Winterizing you motorcycle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Winterizing you motorcycle

At the beginning of every spring most posts are about someone's bike not starting. Our northern riders are already seeing lower temps. So let's help prevent the starting issues before they happen. Living in the south winter means cooler temperatures and rain, but I still ride. So I always do a deep cleaning and full wax on my bike before winter hits so rust and corrosion will not start. Will the veteran motorcycle winterizers please jump in and explain what you do and why, no matter how minor, in order to make sure your bike is spring ready.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:34 PM

Garage
Like you, a good wash and wax, then some fuel stabilizer. My garage isn't heated so I bring the battery inside and put it on a trickle charger. It always fires right up in the spring. This year I have a lift so I might lift it up so the tires are just off the floor and strap it to the jack before putting the cover on it for it's long winter nap.
lesblank and CanadianMohawk like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags

Last edited by NorthernRider; 09-26-2018 at 06:37 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
Like you, a good wash and wax, then some fuel stabilizer. My garage is't heated so I bring the battery inside and put it on a trickle charger. It always fires right up in the spring. This year I have a lift so I might lift it up so the tires are just off the floor and strap it to the jack before putting the cover on it for it's long winter nap.
How about the oil, do you change before storage, before you start riding again or just whenever due?

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:42 PM

Garage
Usually whenever it's due, but always in the spring before riding season. It's due now so I'll probably use 10W40 and change that out in the spring.
lesblank and KCW like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
KCW, this is for you.

NorthernRider and graybeard like this.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:54 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
...My garage isn't heated so I bring the battery inside and put it on a trickle charger. ...
Two things:

chemical reactions are slower at lower temperatures. I think you are better keeping your battery in a cold garage than a warm house, provided the battery stays charged.

A trickle charger puts out a small current all the time. Motorcycle batteries are small enough that a trickle charger for a car will over charge a MC battery.

You either need to check the battery once a month, and if its below 12V put the trickle charger on it for several hours till it ramps up to about 13V, then unplug it and check it next month.

You can use any 12VDC wall adapter rated for 100mA to 500mA for a trickle charger on a lead acid battery, just keep track of the voltage while its charging, and DONT leave it on all winter.

Otherwise you need to spend $30 to $50 and get a battery "tender". It has active circuits that read the battery voltage, and then decide if it needs the trickle turned on for a while. Shake rinse and repeats by itself. You dont have to take the battery off the bike, or even unhook it to use either.

If you have a bike with key fobs or alarms or clocks or other stuff that is "on" when the key is off, you either need to disconnect the battery from the bike for the winter, or you have to use a battery tender, because the connected bike will drain the battery down while its parked.

Last edited by KCW; 11-16-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM

Garage
Once a month I put the charger on it for 24 hours. That seems to keep it up and I don't risk overcharging it. I've seen too many batteries freeze to leave it in my unheated garage all winter.
KCW and CanadianMohawk like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Garage
I wash it if it needs it, fill the tank, put in stabilizer, change the oil, pull the battery and put it on tender inside my house, then put a cover over it.

Oh.. since this is my first winter with a carb'ed bike, I also turned the petcock to off and ran it till died (after oil change and stablizer).
lesblank and KCW like this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Garage
I leave the treated fuel in my carbs. Keeps all the rubber parts nice and moist so they don't dry out and crack.
KCW, CanadianMohawk and Rufus49 like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
I leave the treated fuel in my carbs. Keeps all the rubber parts nice and moist so they don't dry out and crack.
interesting. I have no idea if draining them was good or bad but this makes sense to me.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode