( RANT ) Motorcycle Community can suck - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The Motorcycle Community might be the most judge mental MFers in the World

Just joining the Motorcycle family six months ago I had no idea how much hate is spread over so many areas and it's just ridiculous

Cruiser -vs- crotch rocket ? I don't care what you ride it's your thing not mine so I don't give two ..... about trying to do a 120 and not enjoying the open road. I hit 100 yesterday and was just relaxing and enjoying the scenery

Harley -vs- Import - $$$ come on ? Riding a Harley doesn't make you special. I know a lot of broke jobless people with them. I personally chose my Vstar because I want to know it's going to start when am ready and don't want to spend my time working on it.

Hand wave or not ? - I will wave at a moped if they are out enjoying the day. I just want to see everyone enjoying themselves and being safe

I don't need a club - I have a family and
am old and tired lol

Why can't we just love riding bikes and wish everyone a safe and fun trip ?

Anyone have any stories of their own to share ?

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO

Last edited by bevo1981; 11-20-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:06 AM

Garage
Very valid observation. I checked out many forums until calling this forum home. The core posters here only care about enjoyment of riding and assisting others in keeping their bike road worthy. Many forums you will always get a standard answer to a question, "use the search function". At times you will see that here but normally the issue is addressed and maybe a link to previous answers. If you look at the forum garage you will see many members here have different makes of bikes and found this forum via The Star / Yamaha brand. Some no longer have the bike that brought them here but they stay due to friends and experiences posted here. We have the "Lounge" threads here to talk about non bike related stuff that can be an interesting read at times. So pull up a chair and stay with one of the best motorcycle forums on the old interweb.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM
KCW

Garage
There is a real paradox with motorcycle riders.

If I were to stick one label on a rider it would be Rugged Individual. The characterization of someone with a machine that is as simple as it can be to get you from A to Z and everywhere in between, willing to face the elements and the wind, choosing his own path on the roads, setting his own schedule, and enjoying the experience of riding just as much, if not more, than the need to be somewhere else.

With that set of requirements:

Do I care what my motorcycle looks like? No. All I can see when Im riding is the mirrors and the headlight bucket. Im not looking at my bike while Im riding it, Im looking where I want it to go.

Do I care what other people think when they see me ride by? No. I only care about the thoughts going thru my mind. There are 7 billion people on Earth, and Im not spending any time or any money trying to alter the thoughts flowing thru anyone elses head at any given instant.

Do I care what I look like? Yes, no and yes... When I decided to get my MC license I was going to get black HD Iron, black leather jacket, black helmet. After taking the MSF course I got a red textile jacket, a red and silver motorcycle, I have a silver metal flake helmet that is retro reflective, and I wear a florescent work vest with retro reflective bars on it over my riding jacket. I dont care if other people think I look cool or sexy or tough, or if I fit their image of what a rider should look like. I just want everyone to SEE ME all the time, esp if I ever end up on the pavement away from my MC.

Does it matter what bike I ride? No. I have several cousins who ride Harleys. My grandfather had a HD back in the 1920s. There is a strong family connection there. When I got my license after taking the MSF course I went to a HD dealer with $3000 cash in my pocket to get a NEW Iron sportster. The dealer would not let me take any bike for a test ride. That was my first exposure to the HD "attitude". I ended up getting my Vstar 650 used for $3300 cash, later found out it is THE most reliable MC that was on the market at the time, and just by pure luck I could not be happier. Now I have two vstar bikes. Every time I have wanted to ride the bike has always fired right up, Ive never been stranded anywhere, never had to tow the bike anywhere.

The motorcycle wave is pretty much undefined. When I first started riding I thought it was pretty cool. Very seldom does another rider leave you hanging. Personally when I wave to another rider Im thinking one thing "we are all out here in this soup together, and I got your back brother, no matter what". If I see a bike on the side of the road I always stop, no matter what Im riding or driving. When I wave Im showing my nature. If they wave or dont wave, they are showing their nature. Thats all.

I have joked with others here, when someone starts throwing a hissy fit over something stupid, and tell them "you are going to have to turn in your bronze Rugged Individual Rider pin if you keep acting that way. You are correct, sometimes motorcycle riders get all emotional over the stupidest things.

Need to draw a flow chart:
1 does your motorcycle run?
2 is it snowing?
3 go for a ride

I ride because I like to ride.

Last edited by KCW; 11-18-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
There is a real paradox with motorcycle riders.

If I were to stick one label on a rider it would be Rugged Individual. The characterization of someone with a machine that is as simple as it can be to get you from A to Z and everywhere in between, willing to face the elements and the wind, choosing his own path on the roads, setting his own schedule, and enjoying the experience of riding just as much, if not more, than the need to be somewhere else.

With that set of requirements:

Do I care what my motorcycle looks like? No. All I can see when Im riding is the mirrors and the headlight bucket. Im not looking at my bike while Im riding it, Im looking where I want it to go.

Do I care what other people think when they see me ride by? No. I only care about the thoughts going thru my mind. There are 7 billion people on Earth, and Im not spending any time or any money trying to alter the thoughts flowing thru anyone elses head at any given instant.

Do I care what I look like? Yes, no and yes... When I decided to get my MC license I was going to get black HD Iron, black leather jacket, black helmet. After taking the MSF course I got a red textile jacket, a red and silver motorcycle, I have a silver metal flake helmet that is retro reflective, and I wear a florescent work vest with retro reflective bars on it. I dont care if other people think I look cool or sexy or tough, or if I fit there image of what a rider should look like. I just want everyone to SEE ME all the time.

Does it matter what bike I ride? No. I have several cousins who ride Harleys. My grandfather had a HD back in the 1920s. There is a strong family connection there. When I got my license after taking the MSF course I went to a HD dealer with $3000 cash in my pocket to get a NEW Iron sportster. The dealer would not let me take any bike for a test ride. That was my first exposure to the HD "attitude". I ended up getting my Vstar 650 used for $3300 cash, later found out it is THE most reliable MC that was on the market at the time, and just by pure luck I could not be happier. Now I have two vstar bikes. Everytime I have wanted to ride the bike has always fired right up, Ive never been stranded anywhere, never had to tow the bike anywhere.

The motorcycle wave is pretty much undefined. When I first started riding I thought it was pretty cool. Very seldom does another rider 'leave you hanging". Personally when I wave to another rider Im thinking one thing "we are all out here in this soup together, and I got your back brother, no matter what". If I see a bike on the side of the road I always stop, no matter what Im riding or driving. When I wave Im showing my nature. If they wave or dont wave, they are showing their nature. Thats all.

I have joked with others here, when someone starts throwing a hissy fit over something stupid, and tell them "you are going to have to turn in your bronze Rugged Individual Rider pin if you keep acting that way.

I ride because I like to ride.
Absolutely my thoughts just stated in a way better way.

I didn't start riding looking to belong, just been wanting to for years so the Wifey and I could enjoy the open road without the cage. Really never thought about the other side of it

Great read KCW and I've never thought twice about my vstar, absolutely love it
Keith Post, lesblank, KCW and 2 others like this.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 05:23 PM

Garage
I agree with AsphaltWarrior,
Excellent view KCW! Well stated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NorthernRider likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:13 AM

Garage
Great posts, guys.

I started riding at age 70 - met a lot of riders at our local coffeeshop where riders gather to meet their own kind and came across many types - I'm riding a Yamaha 650 and ride year round so didn't really fit the sun and shine crowd.

Migrated to the dusty group who spend most time riding whatever they can afford and putting on miles.

Yesterday was sunny, +5C (41F) and only saw two of the dusty gang - today it wasn't as warm but still managed an hour and a half and saw no one - the ride was still great.

The old timers just shake their heads at me but I think they forget the fun of the challenge.

As for the sun and sun shiney types - mostly HDs - they didn't buy bikes to get them covered with winter time road grime - as if the grime doesn't wash off in the rain come springtime - oh, well.

Never really considered myself a rugged individual - wife says I'm bats**t crazy
Keith Post and KCW like this.

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:24 AM

I hear all of you. I had a 40 year riding hiatus and now have have been riding solid for the last 13 years. My wife thought I too had "gone around the bend" few times...prolly since I've ridden at 12 degrees f and enjoyed the ride. Funny how when the temps went down the HD riders disappear....me....I just love the ride....

And I'll wave if I see a two wheeled anything....

and id I see a bike by the roadside...I;ll stop and see if they are ok....been there a couple of times myself...

all in all,,,,enjoy the ride and give help to riders...

T
Keith Post, lesblank, KCW and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:55 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrench View Post

Never really considered myself a rugged individual - wife says I'm bats**t crazy
you are riding in November when its 40F - thats rugged
you are riding when no one else is riding - thats individuality

as far as being BSCrazy, its not mutually exclusive with the first two
Keith Post and NorthernRider like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:08 PM

Garage
And which one can you relate to?

NorthernRider likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:07 PM

Garage
KCW
Quote:
There are 7 billion people on Earth, and Im not spending any time or any money trying to alter the thoughts flowing thru anyone elses head at any given instant.
I on the other hand would very much like to control and alter the thoughts in minds of others. Primarily for diabolical purposes and secondarily for giggles.
lesblank, Toymaker and divewelder like this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, heres a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?

Last edited by bevo1981; 11-24-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode