Preface on advice I post - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 17Likes
  • 7 Post By lesblank
  • 6 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By Keith Post
  • 2 Post By Scrumdown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Preface on advice I post

I offer a lot of advice here based on my experience of the same or similar situations. Please do not take my suggestions as the only fix. Years ago as a young college student trying to survive life I had to make decisions based on cost effective, safe and repairs within my expertise. Most worked but some didn't and I learned from them. Today a PM was sent to me telling me I was offering unsafe advice. All advice I give has been tried by me with success. I will always try to find a post that is not mine to elaborate and validate advice. I learned to ride and repair bikes before many of the redundant safety features we have today. Here's a few examples of what some people would think unsafe but I've been doing for years. I will patch a tube in a motorcycle tire and feel safe. I will plug certain holes in tubeless tires and feel safe. I'm always on my bike when I start it. I've bypassed kick stand switches. I've bypassed neutral safety switch. I've bypassed clutch switch. I was taught to be on the bike, clutch in, in neutral whenever I start a bike and still do today. So to me all those safety switches are for people who don't start their bike in the saddle. It's all personal choice. I cut my petcock to the off position when I'm done riding. I do check all my lights every morning, it's easy to do sitting on bike. I've added tire pressure monitoring caps to my tires and look at them every morning. I've used heli coils as a permanent repair on spark plugs and has worked for years. I only post my experience with the intention of safely helping others. If anyone thinks I'm posting an unsafe solution to an issue please post in an open forum so the pros and cons can be discussed so a safe resolution can be reached. Some only post the "by the book" resolution and I applaud them, but it's not always the only way to fix the issue. Sorry for the rant, I was a little bent that someone suggested I was giving inaccurate and unsafe advice. If a moderator wants to delete my rant, please do. I don't need a warning on my coffee cup that the contents are hot, maybe some do.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM
KCW

Garage
I agree with Les.

The internet is a valuable source of information and knowledge as long as you understand that what you get is a bell curve from one extreme end to the other, with the truth somewhere in the middle.

We are not offering motorcycle religion that must be taken on faith, because we say so. The great thing about real knowledge and understanding is that everything in the real world can be put to the test, and if the answers you supplied are correct the thing will work, and if not it wont. If someone has a reason to do things one way and not the other way, they can explain the reasons and people can decide for themselves.

There is also a range of what is acceptable engineering and technician implementation, ranging from how NASA would fix your machine, to how a trained dealership mechanic will fix your machine for $100/hr, to the average do it yourself owner, all the way to "Im stuck on the side of the road and I need the bike to run 50 miles to get home" without putting it on a trailer.

Ive learned a lot since I got my bike 6 years ago and have been on this website for 3 or 4 years now. The first thing you learn when you get out of engineering school is you have to lose the ego. Its not about me or you, its all about the project. There are many ways to get something built or fixed (engineers always have a plan B) and if the approach works it is correct. There is no best way, just solutions that work, and ones that dont. Some solutions are more expensive, some are high maintenance, some are very elegant and other are cumbersome. But in the end, the machine works like its suppose to, or it doesnt.

Last edited by KCW; 11-18-2018 at 03:56 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:55 PM

Garage
I agree with both of you gentlemen and concur completely.
For me itís very helpful to find out resolutions for issues or problems someone has faced or dealt with. Some things are just not always black and white.
Iíve learned a lot from both of you and many others on our forum which is why Iím still here and plan to remain so.
As a moderator I see no reason to delete your post Les, you have helped a lot of us, entertained many of us with your humor, and very credible information.
Keep doing what youíre very good at and we are very excited about seeing you and your family next September in NC for our 2019 Southeast members rally. I now return you to your regular scheduled programming....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank and Toymaker like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:40 AM

Garage
KCW ... it is great, that as an engineer you learn to out the project first before who & knew there was one then one way to complete a project. Knowng some are better then others. But, the end result is the same. Job is completed.
I wish my old man realized that. It would have saved him & I many, many, arguments. (He had his masters in Electrical Engineering & his juris doctorate; he was a patent lawyer.) I will say this though. Our arguements taught me to see all sides. AND try to reach a compromise that was best for all. Or at least the majority.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode