First Time Out This Year... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

First Time Out This Year...

Yup, it's true... sadly our summer here in Northern Newfoundland is off to an incredibly pathetic start, but yesterday things suddenly turned around, and we are now finally coming into some decent riding weather! (did I mention that we had snow just a week ago?... not joking!) Well, when I got out on the Honda yesterday it was downright hot/humid, at least for this part of the world. (31C, or 88F, with a humidex value of 36C, or 97F) Other years we are out riding by mid-May, but this year we were still getting serious snow right through May and most of June! On May 24th we received almost three feet of the white stuff in just one night, and as I said, we even had snow coming down just last week. Yikes!

I had been following the daily weather forecast very closely, as I have been itching to get back to riding for the first time since last September, and yesterday, when I saw that they were calling for lots of heat and sunshine for a change, I got up early and worked away at getting both of our bikes (2014 Honda CB500FA and 2014 V-Star Custom) ready for the season. Due to our inability to find anyone willing to make some serious bucks to build us a much-needed new 20'x30' shed for our toys last year, both bikes have hibernated in our back porch all winter... and as this is actually our laundry room, the Missus was particularly anxious to get our wheels back outdoors where they belong, rather than crowding her ironing board!

Both bikes were put away fairly dirty last fall, so I had my work cut out for me. I first wheeled the Honda out through our narrow back door, (no easy feat) put her up on the paddock stands, cleaned and lubed the chain, washed her up, then a wax job and air in the tires, and that was that. The V-Star Custom, on the other hand, was pretty near impossible to shoehorn through that narrow back door, (even had to remove the highway bars last fall to get it inside) so I had to use a few zap straps to fold the foot pegs up, turned the mirrors inward, and then proceeded to force the 37"- wide bike through our 30"- wide door frame. (I believe I may have cursed a bit at this point, but there is no video evidence of this) Anyway, long story short, the Missus has her laundry room back, and both bikes are now parked on the deck, looking every bit as clean and shiny and absolutely flawless as the day they were purchased, so I have my happy-face on again... finally! Suffice it to say that I had such an awesome ride yesterday around this little island paradise that we're so fortunate to call home, and although my ever-ailing spine always forces me to keep my rides rather short, I was thrilled to be back on two wheels. That was yesterday, and as today's weather was a carbon copy of yesterday's, I took the V-Star out for its first round of the summer, and once again I was on cloud nine!

Wow, it was a very lengthy downtime... from September/2017 to July/2018... but now my wife and I will be out riding pretty much daily, sharing our incredibly scenic coastal roads with almost no other traffic to speak of, but instead with about 500 woodland caribou who believe that these roads were actually built for them! Here's a few pics from last summer, but stay tuned for regular updates/photos/videos of our Fogo Island riding experience over the next few months!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Elk, lesblank, KCW and 7 others like this.

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:35 PM

Garage
Hopefully you get a late winter to compensate.
Yamaha Pat likes this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Hopefully you get a late winter to compensate.
We generally ride until early to mid-October. (fingers crossed!)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
clock/thermometer set
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 12:23 PM
KCW

Garage
Who knows, maybe its a good thing?

On the plus side, your motorcycle will last for the rest of your life.

I have always wondered why all the people living above the arctic circle dont dye their hair black, move to Hawaii, and pretend they are natives?

But I do understand that most of the neurons in your brain get tuned to the place where you grew up, and that is always home.

Last edited by KCW; 07-06-2018 at 08:30 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
... I do understand that most of the neurons in your brain get tuned to the place where you grew up, and that is always home.
Nah, my wife and I were born and raised in Southern Ontario, and we have absolutely no wish to return to that rat race. Our summers here on Fogo Island may be short, but they're gorgeous. And when you factor in that we have no texting teens, no freeways, in fact no traffic, nor even a single traffic light, no noise, no pollution... not to mention no gangs/drive-by shootings, actually no crime at all... well, it would sure be difficult to find a nicer place to live. Our doors are never locked, and the keys have never been out of the ignition.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

lesblank and NCDaveD like this.

"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
clock/thermometer set
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM

Garage
Glad you're finally getting some warm weather Glen. I thought we had a crappy spring here but I've been watching the news and you win, hands down. Every time I see those pics I'm reminded of Sanikiluaq, a hamlet on the the rocky little island we lived on when we first got married.

And suddenly it's summer. 35C here today (95F) with 39% humidity that makes it feel like 41C (105F). Been like that all week (almost too hot to ride! Almost). I think I lost ten pounds in my leather jacket on my ten minute ride home from work today!

Just a side note on the PC side, KCW - the Inuit, or Inuk, like the term eskimo the same way black people feel about the n word.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Glad you're finally getting some warm weather Glen. I thought we had a crappy spring here but I've been watching the news and you win, hands down. Every time I see those pics I'm reminded of Sanikiluaq, a hamlet on the the rocky little island we lived on when we first got married.

And suddenly it's summer. 35C here today (95F) with 39% humidity that makes it feel like 41C (105F). Been like that all week (almost too hot to ride! Almost). I think I lost ten pounds in my leather jacket on my ten minute ride home from work today!

Just a side note on the PC side, KCW - the Inuit, or Inuk, like the term eskimo the same way black people feel about the n word.
Yes, we've been reading about the extreme heat in New Brunswick and southern Quebec, (along with much of the USA) and it even made its way up to Fogo, although today was thankfully much cooler. When I was out riding on Tuesday it was far too hot, and like you, I too have a (very heavy, black) leather jacket, (and also black leather gloves/riding boots) and I thought I was going to melt!! It wasn't too bad out on the highway, but when puttering around in the towns it was brutally hot with all that black leather! All my life I have never made out well in the heat... I wish the temps could just stay hovering in the 18-22C range all summer, and I'd be a happy camper.

Well, now I'm off to google "Sanikiluaq"!!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
clock/thermometer set
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 06:27 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
... the Inuit, or Inuk, like the term eskimo the same way black people feel about the n word.
that is news to me. Seems to be no single word to describe all the people in North America who live above the Arctic Circle.

Everyone has the right to choose their own identity.

I read a website that explains these people resent that word, then the rest of the page continues to use it to refer to them.

Last edited by KCW; 07-05-2018 at 06:33 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:42 AM

Garage
I didn't know either until I spent a year living among them. They are a beautiful, friendly, and generous people whose way of life has been destroyed in just the last couple of generations. I met people who hadn't even lived in houses for the first part of their lives. So I wasn't trying to be preachy or overly PC. Most people who don't know the Inuit wouldn't know that so I was just trying to pass on what I learned.
KCW likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:36 AM
KCW

Garage
From what I read its not that the word itself is derogatory, the problem is the people that treated them terribly and abused them, called them by that name.

I know a lady whos father treated her mother terribly, and he would say things like "where's my dinner woman?" calling her 'woman' instead of using her name.

Now this lady feels like the word 'woman' is abusive.
NorthernRider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode