Summer Gloves - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Summer Gloves

Every new riding season brings out new riders with many questions. One question that doesn't get asked enough is about riding gear. While I like to think I'll never go down, the odds are not with me. So I prepare for the least amount of injuries. The choice of wearing protection gear is a personal one. I make decisions on gear from online reviews and talking to other people. With that said let's help some riders that don't know what works and the benefits. Let's start with summer gloves. Do you wear gloves? What kind? How long have you had them? How are they holding up? Would you recommend? If no, why not? Another factor is where do you live and your riding condition. What works on the freeways in Houston at 100 degree plus temperatures in stop and go traffic might not work as well on back roads in Canada. If you can post pictures so people can see what you are talking about. It's obvious by our monthly mileage challenge we have many here who ride a lot. Some will ride in just a few months than many all year. (yes, ChiefGunner, AsphaltWarrior, Cliffieg, YamahaPat and others, I talking about you). So help others by reviewing what gloves you use. I'm going to start separate threads for different pieces of riding gear so it will be an easy search in the future. So, let's talk about motorcycle summer riding gloves.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll start with my daily go to commuter gloves, Scorpion Cool Hand Mesh Gloves. At $35 they are cost effective. Last me about a year. I'm on my second pair. Sizing is possible a tad small. Some gloves I wear a small but these a medium is just right. They are stated to be European cut so that would explain the sizing. Remember I ride on an average or 300+ days a year with about 200+ days using these. The bigger weave on back of hand really let air blow it. I wear full finger gloves as freeways here are concrete and there is always a sandy grit being kicked up from cars and it feels like sandpaper hitting fingers. I like the velcro wrist with its adjustability. Palm has second layer of material that help with hands not going numb due to vibration. I've tried other mesh gloves and dislike the way mesh will pick loose and start to look funky. These will pick some but not as quickly or bad as others. They come in many colors, I choose black, shows dirt less. They do not have any armour in them that might turn some people off, but in 100+ days the armour gloves proved to be too hot for my hours plus, stop and go traffic commute home. I do recommend.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 PM

I run the same gloves here in florida. I'll switch to full leather gloves when it's alittle bit chilly out.
The only thing I hate about these gloves is it's mesh gets stuck on the velcro strap and the strap will tear it apart unless your really careful to get it back off. Not sure there is realy any improvement for that though.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:36 PM

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
--

I'll just throw in a reminder here that part of what your gloves are for is sun protection. By that I mean that don't have some with little "windows" where the glove doesn't cover either the back or thumb base area of your hand. These two places will be in the sun all the time and since you probably won't use sunblock on them, they will get badly burned and can destroy your skin cells in that area (think basal cell carcinomas). I pay for that overlook now-a-days.

--
lesblank and CanadianMohawk like this.

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Garage
I've used a similar style of textile gloves posted above for most of my riding life. They work well and have lasted me about 3 seasons each for both Yamaha Brand and Alpinestars.

Last year I went with a full leather pair of shorties.

https://fortnine.ca/en/icon-pursuit-...#76=6414&493=9

They seem ok so far, but haven't really given them the test in hot weather.

It feels really weird to me to ride without gloves.
lesblank likes this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 PM

My favorite any-time-it-ainít-cold gloves are the Highway 21 half jab gloves. Perforated goat skin, thick palm padding, fingerless. Just bought pair #2.
lesblank likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 AM

I am using the gloves which i bought from the ski bum Coupons.
they are to comfortable to wear.
I had them for almost a year, and i wear them both summers and winters.
lesblank likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

these Roland Sands Mission gloves are the best looking and comfortable gloves i've ever worn. i originally had a brown/black pair that got eaten by rats. then found out they had been discontinued and NOBODY had any in stock to sell. was lucky to find these in white. don't know why good products get discontinued.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMohawk View Post
Last year I went with a full leather pair of shorties.

https://fortnine.ca/en/icon-pursuit-...#76=6414&493=9
My Icons are very similar to these but are perforated. I didn't pay nearly as much (around $20) so they're no doubt knock offs, but they're 2 years old and still holding up. They work great in summer.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 AM

Garage
The gloves I was wearing at my motorcycle course was my machanix gloves and I don't remember them being hot or uncomfortable and they are cheap and easy to find. Would be better than nothing on a tight budget.

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode