Cross country trip - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Cross country trip

I've been riding less than a year, I bought a brand new (old stock) 2015 V Star 950 T, added a lot of accessories since then, fairing, Power Comander, intake, exhaust and a tour pack for the trip. We left home, central Va, and headed south to New Orleans for my girlfriends birthday. We headed west and north through Texas then across New Mexico and Arizona. Stayed in Winslow and stood on the corner and rode on route 66. Headed north to Utah and on the way stopped at the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater. From Utah we headed west through Nevada, saw the main entrance to Area 51 and a lot of nothing. Stayed in Tonaph and got a bad tank of gas, the check engine light flashed a few times above 85 mph. From Redding Ca to Eureka Ca is 149 miles and a 4 hour ride, 100 of those was the most beautiful, curveist I have ever seen. Rode through the Redwood forest and saw the sunset on the Pacific Ocean. We decided to head north and not go back through the desert, we stayed just outside of Portland Oregon. We got up for the journey back to Virginia and had breakfast, that's when things turned bad, I got very sick. It took about 3 hours to go maybe 100 miles and I felt like death warmed over. We had a limited amount of time to get home so we could go back to work so we decided to rent a box truck and head home. 50 hours later of straight driving and we pulled in the driveway. The only good thing about driving the truck was we had 2 and a half days to recover. We covered 22 states and I consider the trip to be a success, several bucket list items were checked off and we learned a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180704_172944_1532255847014.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	81524   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180709_205015_1532255895041.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	81526   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_084451_1532255932735.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	81528   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180706_075314_1532256253637.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	81536  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:22 AM

Garage
Sounds like a great bucket list trip. It's a bummer you got sick at the end, but glad it all worked out. How many miles did you average a day? What would you do different if you did it again? How was the weather?
Keith Post likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:39 AM
KCW

Garage
I plan on following your footsteps, but I think it will take me a couple years to go as far as you went, in what sounds like.. maybe a month?

Getting sick is one of those things you cannot plan for. I have fallen ill on 700 mile day trips in the car with my family - you pull into a restaurant and just stare at your dinner and dont feel like eating, but you still have 300 miles to go, and thinking maybe we should get a hotel room and stay here. Im my case I pushed on and got home ok but I was miserable, and that was in a nice big comfortable quiet car.

I have also gotten sick on shorter (200 mile) day trips on my MC. Last time I think I had the stomach flu, every time I hit a bump in the pavement it felt like someone punched me in the stomach.

Sounds like it was a great tour, in spite of the mad-dash back home.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:55 PM

Garage
Wow, nice trip. Sorry you got sick but it sounds like most of was all good. Love the Eagles reference...lol.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like a great route, I also would like to know how many miles per day you averaged. I am planning a similar trip.
Keith Post likes this.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

We would ride 5-600 miles per day and every 3rd day we would take a break and just see the local sights. We rode 4970 miles in 12 days until we loaded her on the truck. I will be taking more trips like this, I don't really think I would do anything different except make sure I take a different route each time. The worst of the weather was from Chattanooga to New Orleans, the heat index was 105-110. Riding across Nevada was not nearly as bad, I would suggest taking extra gas and at least twice as much water as you think you will need. We hit very little rain, the worst of it was when we arrived in Arizona, hail hurts like hell! We bought some extra clothes in Northern California, it was much cooler than we expected.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Sounds like an amazing trip, except for the sickness.
Keith Post likes this.

One must howl with the wolves one is among.
-Danish Proverb
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 PM

A ride like this is definitely on my bucket list. I'm lucky enough to ride to the Redwoods 6 or 7 times a year having a couple of friends up there.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 AM

Sounds like you had a great trip. I did a trip out west to Montana and Yellowstone and back last year. Hope to do it again one day. They are alot of fun.
Keith Post likes this.

2008 Stratoliner
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokerb View Post
Sounds like you had a great trip. I did a trip out west to Montana and Yellowstone and back last year. Hope to do it again one day. They are alot of fun.
I lived in San Diego for 31 yrs and on my old 91 Venture Royale, we used to go camping up around there. Stunning views!
Hopefully you had the chance to take PCH 1 all the way down through Monterey.
Keith Post likes this.

Being ignorant is ok. Staying that way is stupid!
https://i.postimg.cc/2VBqg755/7-D6-B...75-B7-DD71.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode