Hoist a MC by the crashbars? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By patrickdk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Hoist a MC by the crashbars?

I went to pull the front wheel off my Royal Star, and found I cannot use my normal blocking method to get the front wheel off the ground.

On my 650 I can put a 4x6 block under the right side of the frame, lean the bike up off the kick stand onto the block

then slide a 4x6 plus a 2x4 under the left side of the frame, then lean the bike to the left and slide another 2x4 under the right side...

doing this with the 650 I can easily 'walk' the bike up and push the blocks in place. Tried to do it with the Royal Star (710 lbs) and its too much to do by myself.

I will be able to use the blocks when my son is home, I can sit on the bike and lean it as needed side to side, and he can push the blocks in place.

But Im looking for better way to lift the bike. A lift from Harbor freight is an obvious $100 solution, if it will fit under the bike without hitting the exhaust (which is lower than the frame on one side).

The bike has crash bars on the front. We have a bridge crane at work. Im wondering if I would bend the crash bars if I used them to lift the bike from above with straps?

Using a spreader bar to keep the straps from crushing the gas tank is easy.

Last edited by KCW; 09-24-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:52 AM

Garage
I have one of the "cheap" lifts from Harbor Freight. Works on my 1100 and Harley. I would suggest to get one as it works, bike is stable and it's a one person job. Check for coupons, I think I paid $59 for mine with on line coupon.

KCW likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:52 AM

Not sure about the crashbars on that bike, I know mine, the top isn't really mounted and would bend, bu the botton of the crashbars would be safe.
I went and got a big red motorcycle jack from craigslist for $50, seems to be mostly an endless supply on there, just pricing range a lot.

Been very happy lifting my bike using the jack.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
KCW

Garage
Thanks guys - I never got a lift for the 650 because the engine extends below the frame, and you have to make a matching subframe to catch it in the right place with a lift.

I think the V4 on the Royal Star will clear the lift - will take another look at it tonight. Strangely the exhaust on the left side of the bike is below the frame, but on the right side its above the frame.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:16 AM

I think the 950 is the same way, but I can just clear around it ok. My real issue is, the length is pretty much exact, so I have to make sure it is exactly centered perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode