Record Motorcycle Ownership - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Keith Post
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Cliffieg
  • 2 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Record Motorcycle Ownership

Interesting article from:

https://jalopnik.com/report-more-ame...ver-1832035252

More than 1.5 million American households have added the joy of two wheel travel to their garages in the last four years, according to the newest rider statistics report from the Motorcycle Industry Council. That report was last created in 2014, and in the subsequent four years the percentage of American households with motorcycle ownership has increased from 6.94 percent to a massive 8.02 percent.

MIC President/CEO Tim Buche: “The household penetration numbers have always been among the most important figures to us. We’re certainly happy to see more homes that have a motorcycle. Riders who talk about motorcycling to friends and neighbors help to inspire people who don’t yet ride.”

According to the same report, motorcycle ownership increased to a new record level. The 2009 record for motorcycle ownership was 11,704,500 bikes in circulation in the U.S. For 2018, that number rose to 13,158,100. Not only that, but some 93 percent of all bikes in the US are currently in operation.

While many cars have seen sales declines in the last year, motorcycles are on the rise. With record bike ownership levels, it’s even more telling that an icon of the motorcycle world like Harley Davidson is still struggling to keep its head above water.
Keith Post, Boots and nutz4spd like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:37 PM

Garage
I’d recently read a similar article indicating that same trend.
The article I read mentioned that there’s been a sharp rise with Women purchasing bikes. It also mentioned that HD’s share of the market has continued to decline, no slam intended to our HD members, mainly due to their pricing, prices for gear, and their reliability.
Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki continue to gain ground with buyers because of their pricing and reliability.
We notice every year locally that we see more lady riders on the road and vary in which bike they’re riding. The article also mentioned that the used HD market continues to increase year by year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's a quote on female riders.

Women now represent 19 percent of all riders, the Motorcycle Industry Council found in a recent survey. This is compared to a mere one in 10 riders being female a little less than a decade ago. The MIC believes that if trend continues, women could soon represent a quarter of all owners.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:54 PM

Garage
That’s what the article I read also implied. I think it’s great and love to read about those ladies that blazed the trail for other female riders. The article also mentioned that many of the new riders, both male and female were listed as ‘professional people’.
I know in my field there’s a lot of us that ride along with FF’s that ride too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:27 PM

I think more women riders is a GREAT thing. Also, every time we get a really nice winter weekend day--like yesterday, for instance--it seems like the whole world is out there riding...at least around here. I must have thrown down 50 biker waves yesterday. So, Les's article jibes with my own experience riding around Central Texas. I guess maybe a lot of people are just buying used? From what I hear, Indian is on the rise but most of the other manufacturers aren't doing so well, at least in the U.S.
lesblank likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:59 PM
KCW

Garage
From reading the article it sounds like motorcycles are outliving their expected years by a wide margin.

Its not that lots of people are buying new motorcycles, many people are grabbing good used motorcycles from people who no longer ride them, and the 2 or 3 that were in one person's garage end up with 2 or 3 new riders.

I had the tv on over the weekend, not really watching, and I was SHOCKED to see commercials for the new HD electric motorcycle, several times, during a live program on down hill skiiing.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a commercial for a motorcycle, except for insurance from Geico.
lesblank and Cliffieg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode