Still reliable - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By matteblack
  • 1 Post By Scrumdown
  • 1 Post By matteblack
  • 2 Post By NGM
  • 3 Post By Diogenes415

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Still reliable

Since I acquired the 1100 in June I’ve logged on close to 4000 trouble free miles, so far so good. In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes. I'll usually say "F*** Harley-Davidson." – Ralph "Sonny" Barger, Hell's Angel [6]
Scrumdown likes this.

Last edited by lesblank; 09-27-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Profanity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Garage
I've never really understood the view of "only one bike is the only bike and it is the best." Whether it be Harleys, Triumphs or Yamahas. I associate motorcycles to women. I love all women! They all have something about them that I enjoy. It's just that my personality fits better with and I like certain types. Just like motorcycles. I love them all! It's just that I am drawn towards certain look and function.
eruby likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
... I'll usually say "F*** Harley-Davidson." Ralph "Sonny" Barger, Hell's Angel [6]
He was smart enough to ride a Sportster instead of a BT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Variety is a wonderful thing scrum. But big twin Harleys like high maintenance women require a lot of attention and although they're nice to look at , they often leave you pennyless and somewhat dissatisfied
Scrumdown likes this.

Last edited by matteblack; 09-27-2018 at 06:01 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
Variety is a wonderful thing scrum. But big twin Harleys like high maintenance women require a lot of attention and although they're nice to look at , they often leave you pennyless and somewhat dissatified
Weird we have 2 of them and do not have that issue. Maint is as easy or easier than my SVTC. Shrug, I guess that is why there is more than one bike in the world and more than 1 bike manufacture.
lesblank and Scrumdown like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:18 AM

BTs are just like most other motorcycles that have become modernized to the point they are almost like modern cars, maintenance and repairs have become more complicated or involved than they need to be (from this curmudgeon's point of view). For instance replacing a clutch cable on a Sporty (old school design) is a road-side repair which takes less than a half hour even if you are mechanically challenged but replacing one on a TC88 involves dumping tranny oil, loosening the exhaust to get to the tranny cover bolts and pulling the paper gasketed tranny cover to get at the clutch cable retention assembly. Doing an oil change on an XVS1100 without an external filter relocation kit is more involved than it really needs to be because loosening an exhaust is necessary. But then if that's what you grew up with or are accustomed to, these service requirements are no big deal and par for the course. To us old farts who remember 10 minute oil changes and were used to spending a few minutes on regularly checking and adjusting points ignitions in our sleep, modern bikes are a "wtf were the designers thinking?" affair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode