Seat modification help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By Alienation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Seat modification help

So I was reading up about modifying the stock seat, and I have an idea of the shape I'm going after, but I'm stuck on one aspect. I do not have an air stapler, nor access to one! I don't want to have to buy an expensive tool just to do a cheap modification, as it would be more cost effective to just buy a new seat in that case. My question is, can I use anything else besides staples to fasten the material back? Short screws with washers? Holes with string (twine, yarn, leather binding?), ANYTHING else? I know I can rent something, and if that's the route, but I don't even own an air compressor. Some enlightenment from all the knowledgeable would go a long way in the decision I need to make! Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:49 AM
KCW

Garage
I pulled the cover off the stock seat on my VS650, carved the foam down to make a tail bone channel in the middle, added some foam to the front to stop me from sliding forwards everytime I hit a bump

then put the original cover back on.

I used very short sheet metal screws with washers on them. The base of the seat is pretty thick plastic. Cant remember if I used #4 or #6 screws - used maybe half as many as the number of staples.

It is rough on the wrist putting all those screws into the plastic, but it worked out well. Seat was much more comfortable after the mods.

Have you found the motorcycle DIY seat mod website? Home

carving the foam down with a 4 1/2" angle grinder sounds insane, and it works amazingly well - as long as you only wipe the foam in the "pulling" direction, and dont push the edge of the wheel into the foam.

Practice on some closed cell foam before you touch the seat with it. And do it outside.
bevo1981 likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Awesome! I was concerned the screws may affect the vinyl by tearing it, but sounds great. I won't be using an angle grinder, I will be using a hacksaw blade and some sandpaper, then glueing some carpet underlay to the top, as to make a dual density seat of sorts (650ccnd mod). Glad I got such a quick reply, as I have almost all morning to complete this mod. This afternoon is supposed to be sunny and warm, and wouldn't mind getting out and testing my new bars and seat together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:10 AM
KCW

Garage
practice with your cutting blade and sandpaper on scrap foam then.

I tried cutting foam with a box cutter, and it was pretty crappy.

the angle grinder is like spreading soft frosting with a warm knife.

If you have a dremil tool then a sanding drum might work.

If you are worried about the washers on the covering material, get oversized washers - they call them fender washers.

Last edited by KCW; 09-17-2018 at 11:51 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha thanks, I’m well versed when it comes to construction materials and fasteners. I started my carpentry when I was first able to use a table saw, and have been taught traditional methods for many years. I’m good with metal work as well, just don’t have all the necessary tools associated, and the knowledge for seat modification is lacking as this would be the first time. I appreciate all the help though, as this is my first mod of this kind.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 AM
KCW

Garage
I was anxious when I decided to tear into my seat. I could not ride for more than half an hour without my butt going numb.

I figured if I screw the seat up I will have to get another one, and if I dont modify my seat I will have to get another one anyway... so there was no way to lose.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I was anxious when I decided to tear into my seat.
I'm interested as well. Please take some pic as to where you remove or add padding.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:26 PM
KCW

Garage
I didnt take any photos, but described what I did at the end of this thread a few years back: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...-seat-mod.html
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Garage
Just a note, I'm looking into modding my seats as well and I also don't have an air stapler or access to one. But I've found electric ones at Canadian Tire (for us Canucks) for $25 or $30 bucks. I'm sure they can be had even cheaper stateside. They're obviously not top of the line, but I don't mind spending that much for a tool that I'll probably only use a couple of times. But if screws work, hey, that's even cheaper. Just thought I'd mention it.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry guys, but I didn't take any pictures...seat mod went good, although I think I took too much off haha. Oh well, will have to do for now until I buy a new seat. I left 2 inches of foam all around, and added high quality carpet underlay to the top before putting the cover back on. Because of such a large amount of foam taken off, the cover didn't quite stretch to fit, but I put it all back togther anyway with #6x3/8 screws and washers. LOTS of them, every inch and a half or so...provides a lot more back support, but hindsight is 20/20 and should have left a little more foam, maybe another half inch or so. Will buy new seat in the future.
Note to others thinking of the mid...buy a cheap motorcycle seat to practice on! Overall, the seat is more comfortable than before shaving it down due to the added back support, and the dual density because of adding the underlay, just a little too low.
lesblank and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode