Next season riding NE ohio - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Next season riding NE ohio

Well Riding season is just about over for us in NE ohio. I'm am finding myself wanting more from rides than just the usual bar stops and usual cruise. I was wondering if there are groups or folks that do long one day ride's where more time is on the seat instead of a bar stool..start in the morning and home at dark. I did a ride to GA and back which is 10hrs one way, did all 10hrs straight through, there and back and just really dig that kind of riding. Looking forward to hearing whats out there!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:42 PM

Garage
I do many (10+ a year) day long rides of 400 miles plus. Sometimes to visit grandchildren (400 miles round trip), sometimes by myself but usually wife is with me. Wife and I went on two long weekend rides this year, one for 3 days and the other was 4 days. Lucky to have wife that is very much into bikes and cars. She goes to drag strip with me when I race. She does get burned out with my hobbies from time to time, but those times are few and far between. Lucky to live in Texas with year round riding. Plus I commute daily in two wheels. I totalled a tad over 14k on two wheels last year. I'm sure there are others that put more miles on their bike yearly but I do work 50 plus hours a week. Riding is my therapy and passion.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 PM
KCW

Garage
Im not big on group rides. Im more attracted by the spirit of rugged individualism and independence you get on a motorcycle. I like to head out for the day or a weekend and hit maybe a 200 mile round trip in one day, or a 200 to 300 mile overnight stay on a weekend.

Not sure where you are in NE Ohio, but there are lots of places you could head to in one day:

the Allegheny National Forrest in PA,
Allegheny State Park in NY is a 25 mile loop with two lakes and nothing but old growth forest.
Pittsburgh
Cedar Point in Ohio (in the other direction)

and if you pushed yourself a little more in one day, or with an overnight stay you could reach:
Buffalo - Piece Arrow antique car museum,
Naval Park with two ships and a submarine to explore

Niagara Falls about 40 minutes further

Hammondsport to the east - Curtis Museum of aircraft and motorcycles

Corning museum of glass

Letchworth State Park near Portageville (from your side)

Take a loop around any of the Finger Lakes

there are a lot of great MC roads in western PA and western NY. In fact it would be hard to find a bad place to ride if you avoid the big cities.

If you want to get a little more ambitious, take the loop around Lake Erie, maybe a 3 day weekend.

BTW, I cant tell from your avatar photo, which bike are you riding? With that fairing it sure looks road worthy.
lesblank and bctrembley44 like this.

Last edited by KCW; 10-22-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:01 PM

Garage
I usually ride alone, taking 200 to 300 mile trips to wherever the wind takes me. But I have had the opportunity to go on a few group rides during motorcycle rallys and had a great time. I recently joined a new chapter of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club here in NB. They're based out of Nashville and focus on family oriented tours. My new job involves a lot of weekends so I haven't had a chance to do any riding with them yet before the weather changed but I'm hoping to go on some good tours next summer. It's a new chapter so there are only a handful of members so far, so there won't be any large group rides. I still plan on taking plenty of solo rides too, but it's nice to have options.
lesblank and bctrembley44 like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

KCW,
Thanks for the advice! That all sounds perfect....that will be the plan next season. I will save those as my list and keep you posted. My bike is a 2000 Vstar 1100 classic. I was a perfect ride GA. and back! Take care and all the best!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:08 AM

There is a place in s.e. ohio called the windy 9 I think they have several trips based out of one town down there,,,if you google it they will send you info on it..I am up in mi but thinking about taking a trip down there early spring..Look it up you could make a few days put of it . Hit me up in spring I would be down for a road trip there myself..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickdoctor View Post
There is a place in s.e. ohio called the windy 9 I think they have several trips based out of one town down there,,,if you google it they will send you info on it..I am up in mi but thinking about taking a trip down there early spring..Look it up you could make a few days put of it . Hit me up in spring I would be down for a road trip there myself..
That's sounds awesome! Will do and thanks for the info!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:46 AM

Garage
bc, why donít you come down south and attend the Southeast members rally for 2019. We meet in the mountains in NC and ride to different venues each day, we donít bar hop, we go to different paths and meet up for dinner each night.
Last month we had our inaugural event and for a first time run, we were very pleased and made a lot of new friends. You donít have to be from the Southeast region to attend. Two of our attendees came all the way from Canada! I hope youíll consider it and weíll be posting the dates, etc, pretty soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode