Riding pants - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding pants

Every new riding season brings out new riders with many questions. One question that doesn't get asked enough is about riding gear. While I like to think I'll never go down, the odds are not with me. So I prepare for the least amount of injuries. The choice of wearing protection gear is a personal one. I make decisions on gear from online reviews and talking to other people. With that said let's help some riders that don't know what works and the benefits. Let's talk about motorcycle pants. Do you wear motorcycle specific pants? What kind? How long have you had them? How are they holding up? Would you recommend? If no, why not? Another factor is where do you live and your riding condition. What works on the freeways in Houston at 100 degree plus temperatures in stop and go traffic might not work as well on back roads in Canada. If you can post pictures so people can see what you are talking about. It's obvious by our monthly mileage challenge we have many here who ride a lot. Some will ride in just a few months than many all year. (yes, ChiefGunner, AsphaltWarrior, Cliffieg, YamahaPat and others, I talking about you). So help others by reviewing what motorcycle pants you use. I'm going to start separate threads for different pieces of riding gear so it will be an easy search in the future. So, let's talk about motorcycle motorcycle pants.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
I am thinking of getting a pair of chaps & these tactical pants. I need something that looks close to business casual and those look close enough.
I cannot voucher for the safety of either of these items. As I have never owned a pair of either.

https://meowmeowoof.com/products/tac...terproof-pants

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
bevo1981 likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is one area where I'm not very disciplined on. When I'm riding strictly for pleasure I wear kelvar jeans. I recently did a review on two different Kevlar lined jeans and for bang for the buck i recommend both.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ing-jeans.html

The HB brand I've had over a year and are holding up well. Have properly washed these 30 times plus. The One Day More brand has really impressed me. I've got 5 or 6 washes on them. I like these the best and do recommend.
For work I'm required to wear business casual, no jeans. I normally wear Dickes at work so that's what I wear when I commute. I'm too lazy to take a change of clothes. I try to wear the Alpine Air pants which go over you regular pants. The Alpine pants are really a very good summer commuter solution. I put them on 2 maybe 3 days out of the week. They are mesh with armour in hips and knees. I really done get much hotter wearing them. They go on easy, fit over boots with long easy to use zippers. But as I said, I'm lazy and don't want to take the time to put them on before or after work. If your looking for an overpant that works well in the heat I recommend.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...:1,prmr:3,cs:1

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
I am thinking of getting a pair of chaps & these tactical pants. I need something that looks close to business casual and those look close enough.
I cannot voucher for the safety of either of these items. As I have never owned a pair of either.

https://meowmeowoof.com/products/tac...terproof-pants

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
I saw those pants being advertised also. They could be used as casual business for my work also. So you need to buy them 😁 and let me know how they are. I like the price. I've had a set of leathers I wear a lot. Just too hot for our summers. I use them below 80 degrees, which around here isn't that much. But really like like them.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:43 PM

Havent been looking for motorcycle pants lately. Just rain resistant, quickdry, breathable to wear around florida humidity, disney, ...

Really been on a kick with the quickdry stuff lately vs worry about getting wet.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
I saw those pants being advertised also. They could be used as casual business for my work also. So you need to buy them and let me know how they are. I like the price. I've had a set of leathers I wear a lot. Just too hot for our summers. I use them below 80 degrees, which around here isn't that much. But really like like them.
Sir, for the price. It is a good experiment. I'll let you know.
I'm serious. I'll but them with in the week. Will rework the budget. (You know gotta be a decent dad & pay for field trips. So the kid has a semi-decent childhood.)

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
lesblank and Toymaker like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 PM

Me I wear leather chaps that have a removable liner. One thing my uncle installed in me when I started riding was always wear your leathers so I always wear my chaps jacket and helmet.
lesblank, KCW, Scrumdown and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:24 PM

Garage
I bought leather chaps. The type that clip on to my belt. Very comfortable and inexpensive. I can take them off in a few seconds if I have to. I don't like leather pants because it doesn't take too long for them to start to sag at the rear. It's quite cool here in Quebec....especially at night. Jeans don't block the wind like leather does.
Scrumdown and JonMaz2112 like this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
It's quite cool here in Quebec....especially at night. Jeans don't block the wind like leather does.
I have the opposite problem in Houston, it's too hot for leathers in the summer. Believe me, I've tried. I can wear my leathers from November till February, maybe.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

on 100 degree days in Austin i usually just go out in this -

are these pants?
lesblank, EleArt and blackadder like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in