Cruiser type bikes future? - Page 6 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 Chris View Post
This general conversation was also a point of discussion over in the VRA forum (Vulcan Riders Association) a few months back. We were trying to list the reasons for the decline of big cruisers/touring bikes. It seems, at first glance, they are dying out , possibly (probably) because their owners are also doing the same. Or at least this is the common theory.

And yet, there is hope for the road couches. Speaking only for myself I can state that as I get older (64 now) I want more and more comfort while keeping as much of the sheer excitement as I can. The bulk of the feet-back riders are younger. Those bikes are cheaper to purchase and offer them the excitement their higher levels of testosterone requires. As time passes, and they come to realize they're not immortal after all, they'll eventually evolve into more sedate yet still exciting riding with feet-forward as befits people with slower reflexes and less urges to test the immortality question.

I doubt that true cruisers/touring bikes will ever go completely out of style. There is a never-ending pipeline of younger people to get older who will some day "see the light" and discover that they can stay on the road AND be far more comfortable (and safer).

I just joined this forum. I'm the original owner of a 2005 Virago 250 (so I'm here legitimately) but my main ride is a 750 Vulcan. Just like Dabluz was getting to above, it is heavy enough for a decent ride and light enough for me to move around on foot. Its got bags and all of the normal bolt-ons that are standard across the industry to make it as comfortable as you can for that platform and also is practical around town. It'll never be a full out touring bike but then again it'll never weigh 900 lbs either. I'll take the trade-off.

I'd love to own a touring bike but realistically speaking, I won't ever shell-out the $$ for one. And there-in lies a long term problem for the big cruiser/touring concept. Its not the old folks dying off that would kill off the big bikes as the aforementioned theory suggests. But it "could" be the ever increasing costs. In the military world, perfectly good, imminently capable aircraft and ships are dropped from the lineup purely because of the costs incurred in purchase and maintenance. Either the costs of big bikes must be reduced (and I mean REDUCED) or the capabilities of now mid-sized bikes (1300cc range for example) MUST be upgraded to essentially offer the general comfort/performance levels of the bigger bikes we see today. I'd love to have a 1300 range bike setup for touring. I don't mean "light touring" but all-out touring. More powerful engine breakthroughs may be needed to achieve this but a 600 to 700 lb (MAX) bike that also can handle me and momma all day long would fly out of the showrooms, I'd think.
I can confirm a few of your hypothesis. I’ve been riding since 1985. My first bike was a Honda Shadow. It was a bare bones HD wanna be, and lots of fun. I was 25 when I got it so the youth factor was in play. In 1990 I met a guy on base who had just got a new 1300cc V4 Venture Royale. He let me take it for a short spin around the base and I was absolutely FLOORED by the shear power and comfort. I got my first full Touring bike a 91 Venture Royale in 1991. I was 31 at the time and clearly my tastes were changing. I’d also like to point out at this juncture a reference to your not wanting to pay $$$ for a touring bike. At 31 I was in a completely different socioeconomic place than I was at 25, so the money was not as big a factor. After experiencing that kind of riding luxury, I’ve never looked back. Now at 59 (Mar 18th) I’m enjoying the biggest luxury liner out there with a 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental. It gives me plenty of excitement in the corners, has plenty of “giddyup n go” and gobs of comfort & amenities. The fact is, what we want outta life changes as we mature.
There are a number of crotch rocket riders out there who still “young & dumb” and push the limits of sanity... BUT ... if they survive that time, eventually they will want something more comfortable.
I don’t see cruisers or touring going away any time soon IMHO.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 04-08-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 PM

Garage
I still can't wrap my head around Yamaha's new direction.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM

I find the big touring bikes to be a huge investment. It takes someone with a lot of dedication to put their case into a bike for that purpose. The bike isn't really good for much else except riding down the highway. Sure you can take it on trips around town, but I never see anyone do that. If I see one in town, it's in a group. Mostly only see them on highways.

See a lot of bobber and naked cruisers here in town, in florida. Never really saw them up in maryland (likely due to the weather).
But normally it's all the small to mid range sport bikes or dualsports people ride, cause they are generally around 4-8k usd, and get good fuel mileage.

It's crazy but my 230cc dual sport gets 110mpg. The whole minibike rage with the groms and stuff are getting 120mpg.

I normally don't ride the cruiser much lately, cause the wife has been sick and can't take care of the baby, and I can't ride and take the baby (though she now loves it, and lives to ride the dirt bike with me).
I do ride the dualsport a lot lately cause I can ride it with the kids and their bikes.
JonMaz2112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode