Do it Myself - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Do it Myself

After a year of not riding because of an oil leak and bad voltage regulator, I decided to go for it. I disassembled my 650, removed the carbs, and replaced the rubber seals and the bad screw on the valve cover. I also changed the voltage regulator because the battery wasn't charging. Took my time and put everything back together. Two issues. First, after a few tries it started up, but never above an idle. Also, when I try to throttle up, the starter kicks in again!
On top of all that, does anyone know what this brass screw on fitting goes to? For the life of me I can't remember taking it off LOLClick image for larger version

Name:	vstar pic.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	82086
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:55 PM

Garage
Did you sync the carbs. If not, sync them and the idle issues should go away. Here's link for sync tool if you don't have one.
650 CC & D

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM
KCW

Garage
hard to tell how big that brass fitting is from the photo

maybe the crankcase vent tube, from the top of the rear cylinder on the left side of the bike, to the air box above the carbs?

I cant see anything that looks like that on my 2005 650 - maybe its up under the gas tank where I cant see it. Maybe one of the hoses for the Air Injection System AIS, in which case the bike would not run right at all if its disconnected.

not sure what to make of your starter kicking in? maybe the starter button is somehow shorting when you twist the throttle?

try twisting the throttle with the key and kill switch on, and see if the starter engages

otherwise I would think something is wrong with the start clutch.

Last edited by KCW; 08-31-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode