Longer ride, better day - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes
  • 5 Post By Preacher15
  • 3 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Preacher15
  • 2 Post By Preacher15
  • 2 Post By spetro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Red face Longer ride, better day

This may be long but I had a nice 3 hour ride today and had some observations.

First is practice makes perfect. As you may know, Iím back in the saddle after nearly 20 years. Coming from motocross to crotch-rockets and Honda Magnas, the VStar 950 seemed wide and heavy. I found right away that even the basic skills needed to be revisited so I spent my first 2 tanks of gas looking for slow curvy backroads so I could just get myself used to riding again. Today I put in 145 miles and found myself finally, really enjoying the bike. I felt like I was an extension of the bike rather than felling like I was trying to tame it or just survive the ride. Wether I was leaning back in cruise mode or sitting up chasing curves I was in more control than Iíd been before.

Second, believe it or not, cruising around slow may be more difficult than riding faster. The 950 is AGILE!!! I can flick it around, avoid road conditions and put it right where I want it whenever I need it. Never felt that way until today. At speed the bike is fluid and super steerable. I was having a blast.

Third, youíve heard it a million times and I can confirm, you will go where your eyes are looking. Thereís a great video on YouTube actually titled like ďwhat you donít want to do on the dragonĒ and he stares down a guardrail and sideswipes it. The bike followed his eyes. I really focused on looking down field and deciding where I wanted the bike to go, often times picking a spot in the road and hitting that mark.

Last but not least, this bike continues to impress me. Itís so smooth and runs so good. Shifting is easy using heal toe or just toe shifting. My hands started to hurt toward the end of the ride from me being out of shape but not from vibration or fighting the bike. Itís comfortable. Yeah I have an aftermarket seat but I only had to shift around a few times and as long as the back support is there I can ride all day. Fuel economy, I got to 140 miles (thatís when the light came on last tank) and was sure the gas light was going to come on so I stopped for gas. I barely forced 2.5 gallons in the tank! What kind of mileage am I getting??? Wow. Then thereís the sound. Oh man.... the V&H pipe sound so good when Iím cruising. I got into some hills and twisty and just kept it in 5th and rolled into it.........pure music to my ears.

If there ever was a doubt that getting back into riding wouldnít be the best decision, those doubts are gone. Happy riding all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:04 PM
KCW

Garage
just so you know, that smile on your face now does not come off
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:39 PM

Garage
I felt the same way when I got my 1100 a couple of years ago. And KCW is right - that smile is permanent. I does fade in winter but that first ride in the spring brings it right back again.

My hands were hurting too after a long ride. I found I was gripping a little tighter than I needed to (at first) and relaxing my grip helped. But what worked best for me was switching to Kuryakn ISO grips. So much better than stock and well worth the $100.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:06 AM

So Preacher...you wanna come jin us in Sept????

Toymaker

2014 V Star 1300 "The Red Lady" Hard bags and Trunk, Denali Air horn, Ivan-ized ECU, K & N air filer, Slipstream Windshield, Shark Audio
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Garage
If hands are hurting after a few more rides might want to rotate bars back or forward a little. A slight adjustment is sometimes all it takes for a more natural riding position. We are not all built the same so minor adjustments are sometimes needed. Just don't make any changes until you are sure that holding on too tight isn't causing the issue.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

I have been flirting with the idea. I will know more as the year goes on.
lesblank likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Pretty sure gripping too tight and just being out of shape. My first few rides were 10-20 miles and my hands were sore. Yesterday was 145 miles and it was slightly uncomfortable. Nothing more seat time wonít cure. Iím willing to make the sacrifice. 😜
lesblank and NorthernRider like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:22 AM
KCW

Garage
putting a driver's backrest on the seat takes away the need to feel like you must have a death grip on the handlebars when going fast

also try holding your hand right up against the base of the throttle section and keep your index finger pointed out and resting on the base of the brake level. Use your finger and grip on the throttle to hold the throttle steady, not your wrist / forearm /elbow.

and while you are doing this keep your wrists straight so the tendons are straight and your blood can flow to your hands.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
I use a "wrist paddle" love it
v
v
v
v
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Keith Post and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode