To Dyno Or Not To Dyno - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
To Dyno Or Not To Dyno

So I'm looking at prices for dyno tuning and they are not bad. My understanding is that dyno tuning will correct any engine rough areas and smooth it out, get everything tip top, an I right? Have you had this done and was it worth the expense? I guess my goal is maximum performance and really everything exactly as it should be. Is $275 clams a fair price?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno Prices.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	82096  

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?

Last edited by Highwayman; 09-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:07 PM
KCW

Garage
If your bike is mostly stock and you have only modified intake air filter setup and exhaust, I dont think it should be necessary to put your bike on a dyno and let someone tune the carbs or fuel injection mapping.

If you have changed the pistons and cams, put a hyper charger or turbo on the engine.. then you would be looking at running the bike on a dyno. I am assuming the equipment can also measure the levels of oxygen in your exhaust and determine the fuel mixture.

Just tweaking the carb settings for maximum HP output does not tune the engine correctly. Peak HP may be obtained with the engine running very rich or lean, and that is not acceptable for a street bike.

The other thing to keep in mind, if something is wrong with your bike - plugged jets, dirty injectors, flaky fuel pump, wonky air intake system, vacuum leak, bad sensors, low compression, burnt valve, leaky rings... you cannot tune those things out. If your bike is not 100% when you put it on the dyno, you are wasting your money.
bevo1981 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Garage
I've dyno many cars but no bikes. To me the best tune is highest average horse power, not peak. The highest average gives you best drivable and in quarter mile times will be within hundreds of a second.
bevo1981 and KCW like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay. Good info. Thanks.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:02 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I would ALWAYS recommend a dyno tune. No just for the numbers, but you are in a controlled environment to do pulls as fast or as slow as you want. You can get correct A/F readings. Then you get to know the numbers if that is important to you.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode