A great day for riding around our island! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes
  • 8 Post By camperbc
  • 2 Post By camperbc
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

A great day for riding around our island!

I took this quick snap of the bikes parked in our yard after returning home from two very scenic and relaxing rides around Fogo Island today. (was out for about 1.5 hours on each bike) The weather was picture-perfect... straight sunshine, no wind, and 25 degrees. (77F)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Keith Post, Elk, lesblank and 5 others like this.

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Jeez, the Missus and I had complained for all of May and June about how it was always so cold... now it's too [email protected] hot! (and of course today there was not so much as a hint of a breeze) I mean, even way up here in Northern No-Man's Land (aka Newfoundland) it's been so bloody hot/humid that you just can't stand it! Our lawn guy came over today, and before he was even a quarter way done mowing the lawn, he was definitely suffering from heat stroke... to the point that I was quite certain we were going to have to have him transported to the hospital STAT!. As I type this post at about 10:30PM our time, the temperature inside our home is still a crazy 32 degrees! (90F) Holy [email protected], as much as I love to ride at every opportunity, particularly as we experience such short summers, there's just no way that either of us can ride in this. With the humidex value factored in, (was 80% humidity today) it felt like 40+ degrees! (104+F) Now, our southern neighbors, especially those who reside in the lower half of their fine country, are most likely pretty accustomed to riding in intense heat, but for us usually-frozen Newfoundlanders who still had snow falling regularly throughout May... and yes, we even had snow falling at the end of June for God's sake... this amounts to sheer torture!

My wife and I prefer to keep ourselves as well-protected as possible while out on our rides, (so at an absolute minimum, thick leather riding jacket, armoured leather riding gloves, leather riding boots, DOT/SNELL-rated helmet) so with all of this heavy gear on, we have learned that it is just not much fun at these extreme temperatures/humidity. So here's hoping that the weather man is dead wrong about the rest of the week, because it's looking like we'll be getting more of the same for many days to come. Sure, if we didn't have such ridiculously high humidity levels here at the ocean's edge, days in the low 30's(C) range would be acceptable. But as the saying goes, "it's not the heat, it's the humidity". No kidding

Tomorrow I will be putting my big boy pants on, will suck it up, and go for a ride!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Keith Post and NorthernRider like this.

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 PM
KCW

Garage
Glenn, it was 90F sat and sun this last weekend in upstate NY. I have mesh riding gear and get good air flow while Im riding, but if I have to stop in traffic or at a long light... its like punishment.

when its really oppressive I can still get a few hours riding in the evening, take off maybe 8pm and its not completely dark till 10.

Its also easy to get suckered into a long ride here if you take off early in the morning: 60F at sunrise... then a few hours later its 80F and climbing. Then the sun is beating down on you and you have a long ride back home.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 AM

Garage
I feel for you bc, and I definitely understand. Itís been very hot and humid here in the mountains. When Iím at work itís sunny and hot, on my days off itís stormy and extremely humid, way above normal for here. When I do get a short ride in, itís either ride early in the day or late in the evening. Now im looking forward to the fall season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode