Harbor Freight battery? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Harbor Freight battery?

Harbor freight has a generator battery. One review said its the same size as a motorcycle battery and used it on his C50.

My VStar 650 is a YT12b -bs (I think)..This "seems" to be the same size....Anyone use one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...ery-62586.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 01:24 PM
KCW

Garage
The words that are missing on the description are "glass mat" - there is an acyronim for this, I forget what it is...

For a motorcycle you want an OEM replacement - the glass mat is just what it sounds like, fiberglass matting (padding) between the plates in the battery that make it more rugged, and keep pieces of one plate vibrating loose and shorting to the next one.

I got my last battery from... I want to say Battery Shark website.. It was only around $30 4 years ago with free shipping. The have regional warehouses across the country, it only took a few days for it to arrive.

Lead acid glass mat motorcycle batteries are a very mature product - which means there are a lot of people making them, making them very well, recycling the lead nearly 100%. The one I got for my 650 was made in Vietnam and I have no issues with it. Im due for another one next spring (4 years) and that is my plan.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:13 PM

Garage
Physically fitting in the spot and working and working properly are all different items. Cold Cranking Amps, Cranking Amps, Reserve, terminal type and position are all things to consider.

Can always go with a higher CCA and CA (to a reasonable extent) without worry. Too low and you won't be able to spin the starter over quick enough to get started up.

Positive and Negative swapped or wrong terminal type will cause you the headache of not being able to connect the wires to even try to start.

Reserve isn't called out much on small battery, but entails the amount of stored charge to run lights for a set amount of time without an alternator/generator recharging.

If you are worried on cost, you can get the old lead batteries that you have to add the electrolytic juice (battery acid) and charge prior to use.

A lot of headache can occur over a few dollars, a little research (like you are doing) can save a lot of trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

The terminals are on the correct sides and the screws appear to be the same. Not sure on the CCA. I'll be the Guinea Pig and pick one up and see how it works out. The bike is off the road and just want to get it up and running before the end of the season
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 03:01 PM
KCW

Garage
Another place to get a good price on a standard glass mat battery is Interstate Batteries

if there is a Harbor Freight near you, there is probably an Interstate Battery store not far away.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Garage
AMG battery for $32., just a suggestion.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode