HJC modular helmets - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

HJC modular helmets

I emailed HJC days ago and didnít get an answer. Maybe they donít know

I was wondering about the differences in the many models of modular helmets. Just in the Max II line there are 6 models with the Dova, Cormi, Magma, Mine, Elemental, Style and the basic Max II. All of the descriptions on the website read basically the same, just rearranging the text and ooccasional safety approval ratings. Is finish and color the only difference?

Anyone here know the difference?

Thoughts on modular helmets in general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher15 View Post
I emailed HJC days ago and didn’t get an answer. Maybe they don’t know

I was wondering about the differences in the many models of modular helmets. Just in the Max II line there are 6 models with the Dova, Cormi, Magma, Mine, Elemental, Style and the basic Max II. All of the descriptions on the website read basically the same, just rearranging the text and ooccasional safety approval ratings. Is finish and color the only difference?

Anyone here know the difference?

Thoughts on modular helmets in general?
I’ve used an HJC 3/4 helmet for 20yrs now. Been through a couple of them but just recently purchased a Scorpion 3/4 helmet. It was only $150 and is the most comfortable helmet I’ve owned and that includes a Shoei I used to have. It has the recessed drop down sun shield just like fighter pilots have. Great flow through vent system that actually works too.
Check them out before you go HJC.
The only drawback is that they only come in 4 colors: gloss black, matte black, White & lime green like on reflective vests.
I got the white one.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 03-06-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I have a half with the drop down shades😎. Love that feature. Looking into modular now. Iíll check out scorpion. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 PM
KCW

Garage
My first helmet 6 years ago is an HJC basic Max 2. I got it because I had somewhat wide glasses then, and I could not fit them thru the opening on a full face helmet.

The modular helmet is easier to put on (flipped up) put your glasses on, then pull the shield and chin guard down. Its also nice when you need to talk to someone or do things like fill your gas tank. Mine has the slide down sun-glasses thing. I never used it, view is not clear thru the plastic, and its not polarized like my prescription sunglasses.

I later got an HJC carbon fiber composite helmet RPHA, after getting smaller glasses that I can fish thru the front opening.

The carbon fiber helmet is a full pound lighter. The difference on your head is significant. I dont think I have worn the modular helmet since then.

The website Motorcyclegear.com has close out and discontinued years at good discounts. I got mine for only $120 with free shipping. That was a steal, I have not seen any carbon composite helmet for that low since.

I have seen them for under $200 - sometimes there are paint styles that did not sell well, or odd colors... You can always have at it with a couple cans of Rustolium and clear coat if you dont like the pattern or color.

Again: the flip up chin guard is nice, but a one piece full face carbon helmet is SO much lighter on your head its worth the functional difference. If you have a chance try on a carbon fiber helmet.

I get the appeal of the half and 3 quarter helmets, esp when riding with a windshield, and not going very far or riding fast... but... I have spent more money on my teeth than both motorcycles. I intend to keep my teeth for the rest of my life, the motorcycles... maybe.

For some reason Shoei does not make carbon fiber helmets, but plenty of others do.

Last edited by KCW; 03-06-2019 at 08:47 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I did receive an answer back and basically, yes, the only difference in the HJC helmet line is each name represents a finish and color choice. Seems like they could just have the helmet name/ style with A drop down for finish, color and graphic preference and be done with it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
I currently have 4 HJC helmets, two 3/4, one modular and one full face. Really like them all. Yes it can get confusing the way they list them. For me reading the description for each is one way to tell them apart. You will see 4 or 5 with the same description, Just different colors and grafics. By the way, HJC also make a lot of helmets for Harley that are not on HJC site that are a little different. Go to Harley web site and pull up helmets, in the description it will list who makes it.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode