I love to go slow.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I love to go slow....

When I ride my Bike I feel it is very relaxing to me to go with 70-90 km/h (about 45-57mph) through the Landscape and enjoy the Nature, the Weather, the Wind and so on.... I often realize other Bikers (of Course often with other Bikes, like Racers etc.) that pass me with much more Speed , just to meet them at the next Traffic Light again. I mean,...don't get me wrong. Everyone should do as he likes to, but for me...I could't imagine that this Kind of Racing could be Fun to me. I love to go slow....Am I not normal?

How about you Guys?
Elk, eruby, KCW and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Garage
You're normal. Best advice I ever got regarding motorcycle riding is, "Don't be in a hurry", that's when accidents are most likely to occur. I ride a lot, but almost always go nowhere when riding.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Garage
I also like to drive slow. 100 km/h is my limit. 80 to 90 km/h is perfect. Luckily, maximum speed in Quebec is 90 km/h except for some highways where the limit is 100 km/h. I have yet to meet another biker who follows the speed limit.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:52 AM
KCW

Garage
45 to 60 mph on a 650 with no windshield is a pleasant Cruising speed. The bike seems to be optimized for that range.

At 63 to 68mph the engine has a resonate vibration - not that anything bad is happening, its just buzzing a bit.

Wind force is exponential with speed, the wind blast is double at 75mph from what it is at 50.

I would not consider 45mph to be slow - if you have ever gone 45mph on a bicycle, its scary as hell. But on a 600 lb motorcycle its a great ride.

I normally ride on secondary two lane roads, which takes me through all the little towns and villages. I love to putt thru towns at 30mph in 5th gear, with the engine just nicely putt putt putting over and the stock exhaust as quiet as can be. Then on the other side of town, when the speed limit changes to 55mph, just crank the throttle a bit and let the engine wind out in one continuous long climb up.

Last edited by KCW; 07-09-2018 at 09:16 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Garage
I like slow cruising on hilly winding roads. I like punching the throttle on a straight away. I also like pretty girls in sun dresses, 1/2 lb. hickory burgers and Dunkin Donuts coffee.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:15 PM

I prefer riding slowly while on the 650 Custom, as I too really enjoy the scenery... there's always lots of icebergs, woodland caribou, bald eagles, humpback whales, scenic little coves/beaches here and there. But every so often I love to hop on my other ride and just go like the wind! I've had the Honda up to about 180 km/h, but that was a one-time deal just to see what it would actually feel like to go that fast on two wheels... and with no windshield. And it really does feel awesome, although I won't ever go that quickly again; too many things that can go wrong, likely with all of them ending badly. (plus our daughter is a cop and she would kick my @ss!) But sometimes I just have to twist that CB500FA's throttle wide open, leaping from a casual crusing speed of about 70 km/h, right up to 130-ish in just a few quick seconds, (Jeez, I sound like I'm seventeen!) then just as quickly return to normal speeds once again.

In contrast, going even just a little over 100 km/h on the 650 Custom seems awfully fast to me, so I prefer to keep this bike in the much more pleasant 65-85 range. Gotta say it's nice to have the choice though!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Garage
I don't race, but I'll cruise at 120km/h (75mph) on the highway to keep up with traffic. The speed limit in NB is 110kmh on the Trans Canada, but they won't bother you unless you get it up over 120 so that's where everyone cruises. It revs a little higher than I prefer but it's not over revving and it's a comfortable speed. I often look down and see I'm passing 80 and it still feels good there.

That being said, I prefer cruising on secondary roads. I usually keep it around 100kmh (60mph) and it just putters at that speed. I find speed limits hard to stick to and that usually only happens in slow traffic, but I don't go overly fast - maybe 60 in a 50 zone, for example. It depends on the road and conditions too.
KCW and YamahaParExcellence like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:28 PM
KCW

Garage
something to write on your handlebars - the equation for Kinetic Energy:

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of the object and to the square of its velocity: K.E. = 1/2 m * V^2

that means if you get thrown off your bike at 40mph, and burn thru your Wrangle jeans as you slide to a stop

at 80 mph you would have to wear 4 pairs of jeans

If you hit something at 80, there is 4 times as much energy to dissipate to stop you and your bike, as there is at 40mph.
Elk and Rumble like this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
something to write on your handlebars - the equation for Kinetic Energy:

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of the object and to the square of its velocity: K.E. = 1/2 m * V^2

that means if you get thrown off your bike at 40mph, and burn thru your Wrangle jeans as you slide to a stop

at 80 mph you would have to wear 4 pairs of jeans

If you hit something at 80, there is 4 times as much energy to dissipate to stop you and your bike, as there is at 40mph.
Jeez man, you just took all the fun out of it... now I'll have to switch to Levi's! (and I'm NOT looking forward to wearing 4 pairs of 'em at once!)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
KCW, NorthernRider and Rumble like this.

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Garage
75-90 kmph (approx 45-55 mph) is my comfort zone while riding.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode