Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Yamaha Pats wonderful Weekend road trip.

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Yamaha Pat 
#1 ·
Saturday before Thanksgiving. Sacramento to Fieldbrook Ca. 804 miles total left 5:00am 33 degrees. After about 75 miles my hands were frozen and I had to take a leak at Cowboy Camp on Hwy 16. Damn forgot my hand warmers so I do the peepee dance until I warm up my hands and am able to work the zipper.I will post more pics when I get the chance. 1st pic is Cowboy Camp then Clearlake and Lake Mendencino.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a great ride, maybe a little cold, but let's you appreciate when the weather is just right.

Reactions: Yamaha Pat
#3 ·
Starting to warm up about mid 40's, Leggett Ca. and the drive thru tree. Piercy Ca. and Confusion Hill. I love tourist traps.

Attachments

#5 ·
I tired fishing off the beach at Hatteras in the outer banks a few summers ago.

I never got a single bite the whole week I was there. Watching the pelicans drop out of the sky like bricks and come up with a fish everytime just made the fishing all that more... enjoyable

and frustrating... I could plainly see the fish were out there....

#20 ·
You have to go to the very tip of Hatteras. Past the museum. My wife and I go every year to fish and have our spot we stake claim to. You would need to either walk or have a 4x4 to reach it but it's nice to just sit on the beach all day without the crowds and fish. We caught a few crabs on the sound side this year as well.

Reactions: Keith Post
#9 ·
It really is an incredible ride and yes the area around Hwy. 16 has great roads and views. The fairing helped but I was pretty layered up. I wear a 3/4 helmet and am thinking about face protection. My nose was cold. Here are a couple more of Cowboy Camp, My friend Yaqui, Leaving the drive-thru tree I thought it was a good omen for Thanksgiving and pulling up to the front yard of my buddies new place up in Fieldbrook. Ca.

Attachments

#10 ·
Very nice, there are a lot of good rides up there and 16 is good. For other NCal riders, Pashnit.com is reorganizing and is now free, asking for donations if you feel like it. I think it's worth while and suggest checking it out if it's new to you. A good start is: Highway 36 | California Motorcycle Roads | Pashnit.

This is my first post here, I just picked up a V-Star 1100 as I've been without a bike for about 10 years. After going down for the 2nd time commuting to work, my wife put up a fuss. Now I retired and don't need to commute and get tempted to split lanes :). I'm still working the bike and will formally introduce myself and post pics in a few weeks but I've been enjoying reading and learning of all of your experiences here. Looking at good rides like this makes me want to post now. Later all,

Boots
Antioch, CA

#13 ·
#11 ·
Welcome Boots, About 20 minutes from my buddies place is Trinidad Ca. These are a few from our hike at the beach.

Attachments

#12 ·
Beautiful. Looks like some good Abalone spots!

Boots
Antioch, CA

#14 ·
^ thats weird, you have to post in the new member introduction section before you can post anywhere else

but he didnt

is everything in the universe coming unglued this week?! :^O

Reactions: Yamaha Pat
#15 ·
Rules, you gotta follow rules? Sorry guys, I was lurking and reading hoping to get pretty pics before introducing myself. Now that I've done so in the appropriate forum, I will behave. :grin:

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA

#16 ·
I'm kind of jealous of my friends property 10 acres almost half redwoods. He bought it for the house and the meadows. First one is on the road up to his house he didn't want to move. There's old stumps around his property. Goats, chickens and bees. Fruit trees and a nice garden.

Attachments

Reactions: lesblank
#17 ·
My buddy bought this property for the house and meadow. After he bought it he was exploring and found this. A bear took out a plum tree near the driveway.

Attachments

Reactions: KCW
#19 ·
I want a members only jacket. Me, Mike and Tom a couple of high school buddies hanging out. Leaving Mikes to McKinleyville. I have got to see the worlds tallest totem Pole.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
^ thats where we were. Caught enough crabs in the bay side to cook and at least have a few each.

Did catch a flounder in the bay side, I think maybe I snagged it with the hook, it wasnt big enough to be worth keeping.

The inlet there is great, so much better than the area of the beach next to all the houses.

If you take the ferry to the next island south, nearly the entire ocean side is untouched.

If you want to fish in the ocean you really need a boat to get off shore into deeper water. The entire time I spent fishing from the shore, I did not see anyone else catch anything either (excepting the pelicans).

#22 ·
Heading back home leaving Mckinleyville 35 degrees at least this time I have hand warmers. Stop in Eureka for the Carson Mansion and the Pink Lady. A view from a rest stop and the Avenue of the Giants.

Attachments

#23 ·
A few more from the Avenue. Including another drive thru tree and my favorite place to stay when I don't stay at my buddies.

Attachments

#24 ·
Last bunch. Did I mention that I like tourist traps. One of my favorites then a stop on Hwy. 16 about 30 miles southeast of Cowboy Camp with interesting geology.

Attachments

Reactions: KCW
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.