New helmet - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By RonK
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 3 Post By Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New helmet

Been needing to replace my HJC 3/4 helmet for a while. It's the one I wear during the summer. Ordered a new HJC IS-33 II Niro Helmet and it came in yesterday. They have changed it a lot in the last 4 years, in a good way. HJC helmets have always fit well and that's why I got another one. The color matches bike better than my old one. One chance they made I really like is it has better channels for eye glasses. I'm all set helmet wise for this summer.

Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 PM

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
--

I got a new HJC modular in silver to match my Eluder. I picked it up at J & M in Tucson, AZ where they also put in the factory ear speakers to match my control panel.

--
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:54 AM
KCW

Garage
Les, this is one of the very few places where we take a different path

I have been looking at 3/4 helmets at motorcyclegear.com, thinking when Im riding a motorbike around town at bicycle speeds I dont really need a full face helmet, I could wear a 3/4 and my glasses, esp when I have the windshield on the bike

but when I start getting these thoughts one simple question always pulls me back: if I somehow knew that a 16 year old girl in an SUV is going to knock me off my motorbike today, what gear would I wear?
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
KCW, I think the difference appears to be how long ago I started riding. Starting in 1973 I only owned bikes, no cars. At that time the 3/4 helmet was really all that was easily available. Around that time Bell had a full face but the eye opening was small and couldn't wear glasses. I got so used to a 3/4 helmet it was only within the past 15 years that I even owned a full face. I will agree a full face is much safer and I own several. I use either my full face or modular about 50% of the time. It's hard to break this old dog of bad habits. I do wear ATGATT about 99% of the time, including pants. I currently own 2 full face, 1 modular and two 3/4 helmets all under 5 years old. I rotate a lot due to the hot Houston weather. I've always got the liner out of one or two helmet drying after washing them. Hopefully the day the 16 knocks me off the bike I'll have the full face on.
KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:04 PM
KCW

Garage
when I had a honda CL175 in florida for 18 months back in the '70s. I had a 3/4 helmet from Kmart or Sears (metal flake blue, $25 !!)

when I rode my '78 Yamaha IT175 over a period of 30 years, I only had an old old bell white 3/4 helmet, and never wore anything but goggles with it. I never dropped that bike, never even came close.

It wasnt till I took the MSF course, they would not even let you SIT on a their bikes unless you put your gear on, cannot sit on the bike and then put your helmet on. Partly because they did not want anyone passing by to ever say "I saw people on motorcycles there and they were not wearing their helmet/ jacket/ gloves / boots..."

Thats when I really understood that we dont have control over whether we will get hit or knocked off our bikes, we can limit the risk in many ways, but the only thing we do have 100% control over is what we will be wearing if it happens.

I would hate myself if I could not ride for even a weekend if I got hurt because I was not wearing the gear that I have, and I would feel even worse if I got hurt and someone else felt responsible, because they caused the accident, but I was not wearing all my gear.

Dont want to make anyone feel guilty or pressured or shamed, this is just how I feel. Everyone has to do what they think is best for them.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 03-16-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Here's my two cents. Attached is a write up that I created shortly after my first accident in '02. Writing it was a cathartic experience for me as the first 3 days after the accident are not remembered (mostly drugs). The helmet is pictured a few pages down and without a decent helmet, I think the story would have been different.

The PDF was too large to upload here so here's a link to the file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ew...2yP9HNXOGPBPL0
lesblank, KCW and Yamaha Pat like this.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM
KCW

Garage
^ that is great first hand account of the value of good riding gear

one thing you said that Ive heard other people say, you decided to lay the bike down. Ive never had the chance to ask anyone, how exactly do you intentionally drop the bike at speed?

I know if you lock up the front brake the front wheel will slide out sideways, and throw you over the handlebars, in front of the bike.

If you lock up the rear tire it can start to slide out sideways, but as long as the front tire is spinning and you steer into the skid, the bike will stay up.

Ive always wondered if this is just something people say when they lock up the front brake and drop the bike, or lock up the rear brake and cant keep it from coming around on you - you may not have time to think about it and recover. If people dont practice panic stops its easy to lock up the front wheel, esp since you said the ABS was giving you a fault light.

I cant picture any situation where I would rather have the bike sliding on its crashbar and metal parts, instead of stopping as quickly as possible with nothing but the tires in contact with the asphalt. I have stopped in a panic several times, and it always surprises me how fast the bike will stop - usually followed by me then looking in the mirror to see if Im about to get rear ended.

You may be one of the few cases where ABS was the initial cause of an accident, because it had failed, was throwing a fault light that distracted you at a bad time.

Last edited by KCW; 03-17-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

I'll start by saying I don't have a clear memory where I can watch it click by like in the movies. I was in the HOV lane, I had stopped traffic to my right, a guard rail on the left with no shoulder and I realized I couldn't stop fast enough, that memory is there. I was told the bike slid under the rear bumper of the car in front of me. They had little damage and a cop told me they were un-insured and my insurance (Geico at that time) told me they didn't file a claim for the damage which was apparently little. I'm pretty sure I was able to hit the rear brake and shifted my weight while turning the handle bars enough stay the direction and go down sliding. I do remember wanting to do that as it was the only option and Adrenalin was on my side along with lots of luck. Once down, I was knocked out, ambulance'd to the local trauma hospital and 3 days are gone. My granddaughter in one of the pictures is now 18 so I'm one lucky guy. I am real careful with distracted driving on a bike anymore, that's for damn sure.

A footnote, I later learned that the flashing ABS light is a symptom of a low battery on this year (maybe others) of the LT. I'm guessing my charging system was starting to take a dump and that's why the light started flashing again while riding about 20 minutes from home.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode