Help choosing the right cycle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Help choosing the right cycle

Hi everyone I am looking at purchasing a cycle and I have narrowed it down to two but don't know what way to go. It's either 2008 Yamaha Road star Silverado S and the other is 2008 VStar 1300 black edition
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:43 PM

Garage
Either one would be a great bike. The Road Star has bigger engine, air cooled and a little heavier. More of a cruiser to me, but can double as a two up road bike. The 1300 is water cooled and to me an all around great bike. It could easily be used as a commuter, cruiser, road bike or anything else. To me it's the one you want. If you can find both at maybe a dealer, look them both over really good, start to walk away, now turn around, which one did your eye go to first? That's the one you want. Either one would be a dependable ride. If you are thinking of any modifications down the road it appears the 1300 has better aftermarket support. Good luck and keep us informed.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much. They are at two different places. Thank you for all your help
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Also the only real modify I plan on doing is a sound system
Keith Post likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 10:54 PM

Garage
Since they both have low mileage let's look at things to consider on a 10 year old bike. How's easily do they start, might need plugs. Tires will probably need to be replaced. Look at date code on sidewall, it's on ever tire, over 5 years old replace.

All fluids will need to be replaced, oil, brake fluid and fork oil. The 1300 will need a coolant change so add that in. Now look under both bikes very good. With age some gaskets will start to weep, see any oil residue? Look at the brake pads, at 10k miles should not be an issue but with 18k on road star if they had not been replaced they are due. Also look in gas tank of both, any signs of rust? When a bike sits any length of time without full tank with stabilizer in gas there might be rust. Stay away from rust. Every spring we have many, and I mean many threads here about bad fuel and contamination in fuel system. Check all switches, (turn, horn, etc,) as with time connections will corrode causing issues. Which one looks best cosmetically? A little rust now will grow it not taken care of. Paint is 10 years old, which looks better? Fork lowers and engine cases are normally quick for finish to start looking aged, which looks better. I know it's a lot to look at and I'm sure I've forgotten something but just trying to help with some know issues that are discussed here a lot. By the way, Consumer Guide says the Vstar line is the most reliable bike. Keep us informed on your decision. If in doubt, flip a coin, you will be happy with either.
Keith Post and Highwayman like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 AM
KCW

Garage
One big difference between the road star and the VS1300: the road star is an "old school" bike, with a single carb, push rods, air cooling. It wont get as many miles per gallon as the water cooled fuel injected over head cam 1300

but

if its well maintained the road star will be incredibly reliable, esp on long road trips: there is no fuel injection system to suddenly quit, no sensors to fail that will leave you stranded, no water pump or coolant to leak.

Not that the VS1300 is prone to failures, its more of a design philosophy thing: an overhead valve timing chain cannot break or skip a tooth if the bike doenst have one (pushrods).

After typing all this I just realized the 2008 road star is fuel injected, so that reduces the differences down to air vs water cooling, and push rods vs a timing chain. I dont remember which year they stopped using the single carb on the road star.

Both bikes will easily put 100k on the odo without ever opening the engine case - and its hard to say that one is better than the other. Yamaha liked to give us lots of options.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 12-30-2018 at 08:19 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 08:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
One big difference between the road star and the VS1300: the road star is an "old school" bike, with a single carb, push rods, air cooling. It wont get as many miles per gallon as the water cooled fuel injected over head cam 1300
If I'm not mistaken the 2008 Road Star was fuel injected, first year.
Keith Post and KCW like this.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:20 AM

Garage
Youíre right Les, 2008 was the first year for FI on the Roadie. Iíve ridden both a Roadie, carbed, and a FI 1300. Both handled very well, the brakes felt a little stronger and had great excelleration on the 1300. The Roadie also ran great and handled well and was very stable. For the open road, Iíd give the Roadie the edge as thatís what it was designed for. The 1300 is great on the road and for around town. IMHO you canít go wrong with either bike. Just look at what youíre going to use it for and ask for any maintenance records. Keep us posted on which bike you choose and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:10 AM

I am going to butt in here...just because...I have a 2014 Vstar 1300 and LOVE IT. I had a Kawi 900 and loved it too...I have had my 1300 since june at have put almost 5 K on it...If you are going to ride it a lot...pick the one with the better feel...how does your butt and arms feel in your riding position...what about legs...do your legs feel one way better on the Roadie that the 1300?...seats can be changed...road pegs added...over all which bike "FITS" you....that is your choice.

<now climbing down off of soapbox>

Toymaker
Keith Post likes this.

2014 V Star 1300 "The Red Lady" Hard bags and Trunk, Denali Air horn, Ivan-ized ECU, K & N air filer, Slipstream Windshield, Shark Audio
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:21 AM

I had both the 1300 Vstar and the Road Star both newer . Both will be good for 2 up riding and highway riding . I think if I had to choose it would be pretty much a tie.
Keith Post likes this.

Packer Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode