What's the coldest weather you'll ride in? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What's the coldest weather you'll ride in?

Just like the title says; What is the coldest temperature you will ride in? For me it is in the upper 30's but only if I'm going to work and back home which is about a 50 mile round trip. Guess I'm wondering if anyone else is as crazy as I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
On the January 19, 2019 I left Houston and is was 32 degrees, rode 300 miles to just this side of Abilene and was 22 degrees when I got there. So six hours of sub freezing temperatures. I did ride back two days later, got up to 40.

When I left Houston:

When I got there:

Does that make me crazy?

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 01-30-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Heck when I was in my teens and twenties I really didn't care what temp was. It could be 20 degrees out and I would be riding my Honda XL250 or be out running around woods and fields on my ATV. In my thirties it had to be in the 30's for me to ride. now that I am in my fifties I will ride when it is in mid 40's but I really don't enjoy it till it hits the mid 50's

PEACE and BLESSINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
On the January 19, 2019 I left Houston and is was 32 degrees, rode 300 miles to just this side of Abilene and was 22 degrees when I got there. So six hours of sub freezing temperatures. I did ride back two days later, got up to 40.

When I left Houston:

When I got there:

Does that make me crazy?
Maybe not “crazy” per se there Les, but DEFINITELY not right in the head to be sure! 😁
38 is about as low as I go. It can be 10 degrees cooler in shaded areas and I don’t like riding when the possibility of ice exists.
Long Haul Paul has COMPLETELY different ideas in what is “rideable” conditions and what is not.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

mid 30s. coldest i've ridden in is 26.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:33 AM

Mid 40's....Coldest I've ridden was 12...but I had no choice on that one....never again...
lesblank and CanadianMohawk like this.

2014 V Star 1300 "The Red Lady" Hard bags and Trunk, Denali Air horn, Ivan-ized ECU, K & N air filer, Slipstream Windshield, Shark Audio
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:10 PM
KCW

Garage
40F, unless its a really short ride

1. even with all my gear and windshield on, 40F is tolerable for half an hour

2. where I live if its 40F now it could be 30 in two hours with ice or snow. Not worth the risk to squeeze in one or two more rides a year, when Im putting 5000 miles on my bikes / year, and riding almost every day from march to november when its not raining.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:19 PM

I look for my app to say itís at least 45. Thatís a bit cold and I enjoy it more in the 50ís but I want to ride so bad I do it anyway. Layer up and tough it out. 50ís this weekend so Iíll put in some miles.
lesblank and nutz4spd like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:36 PM

We've had a cold spell here in Louisville Kentucky with temps in the single digits in the a.m. and warming up into the teens by the afternoon and my XVS650 fires right up and gets me to work and back home. What an awesome bike this 650 V-Star is.
lesblank likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:53 AM

When I was stationed at Ft. Riley, KS in the winter of 87, the temp got down to -20, my car was on the north side of the house and the engine was too cold to turn over. My 883 Harley was kept on the porch and out of the weather, so it naturally, fired right away. I lived 42 miles away from the base, and it had snowed the day before. That Harley was my only transportation when I got it in Korea, but I only lived about 4 or 5 miles from the 121st Evac Hospital in Yong San, where it would frequently bottom out in the -30 or better area. On the way home from the 16th MASH, I did think about getting an oil dipstick heater for the car, so I wouldn't have a repeat performance the next day. That was one of those weeks where the high never got above -10.
To add insult to injury I got home to a ruptured pipe under the house and about a half an acre lake in my back yard, which required a plumber to come over and play.

Doc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode