Good Cornering cruiser - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Good Cornering cruiser

I posted this in the Royal star forum but thought I would post here also for more feedback. Can the RSTD be ridden “spiritedly” on the back roads? Do the metal bits hit the road before the fun can begin? Any recommendations for a spirited cruiser? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 AM
KCW

Garage
The royal star tour deluxe is a full bagger intended for touring and riding 2 up.

I have taken the windshield, saddle bags and passenger seat off my Royal star "Boulevard" and only put them on when needed.

There is a great V4 bike under all that extra gear. You can also crank the rear suspension up higher, and the front forks have an air preload that can C A R E F U L L Y be set from 0 to 7 psi to stiffen up the front end. (with a bicycle pump it only takes about 4" of stroke on the pump handle to go from 0 to 7psi. About 8" of pump handle stroke = blown out front shocks)

The tour deluxe carbs are bigger than the base model Royal Star, you are looking at 90 something HP (74HP for a base model Royal Star).

So... yes you can tighen and lighten the bike up, but its still a ~700 lb machine with all the bagger/touring stuff removed.

If you really want a sporty touring bike, I would recommend the FJR1300 - same engine displacement but about 150HP, water cooled, shaft drive, but its designed to be a sport touring bike.

In general the V star bikes are configured to be cruiser bikes, not cool looking sports bikes.

The closest thing I would compare a Royal Star bike to is the early 4 cylinder Goldwings, but in a cruiser bike format instead of a UJM style bike.

Last edited by KCW; 10-10-2018 at 08:33 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I have a sport standard (zrx1200). I’m just looking for a cruiser to lope around on but I would like the ability to “lean” into some corners when I want to get up and go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode