2007 XVX 1100 Classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
17A

Garage
2007 XVX 1100 Classic

I bought subj bike about two weeks ago and will be picking it up in another few weeks because weather will not allow me to go get it yet. It is still at the used bike dealer where I bought it. Bike has 19000 kms on it and was flawless on the outside but has been sitting for a long time. Not sure exactly how long but the battery was completley dead so it's probably been awhile, possibly a year or two. Dealer could not tell me how long either.

Here is a list of things I want them to do to the bike. I can do basic things like Oil and filter changes, air filter replacement but not going to take apart carbs etc.

Oil and Filter Change (Yamalube 10W-40 mineral Oil or eqivalent) - Please apply anti-seize to header bolts when re-installing exhaust pipes. I will probably do future oil changes myself and don't want to snap off a rusty bolt.
Battery - Can't be in good condition if it has been sitting discharged for a long time. - Replace if nessessary.
Check operation of Starter clutch.
Install New Spark plugs - Even if old ones look Ok.
Rear Gear oil - Replace
Pet Cock Valve - Check seals and replace if needed. I saw valve kits on Amazon for $20.00 - $30.00.
Clean Carbs if needed.
Inline fuel filter - replace.
Fuel and brake lines - Check and replace if needed.
Brake pads - Check
New Front Tire - Same as what is currently on it.
Lube Throttle Cable - Seemed a bit stiff when I was there.

I will keep you informed of how this process goes. Not getting a very good feeling from the dealership. They were very friendly and helpful when I was buying the bike but have not heard back from them since I sent this list to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	83666  
bevo1981 and Scrumdown like this.

Dave
2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Palmer Rapids, Ontario
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoN..._as=subscriber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
Do they maybe think you are expecting this as part of the deal? Sounds like you are trying to give the dealer some business. If I was the dealer I would send you an estimate for approval. Looks like a pretty good list. Do you have an annual vehicle inspection in your state? If so I would enclude that also.
bevo1981 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:46 PM

Garage
Great bike. Please review https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home before you even start it. The Must Read section 1 is as stated. The site is a wealth of info for all 1100 owners. The forums have been a world of help. Happy riding.
lesblank likes this.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
17A

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Do they maybe think you are expecting this as part of the deal? Sounds like you are trying to give the dealer some business. If I was the dealer I would send you an estimate for approval. Looks like a pretty good list. Do you have an annual vehicle inspection in your state? If so I would enclude that also.
No, all these items are not part of the deal. Only the battery and oil change were. The rest are things I want to do pre-emptively (bad spelling) so I have a good reliable bike right from the start. The bike is at a popular dealership so just giving them business.

I am in Canada so the bike only has to have a safety certification done to it and that is also included in the deal.

It has been over a week since I sent this list and have not heard back so that makes me wonder a bit. Have to wait and see for now. I will be picking the bike up about mid April. I will be giving it a very complete test ride for over and hour before I put it on the trailer and head home about four hours away.

Dave
2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Palmer Rapids, Ontario
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:38 PM

Garage
I would have called them to ensure they received your request and an estimate of repairs on list with estimated time of completion. To me that's just good old business and they should be pleased to comply. The reason I asked about the inspection is it would ensure at least a minimum safety check. Our annual inspection in Texas is a joke. You pull in, they ask you to blow horn, great you passed they say, then take your money. It's supposed to be more than that but at least it's quick.
bevo1981 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:51 PM

Garage
Nice bike. Good luck with your new ride. I just picked up a 2007 custom from a private seller yesterday and drove it about a half hour home. If it wasn't for the sun I would have froze to death.
17A likes this.

Need some wind therapy
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
17A

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
I would have called them to ensure they received your request and an estimate of repairs on list with estimated time of completion. To me that's just good old business and they should be pleased to comply. The reason I asked about the inspection is it would ensure at least a minimum safety check. Our annual inspection in Texas is a joke. You pull in, they ask you to blow horn, great you passed they say, then take your money. It's supposed to be more than that but at least it's quick.
Yes, I will give them a call Friday if they have not responded to me before then.

I am putting this on the forum as an example of a real life used bike purchase experience. This dealership has great reviews so let's see if that will be the same experience for me. Every step of the process I will post here.

So to summarize to date:
Two weeks ago.
Saw the bike online and drove fours hours to see it. Just north of Toronto. I have a 2018 Kawi 650 Versys SE Sport touring bike also wanted a good used cruiser too.
2007 XVS 1100 Classic with 19000 kms. Description was mint condition, One owner etc. A few extra's included. Pics looked very good. Professionally done.
Very nice bright classy showroom. Deals only in used motorcycles. Had approx 40 bikes on the floor. I would say 90% Harley's.
Bike was like new. Not a mark on it anywhere. Really clean as per online pics and description. Very friendly no pressure sales guy. Very knowledgeable about bikes. He knew about the starter clutch on V-Stars etc. He didn't know the history of this bike. He was not the guy who took it in. He did confirm to me it had only one owner.
I thought it was a good price @ $4800.00 Cad. He said the price listed is their bottom price. Only thing I didn't like or know about was when he told me about the hassle to change the oil filter.
I asked him if we could roll it outside to start and he said he would start it right where it was inside, but only for a few seconds. Battery was dead. Barely tweaked the engine. That's when he said they will put a new battery in it.
So we made the deal which included Oil/Filter Change, Safety Inspection and bike would be completely gone over by their mechanic and street ready. You can see into the shop from the floor room and it looked very well equipped, bright and had a few guys working on bikes.

I told him I was not able to pick up the bike until Mid April because of weather and that was no problem It would be kept there.

1st red flag was when I asked if the bike came with a full tank of gas. He snickered and said "Whatever's in it".

So a week later after reading alot on this forum about V-Stars, I sent him the list above of stuff I wanted done. I indicated that this was extra stuff I would pay for except for the Oil/Filter and Battery as per the purchase agreement. He came back a couple days later and said, he has got a brand new battery for it. Last I heard from them.

I will call by Friday if I have not heard anything.

More to follow.....
lesblank likes this.

Dave
2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Palmer Rapids, Ontario
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
I've changed the oil and filter on mine many times and while it takes longer than most bikes, it's not a bad job. The first time I did it it took me just over an hour, mainly because I was meticulously following directions and triple checking everything. Now that I've done it a few times I can do it in about a half hour. One thing I do is put anti seize on the exhaust studs. I definitely don't want to snap one off. Otherwise, you just remove the mufflers (2 bolts, loosen 2 clamps), lower the floorboard (2 bolts) and remove the front pipe. Make sure you keep track of which hole each bolt on the cover comes out of. They're different lengths. Change the filter and O rings and put it back together - piece of cake.

I watched several YouTube videos on it before I attempted it, which helped a lot. It's pretty straight forward once you do it a couple of times. For me, it's not worth the price of a relocation kit. I don't really mind doing it and it gives me a chance to give it a quick check while I'm in the tinkering state of mind.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
17A

Garage
Update:

Dealership called me at end of day today for a report on what they have done to my bike.
They have addressed every item on this list as per request all at no cost to me.

Oil/Filter Changed and applied anti-seize to head bolts
Brand New Battery
Valves Checked
New Spark Plugs
Replaced final Drive Shaft Oil
Verified Starter Clutch was working properly
Checked the fuel pet cock and inline fuel filter and said all is clear, no blockages or leaks
Carbs Adjusted and running fine
Fuel and Brake Lines all checked and good
All brake Pads good
I had asked for a front tire but they said the one on it is got plenty of tread left

Lubed throttle cable

Only six more sleeps before picking it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (27).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	83836   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59 (1).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	83838  
lesblank likes this.

Dave
2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Palmer Rapids, Ontario
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
Update:

Only six more sleeps before picking it up.
Dave,

Congratulations - I have Classic 650 that is your bikes smaller brother and they look alike - yours looks to be in splendid shape and will give you many thousands of trouble free miles - and as a recent newcomer myself, anticipation is dreadful at this stage - before long you'll be regaling us with your new adventures

Blue skies and happy trails
Bill French

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode