Rain suit - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Rain suit

HI All, I'm planning a cross country ride in May and I don't have a rain suit. Curious if there are strong thoughts behind which is better from experienced rain riders. One piece or two? I see them going from 40 bucks to 200 on-line. Thanks.
Keith Post likes this.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:06 PM

Garage
For me boots, the two piece I own has worked well as Ive run into rain several times. Id definitely invest in the boot covers as well. Just my .02 cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boots likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
Though out the years I used cheap rainsuits and expensive one. I've learned you get what you pay for. Being a daily commuter my rain gear see at least one use a week, sometimes more. I like the two piece rain suits better. I used Frogg Toggs for a long time but never got a very long life out of them, a year or so. I like the way Frogg Toggs breath and do a good job keeping you dry. Several years ago I bought some Olympia rain gear. They have worn very well. They do an excellent job keeping you dry and have reflective material that I like. The Olympia gear does not breath real well and can be hot. They are also a little expensive, but when these wear out I will buy them again. Definitely get some rain boot covers, I hate wet feet. I like the ones that are open some on the bottom. I thought this style would not work well as water can run up the leg, but it doesn't. The semi open bottom allows your boot to be in contact with road at a stop. The rain boots with rubberized bottoms can be slick when putting you foot down. Another thing to think about are glove covers. Wet gloves are a pain to dry out. Attached pictures are what I currently have used for a few years with many uses. I keep my rain gear rolled up and it stays in my saddlebag. Don't forget to never fold or roll wet rain gear, it will mold and get nasty beyond use really quick, yes that's experience speaking.

Keith Post, eruby and Boots like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 01-22-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
HI All, I'm planning a cross country ride in May and I don't have a rain suit. Curious if there are strong thoughts behind which is better from experienced rain riders. One piece or two? I see them going from 40 bucks to 200 on-line. Thanks.
Frog Toggs.....you can't go wrong with them. Two piece, and they shed all the water..even in torrential rain. Better yet...they also breathe...even in humid weather of the Summer months. Fantastic...rain gear, one could own. In fact...because the suit bottoms and uppers breathes so well, you can put them on in the morning, at the hotel/motel/home, leave them on all day...like a total windbreaker...and not care one bit (as my wife and I do...) if your route that day might take you from bright sunny weather, to under a rain storm front. No matter...you are protected from wind, the sun, and water...

Frog Toggs...the best and most light weight, and less space 'storable', rain gear out there. Wouldn't leave the driveway with out them, either on us...or packed in the side case...

https://www.froggtoggs.com/
Keith Post and Boots like this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-23-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM
KCW

Garage
Do they make a helmet cover to match the boots and gloves? :^)

If I spent $250 for rain gear, then when it rains I dont know if I would be happy riding in the rain or not.

Ive only got caught in a downpour a few times, during warm summer days. Put my wallet in a Hefty Ziplock lunch bag and rode on. Didnt really mind. When the shower passes and I get on dry pavement again, my clothes dry completely in another 30 miles at 50mph.

What I would like to see is a GPS unit or GPS navigation ap for my phone, that overlays the local weather radar. I would pay $$ for that. There have been several times when I could see the rain coming in the sky, and headed south or north and went around it.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 01-22-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Garage
I have Frog Toggs. They work great! In rain & as a wind breaker.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!

Last edited by Scrumdown; 01-26-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 PM

I use a TourMaster two piece and Cabelas Waterproof boots. Ridden maybe 30 or 40 times in the rain the last couple of years. I did have the plastic zipper changed to a metal one
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 PM

Suit
Keith Post, lesblank and Boots like this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Frog Toggs it is! Thanks for the feedback. It seemed like a 2 piece would be easier to deal with. I will be purchasing shortly.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
I have Frog Toggs. They work great! In raid & as a wind breaker.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
We once were on vacation ,and were walking around a quaint little harbor in Maine. Well...a huge downpour broke out over us...and while everybody was dashing to get under any kind of cover, (overhangs in front of the store shops), my wife and I were lollygagging down the sidewalks...water literally SHEDDING in streams off of our built in F.T. parkas, down our back and sides (all covered by F.T.'s)...and we were like two kids, playing out in the rain. As we passed about 12 people huddling under this overhang, one lady asked us what the HECK we were wearing...and were we actually bone dry? I answered her question by unzipping my F.T. top, and the thin cotton T-shirt didn't have one drop impregnated into it. Her jaw dropped...and after asking if they were 'hot' to wear...and we said...nope...you don't sweat in them....well...MAN oh MAN...if I would have had 50 F.T.'s of various sizes, we would have sold out of them...right out of the back of a car, had we been in one. Everybody asked where we got them...and then we moved on. Seriously, we could have paid for the entire vacation, just hawking F.T. sets while standing out in the middle of the street...LOL...in the pouring rain....!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode