Type of riding gloves. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By YamahaParExcellence
  • 1 Post By Grizzer
  • 1 Post By NorthernRider
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By patrickdk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Type of riding gloves.

Hey everyone I just got my new ride and unfortunately I have to star all over with gear. I got a new jacket I got a helmet and the Sena 10s intercom system. Still have to get chaps and gloves. Any advice on riding gloves? I have a 2008 Yamaha Road star Silverado S. And any pics of gloves would help please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190103_101427_1546553778878.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	83134  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardedman1984 View Post
Hey everyone I just got my new ride and unfortunately I have to star all over with gear. I got a new jacket I got a helmet and the Sena 10s intercom system. Still have to get chaps and gloves. Any advice on riding gloves? I have a 2008 Yamaha Road star Silverado S. And any pics of gloves would help please.
Some of the best 'glove' experiences is with going to TSC (Tractor Supply Company) or any other outdoor work, garden, or construction dealers, and picking up a pair of 100 percent soft Deer Skin gloves. They break into your hand, especially the palm area...feel great...and when getting wet, they dry out quickly without shrinkage. I have used (and own) many styles of touring gloves, even Kevlar based..but time and time again, I go to the motorcycle drawer, and pull out my set of natural colored Deer Skin gloves. They create a feel on your hand, suppleness, and tactile that can't be beat...and they come at a great price, no matter where you can get them!

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/glov...and-gauntlets/

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...nsulate-gloves

https://www.google.com/search?q=TSC+...=2752&bih=1063

Cheers,
lesblank likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:48 PM

My favorite riding gloves are a pair of mechanics gloves from auto parts store. I like them cause your dexterity while wearing them is almost as good as using bare hands.
lesblank likes this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:51 PM

Garage
My go to winter gloves. Have lasted me three winters.

My favorite summer gloves. Had these for two years. Summer mesh gloves will last me about 2 summers.

My medium weight gloves. Had these a couple of years.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Garage
I bought these on eBay in December of 2016. They're labelled Icon, but came from China and were under $20 so they're probably knock offs, but I'm amazed at how well they've held up. They're perforated and aren't too hot, plus they have armor on the knuckles. They are beginning to fray and wear in a few spots but nothing serious yet, and nothing I wouldn't expect after 14,000 miles. I'll probably look for another set before next year but I'll keep these for backup. They're probably not the the best you can get as far as protection goes, but I like the style, they're comfortable, and they've held up well.

lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
I just bought these on Amazon

Goat skin with touch screen at finger tips - I tried the bigger gloves and they weren't comfortable for long rides but that could just be my hands

I went a little tighter and sleeker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20190103-204910_Amazon Shopping_1546570479288.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	83144  

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:13 PM
KCW

Garage
ditto on Tourmaster gloves and everything else they make

of all the things that can happen on a bike, messing up your hands would be one of the worst.

Get motorcycle gloves, designed for the slide, not for the ride, with velcro gauntlets covering the wrists, so the pavement cannot pull them off your hands.

And you did not mention boots - designed with ankle protection. If your foot ever gets under the bike, you need some serious armor.

BTW, gloves are one of the things you need to go buy in a local store front. Gloves, boots, helmets.... they must fit well or they are unusable. Once you have one pair that you know fits you properly, you can buy the next (same) pair online in a few years if you need to save a few bucks, but believe me, XL does not equal XL from every company that makes gloves.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 01-03-2019 at 09:24 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 03:53 AM

I think this set is the 'killa' glove, go to!

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/deer...avalry-gloves/

This article sets out why game-animal hides are better gloves than cattle/rawhide...

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/deer...owhide-gloves/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 AM

Wife and I have Fox Creek gauntlets, the deer hide is top quality,they are a good in between season glove, just before I break out the heated gear.
Tour master, first gear and Olympia all make great riding gloves.
We bought our foxcreek right at the store in the VA hills.. We go by there or around there quite often, we did have to try on a few before we got the perfect fit ...

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:00 AM

It's huge personal preference.

I do LOVE my scorpion cool hands 2 gloves for warm weather, sometimes swap them out with leather.
I use scorpion winter gloves whem it's really cold out.

Not sure what it is, after using around 15 or more gloves, I find the scorpion gloves just fit my hands the best, sometimes alittle long but not much in the finger length.

Using leather farm/garden gloves are really nice, and the mechanics gloves work for warm weather also, for going cheap, but they generally offer any protection. You can debate for yourself your own level of comfort/protection/cost/...
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode