Adding a new little brother to be family $1000 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes
  • 2 Post By AsphaltWarrior
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 3 Post By AsphaltWarrior
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Notgrownup
  • 1 Post By AsphaltWarrior
  • 1 Post By Notgrownup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Picking up my 1100's new little brother 2006 650 VStar for $1000 clear title from a buddy

Interested in your thoughts Gents

4600 miles with some upgrades so think it's a pretty good deal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG953236_1543447212761.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	82870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG953233_1543447254164.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	82872  
Keith Post and KCW like this.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:35 PM

Garage
Looks like a good deal.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:05 AM

Looks like a steal to me.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 AM
KCW

Garage
With the windshield and saddle bags that is like a Vstar 650 Silverado... which was about $7,000 in 2006

its got 4.6 k miles on it
it will go another 95k miles...

Nice.

It probably has the original tires, only because the rear tire normally lasts about 8 to 10,000 miles. Check the DOT molded in date code Week-Year (DOT --- WWYY) and see how old the tires are.

If they are more than 5 years old get new tires, older than 10 ten years definitely get new tires before you ride the bike faster than 40mph. You are looking at about $350 if you buy new tires and tubes online, take the wheels off the bike yourself and have them mounted at a motorcycle shop

other than oil change.. you should be good to ride for the next 4000 miles (next maintenance interval).

I assume you have already started it up and rode it, but... if the bike has been sitting for a while (more than a few months) look inside the gas tank.

If the gas is not clear drain it out, fill the tank with fresh gas and add 4 ounces of seafoam, and do this BEFORE you run the engine again. Sucking old gas thru the carbs will progressively gum them up and get worse and worse. Also look for rust inside the tank, if it was left parked with an empty gas tank for a long time, you will need to fix that and replace the fuel filter.

Other than that - great deal.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 11-29-2018 at 12:10 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:02 AM
KCW

Garage
one other observation: it has after market exhaust and it looks like the stock air filter. If that is correct it would still run ok with the original jets in the carbs, but I would pull the spark plugs and see how they look. If the previous owner put new jets in the bike make sure its not running really rich (sooty black) -and if he did not re-jet the carbs makes sure the plugs are not burned from running too lean... and no matter what put new plugs in ($2 each).
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
one other observation: it has after market exhaust and it looks like the stock air filter. If that is correct it would still run ok with the original jets in the carbs, but I would pull the spark plugs and see how they look. If the previous owner put new jets in the bike make sure its not running really rich (sooty black) -and if he did not re-jet the carbs makes sure the plugs are not burned from running too lean... and no matter what put new plugs in ($2 each).
Followed your directions to a T KCW and it cranked right up and sounds great. I talked to my guy and he said he had everything tuned to the new exhaust and it sounds really nice - way louder than my 1100

The handling is so much easier, I feel like I own it compared to the 1100.

Going to change the oil tomorrow and run through another tank with the seafoam before putting it up. After riding it I really feel like I stole it now
Keith Post, lesblank and KCW like this.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 PM
KCW

Garage
One other thing you should do, since you have the 1100 for longer road trips, take the windshield off the 650 if you are going to use it for shorter rides.

If you are riding under 60mph in good weather you dont need the windshield on the bike, and it will ride noticeable different (better) without it.

It doesnt look like it has fork deflectors on it, so if you ride over 60mph with the windshield on the bike, you might get some head buffeting (blurred vision & instant headache like your helmet is in a paint shaker). Getting the windshield adjusted just right to avoid buffeting is different for each rider.

Be aware of it when you get up to highway speeds - if you cant read the signs on the side of the road slow down till it stops or duck your head down behind the top of the windshield and get off the interstate till you can get it dialed in right. Its literally a mild form of concussion.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 11-30-2018 at 02:01 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Nice deal, I just picked up a 03 1100 Silverado for $1000.00 just joined... Will tinker with it for a while before I get it going...That 650 looks very nice, Heck the mustang seat alone is at least $300
Keith Post likes this.

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notgrownup View Post
Nice deal, I just picked up a 03 1100 Silverado for $1000.00 just joined... Will tinker with it for a while before I get it going...That 650 looks very nice, Heck the mustang seat alone is at least $300

Welcome to the forum; some really good people in here with lots of knowledge.

That's a great deal for a Silverado
Keith Post likes this.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltWarrior View Post
Welcome to the forum; some really good people in here with lots of knowledge.

That's a great deal for a Silverado
I thought so... Yep, I joined here to get some help and share some of my knowledge as well... I've been riding for about 20 years... The V star is for my wife because it was very low... too low for me but I can still ride it...At that price I couldn't pass it up...
My ride is a 2007 Electra Glide , just turned 100000 miles on it... I rode metrics before that...It will be my wife's 4th bike...
Keith Post likes this.

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode