Easy Rider choppers and the builders grandson - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Easy Rider choppers and the builders grandson

Most motorcyclists are familiar with the movie Easy Rider and the two choppers featured in the movie (see photo below). Most people have no idea who built both Peter Fonda's 'Captain America' bike and the Billy Bob chopper ridden by Dennis Hopper. I just learned who built these from the builders' grandson, who happens to be a co-worker of mine!

I was just chatting about motorcycles and my co-worker Kevin recounted his memories as a kid of hanging out with his grandad in his motorcycle shop in Los Angeles California. Imagine my suprise when Kevin casually mentioned that his grandad co-designed and built both Easy Rider motorcycles! Kevin told me to look up Ben Hardy (his grandfather) on Google, so I did some research and the links and the video below are what I found. Check them out for some cool history on Ben and the Easy Rider bikes.

Sadly, Ben Hardy never got the credit he deserved for designing and building two of the most iconic motorcycles ever built. Based on an interview with Hardy, the reason for this may have been due to his "complexion" (he was a black man). From my research, at about the time period when Ben Hardy's amazing skills as a custom bike builder was hugely popular in L.A., there were groups of black riders (see related black chrome link below) who would customize their bikes into choppers and the Billy Bob design was popular with these riders before the one Dennis Hopper rode in the movie was seen by the world.

Kevin told me a story about helping Ben Hardy in his shop by working with motorcycle gas tanks, filling them with water under pressure to take out minor dents and how growing up he never realized what a master engineer his grandad was. We both agreed that had his grandad passed on even a fraction of his skills to Kevin (grandson) he would likely be a custom bike builder with his own shop by now.

https://thevintagent.com/2017/07/22/black-chrome/

Link about Ben Hardy:

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...-should-kno w/

https://youtu.be/Zu2nK0oCDGI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:46 PM

Garage
That is cool. I'll read h watch the videos when not on my phone.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
Keith Post likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 AM

Don't forget about Cliff Vaughs who worked with Ben Hardy on the bikes. Another notable figure is Sugar Bear who made long forked choppers handle extremely well due to his springer designs fitted with the iconic 'elf shoe' rockers.

If you're into choppers then this is a pretty good read:
https://www.amazon.com/Chopper-Real-.../dp/3899555244
House O' Pain likes this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 01-17-2019 at 05:55 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:55 AM

Garage
I agree, thanks for sharing. Those guys definitely deserved recognition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 AM
KCW

Garage
Great bikes
stupid movie
terrible acting
Unwatchable now
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Great bikes

stupid movie

terrible acting

Unwatchable now
I haven't watched this in over 20 yrs. I may have to watching it again.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Great bikes
stupid movie
terrible acting
Unwatchable now
I'll give you two out of 4 of those. I disagree that it's a stupid movie and unwatchable. It's not a great movie, and it's slow, but I feel it probably captured the scene of the time period decently. Hippies and all that. I just watched this for the first time about a month ago. The ending was a surprise and really made me go wtf!?

Op, thanks for sharing. Cool stuff.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 AM
KCW

Garage
The plot and the ending is Peter Fonda giving you the finger for watching his movie.

And Jack Nickelson plays the same character in Cuckoo nest.
Keith Post and CanadianMohawk like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Don't forget about Cliff Vaughs who worked with Ben Hardy on the bikes. Another notable figure is Sugar Bear who made long forked choppers handle extremely well due to his springer designs fitted with the iconic 'elf shoe' rockers.

If you're into choppers then this is a pretty good read:
https://www.amazon.com/Chopper-Real-.../dp/3899555244

Cliff Vaughs was the other half of the team that built the Easy Rider bikes so yeah he deserves to also be recognized, but I didn't meet his grandson, so my focus was on Hardy. I thought the movie Easy Rider sucked and honestly believe that were it not for the coolness of the bikes, the movie would have died soon after it came out. It could be argued that the motorcycles were just movie props— so who cares who built them—however, I would point out they weren't just any movie prop, as the Captain America Chopper (or the one rebuilt one that was crashed in the movie and sold by Dan Haggerty) was sold in auction at a record high ($1,620,000).

I just thought is very cool to learn my co-worker's grandfather built the Easy Rider bikes and wanted to share what I learned about his grandad.

https://www.nationalmcmuseum.org/201...rley-davidson/
Keith Post, KCW and Diogenes415 like this.

Last edited by House O' Pain; 01-17-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode