Cruiser type bikes future? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cruiser type bikes future?

There is a lot of talk about Yamaha almost eliminating it's line of cruisers but what about the other manufacturers? Yamaha is probably making this decision for economic reasons. Are the other manufacturers also feeling the same economic hurt? If I was head of a large bike manufacturer, one way to save money would be to reduce the number of models that I manufactured, but that is not what seems to be happening because each dealership that I visit has many different sport, off-road, sport-touring and scooter models. BTW, I like scooters. Here in Quebec, you only have to be 14 years old to legally ride a 50cc (or smaller) scooter. The driver's test is easy to pass. There are hundreds of scooters all over the place except on auto-routes. I don't live in a large city but I guess that scooters are much more popular in large cities. My granddaughter is 14 and she told me that if she had the choice, she would choose a 2 stroke scooter because they are faster. Each school yard has a parking area full of scooters.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

I'm not familiar with bike sales in Canada. However, here in Maine cruiser sales have tanked. I have talked to two Harley dealerships and they all have laid off about half their workforce. The same can be said for Yamaha and Honda. The only bright spot seems to be Indian. They're moving quite well to include the $25,000 and up machines. They all blame millenials who (according to them) spend all their time behind computer screens. They're sales seem to be in "adventure" type motorcyles.

However, there is a bright spot - ATV and 2/4 seater off road machines. They are moving fast to include the winter months. The same can be said for snowmobiles for those areas that have consistent snow.

For me, it's the big cruisers for 7 months of the year and my Argo the rest of the time.

2018 Venture Transcontinental (620 miles)
1975 Goldwing (16546 miles)
1974 Kawasaki Z1 (only God knows)
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 AM

Garage
I have been seeing more and more of these dual-sport cross-over bikes. Kinda reminds me of the old enduros that were a trail bike but with street lighting and street legal. Seems like many of them have metal square saddle bags. Not sure why these are so popular but riders are motocross geared up and everything. Nothing negative here, just what I'm seeing more of around here. Some with way out of state plates so these must be comfy on trips.
graybeard likes this.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruby View Post
I have been seeing more and more of these dual-sport cross-over bikes. Kinda reminds me of the old enduros that were a trail bike but with street lighting and street legal. Seems like many of them have metal square saddle bags. Not sure why these are so popular but riders are motocross geared up and everything. Nothing negative here, just what I'm seeing more of around here. Some with way out of state plates so these must be comfy on trips.
Your describing something like the Yamaha “Tenere”. That’s what Long Haul Paul rode over 300,000 miles on. It’s apparently comfortable enough for long hauls on Highway, but will handle off-road trails just as easily. I can understand the draw of an “all around” bike. Being able to go the distance to get to a National Forest somewhere and then being able to ride the trails once you get there. Not my cup of tea, but makes perfect sense.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Your describing something like the Yamaha “Tenere”. That’s what Long Haul Paul rode over 300,000 miles on. It’s apparently comfortable enough for long hauls on Highway, but will handle off-road trails just as easily. I can understand the draw of an “all around” bike. Being able to go the distance to get to a National Forest somewhere and then being able to ride the trails once you get there. Not my cup of tea, but makes perfect sense.
Yes the Yamaha “Tenere” is what I see. BMW makes a nice one as well. Most seem to be sub-1000cc.
CanadianMohawk likes this.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
This.. I'm 43 and I'd put my money on the upcoming Tenere 7 or the existing Tracer 900 GT before I put any money on a cruiser from any company. They just seem to do so much more than what a cruiser can do. I'd even get an XSR900 before another cruiser I think.

However, I also rode an R6 for 10 years so perhaps I am biased. I miss it to be honest. I want that power back (104hp) along with light weight (only 400lbs) and a bit more comfort. I'm not sure any cruiser can do that, can it? The VStar 1100 I have is nice and I'll ride it for a long time because it was given to me and costs me next to nothing, but I desire Adventure and Naked bikes these days. If I'm shelling out $ for a new ride, it's likely not going to be for a cruiser.

Here in Ontario, insurance it's very high for riders under 25yrs old (over $1000/year for any bike, regardless of size or cost or age). That deters them at least until they are older and can afford it. That can't help with sales as I'm sure many of them just never bother to inquire about it again and assume it's just not worth the insurance hit. It's not like riding a motorcycle is cheaper than driving a car. It's not...because of the insurance. A small 4 cylinder car you can drive all year round is the cheapest form of transportation here. All these powersports vehicles are just toys and many these days just can't afford any of these new toys. Heck, they can't even afford to buy a home these days because the prices for first time owners are absurd.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 PM
KCW

Garage
Scooters have their own appeal. I would love to have a new Honda Supercub. The only problem is MSRP is $3500 (US). I just paid $2500 for my 2000 Royal Star last year... I know its not fair to compare a 19 year old used motorcycle to a new scooter, but bang for the buck I bought the Royal Star. I will easily be able to put another 80k miles on the Royal Star odo... I doubt I could get that much use out of the SuperCub.

Ive said before there needs to be some updated MC cruiser bike movies. Its not enough to just do something for its own merit, there needs to be a narrative and a connection.

When I went backpacking in my late teens and 20s, I had read all of Colin Fletcher's books on his backpacking adventures, walking from Mexico to Oregon the entire length of California, hiking the entire length of the Grand Canyon (the first person to do it in one trip). My brother and I had read all of the of the Lord of the Rings books, and when hiking in the wilderness we frequently talked about the books and hobbits and elves...

There needs to be a connection to something bigger than yourself, otherwise while you are out there riding your motorcycle.... where are you going and what do you expect to see and experience?

Last edited by KCW; 03-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMohawk View Post
Quote:
This.. I'm 43 and I'd put my money on the upcoming Tenere 7 or the existing Tracer 900 GT before I put any money on a cruiser from any company. They just seem to do so much more than what a cruiser can do. I'd even get an XSR900 before another cruiser I think.

However, I also rode an R6 for 10 years so perhaps I am biased. I miss it to be honest. I want that power back (104hp) along with light weight (only 400lbs) and a bit more comfort. I'm not sure any cruiser can do that, can it? The VStar 1100 I have is nice and I'll ride it for a long time because it was given to me and costs me next to nothing, but I desire Adventure and Naked bikes these days. If I'm shelling out $ for a new ride, it's likely not going to be for a cruiser.

Here in Ontario, insurance it's very high for riders under 25yrs old (over $1000/year for any bike, regardless of size or cost or age). That deters them at least until they are older and can afford it. That can't help with sales as I'm sure many of them just never bother to inquire about it again and assume it's just not worth the insurance hit. It's not like riding a motorcycle is cheaper than driving a car. It's not...because of the insurance. A small 4 cylinder car you can drive all year round is the cheapest form of transportation here. All these powersports vehicles are just toys and many these days just can't afford any of these new toys. Heck, they can't even afford to buy a home these days because the prices for first time owners are absurd.
Not a single bike you mentioned can ever come close to full dress cruiser. Not just the SVTC but even the Royal Star. You’re used to the leaning forward riding position which is never good on long trips. You might have the “power” but you’ll never go on a long trip riding 500-600 miles per day. Just won’t happen.
You style preference tells us your not into long trips anywhere. Just finding local twisters and burning them up with your knee almost dragging. Completely different riding style than those that ride longer distances for which a cruiser seating position is designed.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 03-01-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:51 PM

I myself am strongly considering a triumph tiger 1200 for my next bike. Awesome torque curve, 140 hp, 7” suspension travel, active suspension, traction control, 34” seat height, supposedly smooth as silk inline triple. Great ergos for the tall, and I am 6,7”. You can do anything with it. ...and I am a solo rider, so...the pillion is for a bag.
CanadianMohawk likes this.

Last edited by Cliffieg; 03-01-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have to admit that I am a dying breed. I am happy with 650 ccs. My bike can do 60 mph all day and my feet touch the ground (flat foot). The bike is heavy but light enough to push and duck walk reasonably well. It has leather bags and the passenger seat serves to hold large items like a tent, sleeping bag and a travel bag if needed. Driving over 500 miles in a day....I doubt it....I'm not a person who takes long trips. Hard cornering and high speed......that's for the accident prone. 900 lb bikes with huge motors and lots of noise....not my cup of tea. I can't understand why someone who does not race bikes would want to buy a bike that goes over 200 mph and why they are even sold.
Diogenes415 and Charlie5320 like this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode