Highway vs. City - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Highway vs. City

A few guys I know aren't crazy about highway riding due to a higher potential for catastrophic situations. Personally I hate city driving. Stop and go, lights turning just when I'm up to speed and cars coming from every direction and constant shifting can become tiresome. Highway riding is much more relaxing to me. I can usually manipulate myself into a large buffer zone and everyone is at least going in the same direction. It's easier to avoid merging traffic when you have room to maneuver and easier to see and avoid distracted drivers when you have space around you.
bfrench, graybeard and JonMaz2112 like this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 AM
KCW

Garage
Its a matter of managing the risks you are exposed to, and the risks you have no control over.

A busy city street with more than 2 lanes and lots of traffic is risky.

An interstate highway with multiple lanes and 18 wheelers and buses is risky for other reasons (throwing tires, they cant see you or stop).

If I have the option I prefer two lane rural or suburban roads with light or no traffic. Cruising at 55 to 60mph with no windshield is sensory pleasant, nice wind over you, nothing blocking your view, no air drag on the bike... Its not the fastest way to get from A to Z, but thats not why Im on a motorbike. I like to stop every 10 to 15 miles for an intersection, and put my feet down, stand up and wiggle my butt - can not do that on a limited access interstate. Also on a two lane road, if you suddenly need to pull over (leg cramp, something in your eye...whatever) the next driveway is usually less than a mile ahead.

The air blast that hits you increases with the square of your speed - so the force of the wind is twice as much at 71mph as it is at 50. At 86mph there is 3 times the force trying to blow you off the bike as there is at 50.

When I put the windshield on my bike, and ride on the interstate at 80mph, its ok in a tolerable way. When I get where Im going and slow down to 45mph with the windshield on, I am miserable. Its like riding around in a glass jar. If the sun is out I stew in my own juices.

I have noticed that people travelling tend to blindly use their GPS to tell them where to go, and it almost always tells them to take the interstate thruways. The secondary roads are often deserted as a result. Thank you US Airforce for GPS! Two lanes, no traffic, no windshield, 60mph = bliss :^)

Last edited by KCW; 04-04-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:04 PM

Garage
I prefer a nice ride at about 50-55 MPH through the country. Of course it has it's own ricks with animals and blind curves but for me, I do not care to ride 75 MPH on a highway. It seems to just wear me out.
KCW, graybeard and Dabluz like this.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
A few guys I know aren't crazy about highway riding due to a higher potential for catastrophic situations. Personally I hate city driving. Stop and go, lights turning just when I'm up to speed and cars coming from every direction and constant shifting can become tiresome. Highway riding is much more relaxing to me. I can usually manipulate myself into a large buffer zone and everyone is at least going in the same direction. It's easier to avoid merging traffic when you have room to maneuver and easier to see and avoid distracted drivers when you have space around you.

good thing you're not called Cityman!!

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 PM

When I was in L.A. You had to power through the freeways to get to the good rides. In Sacramento I have Levee roads within minutes.
KCW, graybeard and Boots like this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 PM

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
--

Here's a novel thought. I use freeways and go faster when I'm in a hurry to get to another point. I use side roads through scenic surroundings with variety when I'm just out for the fun of being on a bike.

--
CanadianMohawk and Boots like this.

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
--

Here's a novel thought. I use freeways and go faster when I'm in a hurry to get to another point. I use side roads through scenic surroundings with variety when I'm just out for the fun of being on a bike. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/IMG]

--
That’s pretty much my approach as well @RonK .
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:54 AM

Garage
I also prefer the slower 2 lane Rural roads to either the city or the multilane highways.
charlieab likes this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:19 PM

Garage
I have no riding experience but in my truck it's the secondary roads that are the best, then highways, then city or beach areas in the busy time. The local beaches have two lane roads that seem to be always packed and no lane splitting.

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lane splitting is illegal in MN. Even if it wasn't I wouldn't do it. I'm never in that much of a hurry. I'm lucky in that miles of open winding country roads are pretty much out my back door and that's where I head when I'm out for pleasure riding.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode