What do you use for a motorcycle trailer? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What do you use for a motorcycle trailer?

I want to be able to trailer our two bikes when needed. I've looked at 6x10 utility trailers and even the rail type trailers specifically for motorcycles but don't feel comfortable with them. They look flimsy and cheap. What kind of trailers are you using to haul your rides with? Just trying to get some ideas.

Current Bikes:
2018 Indian Chief Classic
2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse

Past Bikes:
2017 Indian Scout
2006 Yamaha Roadliner
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:39 PM
KCW

Garage
Have not needed to trailer a MC yet,
but if I do need to, this is my Plan A

watch the video, dont settle for anything less

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Motor...ler-Rental/MT/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:42 PM

Garage
I have a 5 x 8 utility trailer & it has worked for me so far.
Granted I just have one bike & it is loaded diagonally.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:43 AM
17A

Garage
I just had my 1st Motorcycle trailering experience this week. Picked up my 2007 V-Starr 1100. It was about 350 kms from my place. I had bought a single rail Stinger trailer for this job and for future times if needed. It was rock solid and easy to load / unload. Not flimsy or cheap. There is a double Rail version for two bikes available also. See attached pictures.

Pro's:
Not expensive compared to others.
Easy one person Load / Unload.
Well made quality product.
The design does not require that you compress the suspension to secure it.
Folds to the size of a large lawnmower for easy storage.

Cons:
Does not seem to like to go faster than 100 kph (60 Mph).
There is a bit of vibration after that.
It's an open trailer so your bike is exposed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STNG-8766 (1).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	83976   Click image for larger version

Name:	stingerrampslg.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	83978  
KCW likes this.

Dave
2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Palmer Rapids, Ontario
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoN..._as=subscriber

Last edited by 17A; 04-26-2019 at 05:50 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM
KCW

Garage
one thing to be aware of with any trailer

if you buy a used one, jack up each tire off the ground and give the wheel a spin: if the bearings make ANY noise at all other than an even continuous smooth sound, if it makes uneven sounds as its turning, then it needs new wheel bearings.

That is not grounds to pass up on a good deal on a used trailer, but replace the bearings before you tow it more than 5 miles, esp at highway speeds.

The bearings are easy to replace before they melt and fuse themselves to the axle, and you end up in a Perkins parking lot at the interstate exit at 7PM on a friday, 256.4 miles from home, with a sailboat on the trailer.
Redbird58 and moetrain like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
one thing to be aware of with any trailer

if you buy a used one, jack up each tire off the ground and give the wheel a spin: if the bearings make ANY noise at all other than an even continuous smooth sound, if it makes uneven sounds as its turning, then it needs new wheel bearings.

That is not grounds to pass up on a good deal on a used trailer, but replace the bearings before you tow it more than 5 miles, esp at highway speeds.

The bearings are easy to replace before they melt and fuse themselves to the axle, and you end up in a Perkins parking lot at the interstate exit at 7PM on a friday, 256.4 miles from home, with a sailboat on the trailer.
KCW That sounded like a life experience there...So what did you order from Perkins for dinner that night? Breath deep, happy thoughts...it will be okay!
KCW and nutz4spd like this.

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Cobra Exhaust and Floorboards
Recent Mods: Added OEM passing lamps
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit
Custom Dynamics Rear Red Turn lenses

Looking for new seat and taller windshield

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:23 AM
KCW

Garage
Drank lots of coffee and ate something at Perkins. The manager was very nice about us having a roadside workshop going on in their parking lot.

It was my nephews new (used) 18 foot Hobie Cat, pulling it with my Saturn Vue. Purchased in Connecticut, we made it to Springfield MA till the bearing on one side blew out, and was flopping on the axle (did not come off all the way).

Was able to find an Advance Auto store not far away that was just about to close. Nice lady found us a wheel bearing the right size, but the inner race of the old one had welded itself to the axle. I think the race partly melted as the wheel was spinning at 70mph, and when we stopped for a light it fused to the axle.

Lots of chisling and filing and hacksawing got most of the race off, and we were able to get the new bearing on just far enough for the cotter pin to catch the hole, by putting the castle nut on backwards.

we stopped at every rest area on the 256.4 mile ride the rest of the way home to check the wheel.

We did jack up the wheels before he bought the boat and trailer, the one wheel was making just a little bit of noise when we spun it.

And thats the thing: if the wheel is making any noise with just the 10 pound weight of the wheel on it, its going to be grinding with the full load of the trailer on it. Trailer bearings are just snug fit on the axle. If the bearing does not want to spin on its balls or rollers, the inner race will spin metal to metal on the axle.
Redbird58 likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-26-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
That sounds like an ordeal a couple of friends went through recently. One was going to buy a 55 Chev in FLA. So they planned a road trip from OH driving straight thru..pick up the car..sleep for a little then head back. Well most great plans have some weak spots in them...In this case it turned out to be the trailer..New tires.. but 2 of them decided they did not want to be clothed and shed their treads on the highway...luckily they were pulling a 2 axle trailer...Good ol Wally World they picked up 2 new tires and thought they would be on their way again...Jacking up the trailer they found some of the floor boards were hit pretty good when the tires shredded and exposed some weak floor boards....Turns out the car was junk and they did not get it...The bad thing was as part of the deal they had a Harley Bagger on the trailer that was part of the deal for the car...when they jacked it up the bike broke thru the weak boards and got a little damage...Had they had a 2 wheel trailer they would have probably lost the bike and been in a bad way if they could not have stopped...I think they learned their lesson...
Scrumdown likes this.

09 V Star 950
Dark Cherry
Cobra Exhaust and Floorboards
Recent Mods: Added OEM passing lamps
Kuryakyn R/B/T kit
Custom Dynamics Rear Red Turn lenses

Looking for new seat and taller windshield

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 AM

this is an old tent trailer we stripped and add a wheelchair at the front
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15562930670066381258540970591484_1556293088079.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	83980  
Scrumdown likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Garage
Well fellas I purchased a Kaufman 5 x 12 , single axle trailer to trailer my Motorcycle and UTV when needed. I have been very satisfied the past six years. Just to let you know my Vstar 950 T loads fine and clearance is fine. I had a MC chuck installed which keeps my bike centered along with tie downs.

Hope this is helpful!

Ride safe and enjoy!~YammyV
Scrumdown likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode