Look both ways before crossing - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes
  • 7 Post By nutz4spd
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Yamaha Pat
  • 1 Post By nutz4spd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Look both ways before crossing

Right before Christmas my wife was involved in an accident coming home from work. A little old lady ran a red light right as my wife was turning left onto the highway. She said it happened so fast all she remembers was the impact, a pause, and the airbag going off in her face. Although I'm pretty sure there wasn't a pause before deployment. Luckily the damage was contained to just the right front of her Subaru as she was just starting to turn left when she got hit. I told her she was lucky she wasn't riding her bike. With that being said I got on her about looking both ways for last minute light runners regardless if she's on her bike or not. I told her a car or bike can be fixed or replaced, bruises will heal but life does not get a do-over. Just a friendly reminder for all to look both ways before pulling out regardless of what you ride or drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 PM
KCW

Garage
When I took the MSF course and started riding 6 years ago, I quickly started to be very uncomfortable at any blind intersection, where I cannot see if someone is not slowing down for their stop sign or red light.

At first it made me un-easy, it did not take long before it made me start to slow down so I can look both ways and have an escape path or enough time to stop.

When I drive our car my wife frequently says things like "why are you slowing down?! You have the right of way! That person HAS TO stop!...." when Im driving defensively.

She stopped complaining as often when I was passing a car on the interstate in NC at 75mph, and just as I got in the blind spot of the other car, it started coming over in our lane. I had the cruise control on and nailed the brake. The antilock brakes and stability control system on my 2014 Fusion kept the car straight and she missed us.

I few weeks ago my wife had a close call of her own. A car stopped in the center left turn lane with its left blinker on, decided to pull back into her lane just as my wife was coming up on it.

Defensive driving is all about being aware of what could go wrong, which car might not stop, which car has its turn signal on but its not going to turn, who or what might be on the other side of a big vehicle that I cannot see, and who cannot see me.... and when you see the potential for trouble slowing down and backing off.

As in your wife's case a minor bash up in a car is normally not serious for the occupants, but on our motorcycles its life and death.

There is a whole thread about near misses, I dont think anyone has yet posted to it that actually got hit:

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ecause-11.html
Keith Post and Scrumdown like this.

Last edited by KCW; 01-17-2019 at 06:53 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
Iím glad your wife wasnít injured and that sheís alright. It never hurts to remind ourselves about looking both ways no matter what mode of transportation youíre using. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 PM

I was crossing a one way street early one morning and looked right that was where the traffic was coming from. Just as I was getting ready to go I heard a rumble to my left and this big ass pick up truck going 40 in a 30 the wrong way. I would have been Tboned. Always look both ways.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Iím glad your wife wasnít injured and that sheís alright. It never hurts to remind ourselves about looking both ways no matter what mode of transportation youíre using. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Initially she was alright. When the airbag deployed and seat belt locked up it damaged one of her implants (she's a 2x breast cancer survivor), so we've had to get that repaired. Other than that she is fine. But yes, it never hurts to be reminded of the basics from time to time. We become too complacent in our daily activities we don't stop to actually think about what we're doing.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode