roadway.

Come to find out the father had just recently bought the son that motorcycle and he was just learning to ride, trying to keep up with his father he rode past his ability to control the bike.

It was a stupid mistake by the father that led to his sons death that night and one he has to live with the rest of his life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Here is another case from Miami, this one happened in the middle of the night on the Florida Turnpike Southbound in the Cutler Ridge area.

Two brothers were riding home from a night out when a car came up on them at a high rate of speed passing them, one of the brothers decided to open up his bike and chase the car to pass the car, one of those how dare you things. The other brother was not very experienced on his motorcycle and did not take off with his brother because he was not confident riding at such high speeds.

The brother who did not take off all of the sudden came upon debris all over the roadway, the debris was parts of his brothers disintegrated motorcycle along with his brothers body parts. His brother had lost control of his motorcycle and it slide into the guardrail, the type with the metal "H" beam posts that hold the galvanized metal guardrails. Being he was sliding on the ground his motorcycle and his body were striking one "H"beam after the next disintegrating the motorcycle and the body.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Here is an incident not involving a crash, this was back in 1985 on US 27 Northbound just east of State Road 826, I was in my first year with FHP patrolling my zone when a pack of motorcycles turned onto US 27 heading Northbound, there were about 30 of them, I proceeded to activate my lights and siren as usually one of them would pull over.

As I was pursuing the motorcycles I got behind one and we were traveling about 105 MPH and the rider kept reaching under the fuel tank with his left hand and looking down in that area all while traveling at 105 MPH with me behind him about 100 feet with lights and siren, when all of the sudden he pulled something out from under the fuel tank tossing up into the air, this object hit the upper right side of my patrol cars windshield and exploded into a white powder. He continued for another 1/2 mile and then pulled over.

While I had him stopped I had called for back up and asked for a canine unit and while I was waiting for the back up the pack of motorcycles had turned around and started circling us, being new and having that many motorcycle circling you can be just a little un-nerving. Well I got back up but there were no canine units available. when my back up unit arrived the rest of the motorcycles all left. We could not find anything on my patrol car and the other unit went back to try and find what the motorcyclist had tossed that hit my patrol car but he never did find anything and at the speed it hit my patrol car and the way it exploded it was just powder in the wind at that point.

Clearly he was carrying drugs but there was no way to prove it at that point. I ended up writing him a speeding citation for 105 MPH in a 55 MPH zone, but I bet when he got back with the rest of his buddies they were not happy with him for tossing their drugs, I suspect he got far worse from them then the speeding citation I give him. He was one worried young man when he left that traffic stop so I knew his punishment was not over with.

There was no way I could have kept up with him if he had just put his head down and took off and not stopped as my patrol car was a 1984 LTD II that would top out at 121 MPH.
Elk likes this.

Last edited by American; 07-01-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 AM
KCW

Garage
a lot of new riders do not understand counter steering - they are riding instinctively by the seat of their pants, and when the bike starts to go wide in a turn they do not know what to do to make the bike lean harder.

Some panic and steer the bike like a car, and die.

When I was a teen I rode my friends XR75 around on trails and dirt roads. When I got my first street bike, I was fine on the city streets and riding around town, but the first big sweeping curve at 50mph I did the same thing - tried to steer like a car, went right across the left lane of the street (no cars coming) and off the road on the shoulder, on the opposite side off the street, on both brakes for all I was worth. I had no idea what just happened.

When I told my harley riding friends what happened, they laughed at me and said "COUNTERSTEERING!"

If there had been traffic coming the other way, I would have died when I was 19.

Good time to mention, in Florida in 1977 you did not need a special license or permit to ride a motorcycle. No test, no training: Nothing.
Elk likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-02-2018 at 09:48 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM

Garage
As a born-again newbie, only 4 months back on 2 wheels. I can say .... Counter-steering is the hardest to remember in curves when you think you are on the border line of panicking. I have gotten in the habit of "yelling" at myself ... LOOK! PUSH! LEAN! And you may scrap, its cool. (Seriously, that is what I say in my head in every curve.

I have been lucky that I have not had any incidents happen to me while riding. However, I think this luck is due to the fact make my own luck while riding. (1) I am always looking in mirrors for butt-munchers coming up on my ass. (2) Leaving at a minimum of 2 car lengths in front of me, {35 ft or more} (3) Only PUNCH IT, when I need to get away from some cage I do not feel easy by. (5) Tell myself ... these cagers will not be my demise. (6)And last but not least, I do not ride above my comfort level or what I feel the bike can handle. (which really means, what I feel comfortable doing on the bike.)
Elk, NorthernRider and graybeard like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 02:51 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
.... LOOK! PUSH! LEAN! .(Seriously, that is what I say in my head in every curve)....
LOL! the first summer I had my license, everytime I passed another bike and did the 2 finger wave, I would think in my head "hey bro!".... "hello" ....."Yo!"...

Took a year before I stopped the internal greeting voice in my head and just let my left hand go of the grip, arm swing down and wave, swing arm back up...
Scrumdown likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Garage
Damn American. Makes me want to stop riding all together.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
LOL! the first summer I had my license, everytime I passed another bike and did the 2 finger wave, I would think in my head "hey bro!".... "hello" ....."Yo!"...

Took a year before I stopped the internal greeting voice in my head and just let my left hand go of the grip, arm swing down and wave, swing arm back up...
I still have voices in my head, riding or not. Most of the time I turn my radio up so I don't have to hear them. 😀😁😂

KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 PM
KCW

Garage
METV has the '70s show WKRP on now.

Stupid theme song is the worst ear-worm ever!
lesblank likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Here is a rare motorcycle crash for you.

I was called out one night around 2:00 AM for a fatal crash, I get to the scene of the crash and it is two motorcycles, one rider deceased and one rider taken to the hospital, now multiple motorcycles being involved in a crash is not rare, but a head-on collision between two motorcycles is as rare as it gets and this case is the only one I ever saw or heard of for that matter.

Motorcycle 1, a Harley Davidson bagger type left a bar, yes the rider was drunk. When he left the bar it is on a four lane road with a grass median (Hancock Bridge Parkway) the impaired rider on the Harley Davidson made a left turn out of the bar parking lot, well when he did that he was in the westbound lanes of travel going eastbound. The impaired rider had to negotiate two curves and go over a bridge all of which cold have resulted in a head-on but he made it through both curves and over the bridge until he got to the next and last curve before you get to U.S. 41.

Motorcycle 2 (Kawasaki sport bike) had just made a left turn from Northbound U.S. 41 onto Hancock Bridge Parkway westbound.

As both the Harley Davidson traveling Eastbound in the Westbound outside lane and the Kawasaki that was traveling WestBound in the Westbound outside lane entered the curve due to darkness neither rider detected the other until they hit head-on in the middle of the curve in the outside lane. The Harley Davidson rider died on the scene likely when he was thrown from the Harley and hit the road face first, the Kawasaki rider was still next to his bike on the ground seriously injured unable to move and his gas tank was leaking gasoline resulting in him laying is a puddle of gas. Lucky no fire started but he laid in the puddle of gas until rescue got to the scene and gasoline soaked into his pours and almost killed him.

Both bikes were determined to have been going right at the speed limit which was 45 MPH and when the bikes hit head-on their forward momentum stopped both bikes and they went down at the point of impact with very little movement from point of impact.

Stop and think for a moment the timelines that had to align for that crash to even occur and how small the frontal area of a motor cycle is and then to have two motorcycles hit perfectly head-on in a curve the odds have to be in the billions yet that September night in 1992 everything aligned perfectly and that fatal motorcycle crash happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode