Visit to local Harley Dealership today - NOT IMPRESSED - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Today I found myself at a HD shop so the Wife could look at boots for her actual size.

I really went in with an open mind and honestly was inquiring about renting one for the day in the upcoming weeks as like with most newbies I wanted to see the difference - I even made a comment to the Wife that I was scared I would like it so much that I wouldn't want to ride mine once I had done so. Well that just didn't happen

Now I will say that the 2019 in store models were VERY SHARP looking

First off, this isn't to offend anyone and I did NOT have it longer than a simple test drive so this is in no way a real pros and cons

I will say they seemed built solid but the Heritage and Road King just didn't do anything for me - 2017 and 2018 models.

I would never trade my Yamaha's for one at this point, now that 2019 Glide looked like a BAD BOY lol

The people there were very friendly and a Texas Chapter MC was there, about 45 members and again really nice people. Most were stating not to waste my money it's only a name and a couple looked down on my Yamaha pledge but I quickly reminded them that I don't like oil leaks.

My biggest takeaway was that they are more worried about us Metric guys then we are of them. They want to know if what we are riding is a HD or not - where we are simply enjoying the open road
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190209-185836_Samsung Internet_1549760346230.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	83346  
Boots likes this.

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:46 PM
KCW

Garage
I was at a HD dealer right after trump took a dump on them, for opening another assembly plant in another country... europe I think? it was a big stink for a few weeks... then nothing

I thought the new Heritage looked like a nice bike, pretty similar to a Vstar 1100, except it has that long-piston throw engine.

I have a cousin that owns several vintage HD, going back to the 1930s. He's not interested in anything newer than the 1960s.

He had a 1956 and a 1963 that he rode all the time... then he refurbed them completely to original condition, and now he wont ride them, because they are worth too much money.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I was at a HD dealer right after trump took a dump on them, for opening another assembly plant in another country... europe I think? it was a big stink for a few weeks... then nothing

I thought the new Heritage looked like a nice bike, pretty similar to a Vstar 1100, except it has that long-piston throw engine.

I have a cousin that owns several vintage HD, going back to the 1930s. He's not interested in anything newer than the 1960s.

He had a 1956 and a 1963 that he rode all the time... then he refurbed them completely to original condition, and now he wont ride them, because they are worth too much money.
Yea a buddy keeps trying to convince me that my Road Star is the equivalent of the Heritage and while sitting on it today I thought exactly what you said - this feels like my 1100

Their following is real for sure but after today am totally convince that its like a Porsche, really more about feeling like your part of something more than the actual product being great.

It's did help in my belief of my Yamaha's

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:29 PM
KCW

Garage
the real irony is Yamaha made Vstar bikes so reliable that they could not make enough money selling and servicing them, and after 20 years they dropped the line.

There are so many low mileage Vstar bikes out there, I expect to be riding a few for the rest of my life.

Hard to make a living selling motorcycles when a guy buys one, comes in once every two years for a bag of oil filters and O rings, and doesnt buy another bike for 20 years....
CanadianMohawk likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 02-09-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltWarrior View Post
Quote:

Yea a buddy keeps trying to convince me that my Road Star is the equivalent of the Heritage and while sitting on it today I thought exactly what you said - this feels like my 1100

Their following is real for sure but after today am totally convince that its like a Porsche, really more about feeling like your part of something more than the actual product being great.

It's did help in my belief of my Yamaha's
My best friend has a totally tricked out 2009 Ultra Classic (I think) that I’ve ridden a few times. It’s a full dress but the fairing is attached to the handlebars.
It’s a beautiful bike for sure, but it’s a 108 and felt small and not as sure footed on the road as my SVTC. It was fairly roomy but completely lacking in anywhere near the amenities I have. The vibration was absolutely an issue. When at a stop light idling, I felt like I was sitting on an “unbalanced washing machine” during a spin cycle!! No joke!
As far as performance and handling, not even in the same ball park as my SVTC.
I try to understand the “allure”, but I just can’t find it. Maybe I’m looking at it too much from an engineering perspective. I don’t know.
I do know that we’ve been crusing together before and swapped bikes for a while. HIS comment to me as a “die hard” HD owner.... “Why do you always have to ONE UP ME?!” I just smiled. What else can I say?
On another note, he and I are talking about doing some serious touring together but he KNOWS his HD is not the bike for it., so he’s looking at getting a used Wing (2005-2013) to use specifically for the long distance riding. He would LOVE to have an SVTC but don’t wanna spend the $$$ so he’s looking used. It says a lot about HD IMHO.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[QUOTE=ChiefGunner;992826][QUOTE=AsphaltWarrior;992822][QUOTE=KCW;992814]

I actually felt the same way about the size and weight, felt small. I thought the King would be bigger but still didn't feel big honestly.

Now I will say i absolutely LOVED their kick stands ha ha, they are awesome - actually looking for one now for my Road Star

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=AsphaltWarrior;992830][QUOTE=ChiefGunner;992826][QUOTE=AsphaltWarrior;992822]
Quote:

I actually felt the same way about the size and weight, felt small. I thought the King would be bigger but still didn't feel big honestly.

Now I will say i absolutely LOVED their kick stands ha ha, they are awesome - actually looking for one now for my Road Star
Well, they NEED spectacular kick stands since many of them spend a LOT of time on them! 🤣🤣
I do hate the fact my SVTC doesn’t have a center stand. I know it’s a clearance and weight issue but sure makes simple maintenance more difficult. You MUST have a lift or bike jack. Not sure what happens if you need to do something on the road.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 02-09-2019 at 10:09 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:21 AM

I own a 07 Electra Glide classic with just over 100000 miles, Iíve also owned many metrics, both great bikes. I now have a V star 1100 and I know when I get it up and running it will also be a great bike...The Hassle and comparing and trash talking will always exist.. Itís the same with cars.
I say ride what makes you happy...My bike vibrates at idle but smoothes out at speed. I never had a oil leak.
I always wanted one since I was a kid and Iíve owned it since new in 07. Itís the best bike Iíve ever owned.
In the future I might own another Metric but for now, the 2 in the stable make for a good variety.
The jiffy stand on my FLHTC is da bomb...lol
lesblank likes this.

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notgrownup View Post
I own a 07 Electra Glide classic with just over 100000 miles, I’ve also owned many metrics, both great bikes. I now have a V star 1100 and I know when I get it up and running it will also be a great bike...The Hassle and comparing and trash talking will always exist.. It’s the same with cars.
I say ride what makes you happy...My bike vibrates at idle but smoothes out at speed. I never had a oil leak.
I always wanted one since I was a kid and I’ve owned it since new in 07. It’s the best bike I’ve ever owned.
In the future I might own another Metric but for now, the 2 in the stable make for a good variety.
Good stuff, those new Glides are awesome looking and would love one for the long rides. They are sharp

I didn't get a chance to sit on and judge the feelings on the 2019 models of the King and Heritage and might add - I never meant they were great looking machines at all, I just expected more and maybe on a real test ride I would've had a difference of opinion

I mean again, I was expecting a Caddilac vs Accord difference so in many ways this falls back on me

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notgrownup View Post
I own a 07 Electra Glide classic with just over 100000 miles, I’ve also owned many metrics, both great bikes. I now have a V star 1100 and I know when I get it up and running it will also be a great bike...The Hassle and comparing and trash talking will always exist.. It’s the same with cars.
I always wanted one since I was a kid and I’ve owned it since new in 07. It’s the best bike I’ve ever owned.
Absolutely! Ride whatever YOU like. That’s why there’s choices... it’s a lot like tastes in women. Everyone likes something different.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode