Well ... That was a first! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well ... That was a first!

Riding into work this morning. I saw the usual d-bags; head down & looking into their laps OR holding their phone up & yapping away. Whatever, very aware of those idiots. Anyway, I am coming around slight bend & heading into one of the tunnels. Having just been cut off twice I was already in the process of slowing to keep my 2-4 car length of cushion I like. But, what do I see in front of me .... A SEA OF RED. So I hit the brakes. Just like I have done hundreds of times before. There is plenty of room for me to slow ...

WHAT THE F&@K! My rear tire/brakes just locked. And now my arse end is sliding to the right. First thought --- Holy Shittake Mushrooms! I am going down. Second thought --- THE F&@K I AM!

I am not 100% sure whether it was me lightly & slowly letting up on the rear brake, or engaging the clutch that corrected things. A combo of those? Or the bike just did it itself. But, I was straight & vertical within (milli) seconds & stopped before the sea of red in front of me.

I'll tell you this. I did not need a cup of coffee when I got to work. This is one ride I will not be telling the wife about for a while. She already worries about enough crap. No need to add to her list.

I have never had a bike's rear lock up on my before. Nor had one where the arse end started sliding to one side. What is your first?

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:07 PM
KCW

Garage
wow you are lucky. When the back tire locks up and starts going sideways, if it gets more than a few degrees out and you have highway speed, if the wheel unlocks it snaps straight again so fast it will throw you off the bike.

I think that is what you said happened, it snapped back in a fraction of a second...

Your post begs the question: why did it lock up? Maybe there was something on the road that made it slippery as hell? Should you be looking at your brakes.. belt drive?.. ?

If you use to skid the back tire on your bicycle when you were a kid, you can probably skid your motorcycle to stop on the rear tire, and steer into the skid to keep it from coming around on you. Its a very dangerous situation and you can ride it out to a stop. No one in the cars behind you understands that if your rear brake/wheel locks up that you have to ride it out to a dead stop.

All the more reason to worry about people riding right on your tail.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 PM

Garage
Scrumdown, I had a similar experience several years ago when I was still riding my 650 Classic. As soon as I let off the rear brakes, the bike uprighted itself and I missed the cager that turned right in front of me. I experienced the pucker factor and then a huge sigh of relief. I always ride defensively especially on my bike. Just glad you didnít hit the asphalt. BTW, what caused the sea of red? Cagers not paying attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
KCW ... It could have been seconds. It felt like a full minute. But, I know it was not. I think the sliding right was not much. Maybe two degrees. Of course it felt like 45. But again I know it was not. Maybe I did steer into the skid? I cannot be sure. All I am 100% sure of is I did not go down. The bike & I both stayed vertical and I made it to work. I think the sliding was cause be wetness in that patch of road.

Keith Post ... I do not know what caused the sea of red. My guess would be that a cager, who was already scared of driving in a tunnel. Saw someone head of them brake. So they jammed on their's. Which caused everyone behind them to.
Keith Post likes this.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:53 PM
KCW

Garage
If there was water in the road your rear tire could have hydro-planed. When it happens the tire is skimming across the water like a boat and if you even breath on the brake pedal it will lock up the tire.

Ive had it happen on the front wheels on rear engine cars. All of a sudden it feels like the steering wheel is no longer connected to anything, because it turns with no resistance at all, and you get no turning response at all.

or maybe there was oil or grease on the road, and that is what caused the stopped traffic up ahead of you.
Scrumdown likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-19-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
Riding into work this morning. I saw the usual d-bags; head down & looking into their laps OR holding their phone up & yapping away. Whatever, very aware of those idiots. Anyway, I am coming around slight bend & heading into one of the tunnels. Having just been cut off twice I was already in the process of slowing to keep my 2-4 car length of cushion I like. But, what do I see in front of me .... A SEA OF RED. So I hit the brakes. Just like I have done hundreds of times before. There is plenty of room for me to slow ...

WHAT THE F&@K! My rear tire/brakes just locked. And now my arse end is sliding to the right. First thought --- Holy Shittake Mushrooms! I am going down. Second thought --- THE F&@K I AM!

I am not 100% sure whether it was me lightly & slowly letting up on the rear brake, or engaging the clutch that corrected things. A combo of those? Or the bike just did it itself. But, I was straight & vertical within (milli) seconds & stopped before the sea of red in front of me.

I'll tell you this. I did not need a cup of coffee when I got to work. This is one ride I will not be telling the wife about for a while. She already worries about enough crap. No need to add to her list.

I have never had a bike's rear lock up on my before. Nor had one where the arse end started sliding to one side. What is your first?
It was in my first bike, an 85 Shadow and was part of the rider safety course I had to take to get my base decal.
The course required you to accelerate to 3rd by a certain point, then you were to lock up your rear brake at a certain point and would end up stopping right about in front of where an instructor stood.
Being the “hot dogger” I was, I romped HARD on the throttle & fast shifted. I locked my rear up at the designated marker and then proceeded to skid. I slid my rear around to the right then brought it back up and around to the left and then straightened it to a stop.
I skidded past the instructors “stop point” at 35mph!
He just said, “not bad”.
Scrumdown likes this.

Being ignorant is ok. Staying that way is stupid!
https://i.postimg.cc/2VBqg755/7-D6-B...75-B7-DD71.gif
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's one of those situations where I wish there was a drone following me & recording to tell me exactly what happened. So I could review to learn what I did right & wrong.

But alas. That I shot that drone down the first time I saw it.
Keith Post and KCW like this.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:12 PM
KCW

Garage
oh... dont become one of those go-pro helmet guys....

they just end up riding around hoping to god someone will do something offensive, so they can post it on eweTube! LOL!

the guys on bicycles with helmet cams are even worse...
outbackzack and Scrumdown like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Garage
Very glad you were able to recover. Riding Roadstars almost exclusively for the past 15 years, I find it's pretty easy to lock up the rear wheel especially when panic braking. Since it's a natural action in a car to stomp on the brake under those circumstances, it transfers over to my riding as a muscle memory. I have to consciously force myself to stay off the rear brake in that split second. You obviously had just the right amount of loss of contact when applying the rear brake. It may not even be panic braking, but a combination of the road curve combined with junk on the road that created that perfect storm. I try to always just use my front brake initially then my rear brake as a conscious secondary stopping assistance if needed. Not always easy to do especially in that split second.
KCW and Scrumdown like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I know when I go thru that tunnel tomorrow morning. I will be going slower. One ... to see my skid mark to see if help explain anything. Two ... Because it is just smart. Especially going thru the tunnels around here. People are scared and just cannot drive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode