Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Riding pants

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  blackadder 
#1 ·
Every new riding season brings out new riders with many questions. One question that doesn't get asked enough is about riding gear. While I like to think I'll never go down, the odds are not with me. So I prepare for the least amount of injuries. The choice of wearing protection gear is a personal one. I make decisions on gear from online reviews and talking to other people. With that said let's help some riders that don't know what works and the benefits. Let's talk about motorcycle pants. Do you wear motorcycle specific pants? What kind? How long have you had them? How are they holding up? Would you recommend? If no, why not? Another factor is where do you live and your riding condition. What works on the freeways in Houston at 100 degree plus temperatures in stop and go traffic might not work as well on back roads in Canada. If you can post pictures so people can see what you are talking about. It's obvious by our monthly mileage challenge we have many here who ride a lot. Some will ride in just a few months than many all year. (yes, ChiefGunner, AsphaltWarrior, Cliffieg, YamahaPat and others, I talking about you). So help others by reviewing what motorcycle pants you use. I'm going to start separate threads for different pieces of riding gear so it will be an easy search in the future. So, let's talk about motorcycle motorcycle pants.

#4 ·
I saw those pants being advertised also. They could be used as casual business for my work also. So you need to buy them ? and let me know how they are. I like the price. I've had a set of leathers I wear a lot. Just too hot for our summers. I use them below 80 degrees, which around here isn't that much. But really like like them.

#3 ·
This is one area where I'm not very disciplined on. When I'm riding strictly for pleasure I wear kelvar jeans. I recently did a review on two different Kevlar lined jeans and for bang for the buck i recommend both.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/11-general-bike-talk/116102-riding-jeans.html

The HB brand I've had over a year and are holding up well. Have properly washed these 30 times plus. The One Day More brand has really impressed me. I've got 5 or 6 washes on them. I like these the best and do recommend.
For work I'm required to wear business casual, no jeans. I normally wear Dickes at work so that's what I wear when I commute. I'm too lazy to take a change of clothes. I try to wear the Alpine Air pants which go over you regular pants. The Alpine pants are really a very good summer commuter solution. I put them on 2 maybe 3 days out of the week. They are mesh with armour in hips and knees. I really done get much hotter wearing them. They go on easy, fit over boots with long easy to use zippers. But as I said, I'm lazy and don't want to take the time to put them on before or after work. If your looking for an overpant that works well in the heat I recommend.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...sUv6Vyoue1eLpbJeerYBLa7DWFw,cdl:1,prmr:3,cs:1

#8 ·
I bought leather chaps. The type that clip on to my belt. Very comfortable and inexpensive. I can take them off in a few seconds if I have to. I don't like leather pants because it doesn't take too long for them to start to sag at the rear. It's quite cool here in Quebec....especially at night. Jeans don't block the wind like leather does.

#9 ·
It's quite cool here in Quebec....especially at night. Jeans don't block the wind like leather does.
I have the opposite problem in Houston, it's too hot for leathers in the summer. Believe me, I've tried. I can wear my leathers from November till February, maybe.

#11 ·
definitely no. pants cover legs and those do not :)

I have a pair of racing leather pants as well as some Joe Rocket overpants. I'm thinking I won't be wearing the leather racing pants on the 1100 unless just for a joke and the overpants I only wear for cold or rain protection. When it's neither of those, I prefer just some jeans.

#14 · (Edited)
^ No

these are riding pants:

This is a good place to point out: the most motorcycle injuries happen to your legs and feet.

Its not clear if this is because the lower parts of your body are most subjected to getting hit, caught under the bike in a slide, or hurt in the fall
or if its because most riders wear a helmet, jacket and gloves, and tend to scrimp on the pants or boots designed for riding a motorcycle (not hiking boots, not steel toad work boots).

I confess, it took me 5 years before I finally got mesh riding pants to completely my gear, now I feel naked riding without them, esp over 60mph.

Attachments

Reactions: lesblank
#15 ·
Probably about 10 years ago I bought a pair of DragonJeans (not sure of the spelling). Heavy Kevlar in strategic places. But...………… to be truthful, I'd have to lose 30 pounds (or more) to even try to get into them again.

So I wear regular jeans and some chaps. The chaps do a great job of keeping the wind chill factor in check and the bugs off. I'll never ride again without them.

#19 ·
I never wore anything other than leather jacket (and now mesh), boots, gloves, and of course a helmet. But I saw pair of barely worn chaps for sale on Kijiji (Canadian version of CL) so I bought them. Wore them on a four hour highway cruise the other day and they really cut down on the wind. I like them a lot but in the heat of summer I could see them being quite uncomfortable. I'll have to look into some riding jeans, but unfortunately they cost twice as much this side of the border (like most things).

#20 ·
NorthernRider, this is twice recently the Canadian price has shocked me. I've bought two different Kevlar jeans from amazon the past few years. Both brands have held up well with multiple washings. I really like both. The One More Day fit me the best. Did a quick price check on US site and then Canadian site. US price is first screenshot and Canadian second of each brand. Price difference was major. I would recommend either ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.