air filters - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415
  • 2 Post By CanadianMohawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

air filters

how often do you inspect/clean/replace your air filter?

i have what i suspect is a K&N filter on my LA Choppers XXX Big Air kit. at some point i thought it was a good idea to clean it on an annual basis, but in reality, i've really only doing so every 2 years. i found another 950 owner with the same air intake who cleans his twice a year and says there is a noticeable increase in efficiency and performance afterwards and claims to put on no more mileage than i do (average 10K miles annually). not sure what climate he rides in. so that got me thinking that i should really clean mine more often than every 2 years.

but then i looked up the cleaning instructions on K&N's website and they say you should inspect every 25K miles, be able to go anywhere from 50k-100k miles before cleaning, only need to if you can no longer see the wire screen that encases the air filter element. while i don't know if it's possible to over clean the filter as long as you're not damaging anything, are there really any significant benefits to cleaning it much more regularly than the manufacturer's suggestions?

fine, according to K&N:

dirty:

https://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM

Garage
I keep all my vehicles for a long time and fiquired out it made economic sense to install a washable air filter on every vehicle I own. For years K&N were the only real ones in the business. I've logged 10s of thousands miles with different vehicles. I usually use low air pressure to knock off the dirt every oil change. I know directions say don't use compressed air, but using common sense on air pressure I've never had issues. I will normally use the cleaning solution and reoil about once a year. Don't think you can wash them too often but be careful not to over oil.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:47 PM
Elk

I clean mine every spring just to be safe.
With the jeep it got cleaned a lot more since it was on dusty trails.

Last edited by Elk; 08-27-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:22 AM

I check my air filters at every oil change and knock off the big stuff like insects and plant material. I'll wash and re-oil my K&Ns every other oil change.
lesblank likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 AM

Garage
For any vehicles Ive had K&Ns on, Ive cleaned it yearly. Never noticed any difference afterwards.
Elk and lesblank like this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode