Riding pants - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:04 AM

Garage
definitely no. pants cover legs and those do not

I have a pair of racing leather pants as well as some Joe Rocket overpants. I'm thinking I won't be wearing the leather racing pants on the 1100 unless just for a joke and the overpants I only wear for cold or rain protection. When it's neither of those, I prefer just some jeans.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 PM

I ride almost always with First Gear over pants and jacket. I do have a mesh jacket for the really hot days but they are few and far between here in the PNW,
On occasion I will run an errand in town with just jeans and mesh jacket but that is rare. I'm not AGATT but am close. I like my life.

Tharin
lesblank and KCW like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:13 AM

Garage
I guess we will have to expand on the summer riding gear for location. For we sweltering gulf coasters and for the cooler northerners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:32 AM
KCW

Garage
^ No

these are riding pants:

This is a good place to point out: the most motorcycle injuries happen to your legs and feet.

Its not clear if this is because the lower parts of your body are most subjected to getting hit, caught under the bike in a slide, or hurt in the fall
or if its because most riders wear a helmet, jacket and gloves, and tend to scrimp on the pants or boots designed for riding a motorcycle (not hiking boots, not steel toad work boots).

I confess, it took me 5 years before I finally got mesh riding pants to completely my gear, now I feel naked riding without them, esp over 60mph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherry.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	84246  
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-30-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Probably about 10 years ago I bought a pair of DragonJeans (not sure of the spelling). Heavy Kevlar in strategic places. But...………… to be truthful, I'd have to lose 30 pounds (or more) to even try to get into them again.

So I wear regular jeans and some chaps. The chaps do a great job of keeping the wind chill factor in check and the bugs off. I'll never ride again without them.

750 Chris Here in this forum
750 Chris In VRA forum
Vn750Guy** In vulcanforums
750 Guy In VROC forum
Chris and Shim In vn750.com forum
Long retired USAF AMMO troop (74 to 95)
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 Chris View Post
So I wear regular jeans and some chaps. The chaps do a great job of keeping the wind chill factor in check and the bugs off. I'll never ride again without them.
But like Lesblank stated. Summer riding, here on the gulf coast, wearing leathers, one would get parboiled. So we have to find alternatives that breath a bit more.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Probably about 10 years ago I bought a pair of DragonJeans (not sure of the spelling). Heavy Kevlar in strategic places. But...………… to be truthful, I'd have to lose 30 pounds (or more) to even try to get into them again.
#summergoals
KCW likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:01 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
... I'd have to lose 30 pounds (or more) ....
several years ago my doctor surprised me when he said I could lose 20 to 25 lbs.

A few days later I picked up a 24 lb box of cat litter at the store and carried it out to my car. Then it dawned on me, Im carrying around this much weigh all the time?! and I could just "put it down" ?

That was my inspiration, never looked back.

BTW, a recumbent or crank-forward bicycle is a great way to get exercise - low impact on your body, and way better than running because you create your own breeze...

and you can coast downhill :^)
Scrumdown likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-30-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 PM

Garage
I never wore anything other than leather jacket (and now mesh), boots, gloves, and of course a helmet. But I saw pair of barely worn chaps for sale on Kijiji (Canadian version of CL) so I bought them. Wore them on a four hour highway cruise the other day and they really cut down on the wind. I like them a lot but in the heat of summer I could see them being quite uncomfortable. I'll have to look into some riding jeans, but unfortunately they cost twice as much this side of the border (like most things).

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
NorthernRider, this is twice recently the Canadian price has shocked me. I've bought two different Kevlar jeans from amazon the past few years. Both brands have held up well with multiple washings. I really like both. The One More Day fit me the best. Did a quick price check on US site and then Canadian site. US price is first screenshot and Canadian second of each brand. Price difference was major. I would recommend either ones.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode