Free Tire Change Labor? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Free Tire Change Labor?

For my trip from Dayton Ohio to Naples Florida, I knew I was probably pushing it leaving on a rear tire that had just under 6K miles on it. Well, I got a flat about 10 miles off the interstate in central FL - must have run over something while passing a slow moving truck. My roadside assistance got me to a shop back in Clearwater so, while waiting for them, I called the dealership in case I didn't make it to them before they closed for the night. While I'm on hold, instead of 'music', they're running an ad - about replacement tires: "We never charge labor for tire changes".

What??!! Not only that, I went to their website - they'll match any advertised tire price, print or web.

So, shoutout to RideNow Powersports, Gainesville FL. They did end up taking my bike in after hours (by about 15 minutes) although, they were still moving inventory into the building. They did 'bump' their scheduled work to get on my ride first thing the next day.

But my point is: how many of you have a dealer that does free tire installs? Last tire I bought (front on my 01 VStar 650) I paid 1 hour @ $95/hr. The dealer where I bought my Stratoliner charges $110/hr! It's almost worth it to drive to FL again for tires!

By the way - I did not 'shop' tire prices. I opened my wallet and gladly paid what they asked for the tire. They did me a solid, letting drop off after hours and squeezing me in so I could get back on the road - even though I missed the opening session of the business conference I was headed toward.

2001 V-Star 650 Classic - purchased in 2017 w/ 10.5K miles
2014 Stratoliner S - purchased in 2018 w/ 0 miles (Original Owner!)

Last edited by JimCanaday; 05-20-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Gainesville, not Clearwater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Garage
Great to see there are dealers out there who still care about customer service. It's too bad more of them don't realize how much word of mouth about helping out someone in your situation can increase their standing in the eyes of their potential customers. It may have cost them a little overtime and maybe a late supper, but it will pay for itself tenfold.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
How did your trip around Atlanta go? Or did you close your eyes...roll your right wrist down and muscle through it?
Keith Post likes this.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
How did your trip around Atlanta go? Or did you close your eyes...roll your right wrist down and muscle through it?
It went really well! I looped around to the west, outside the 285 loop, hitting the north point around 8 AM. While I had some great suggestions, it was after I had already booked reservations (both ways) in Calhoun GA. Coming back, while I selected the same start and end points, I didn't notice that GMaps had selected the path closest to I-75... I ended up driving right by Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Still though, it wasn't that bad considering it was the 2 to 3 PM time period.

Overall, I enjoyed the entire trip. The flat was a bummer and, on the way back I had to spend an extra day in central FL (same place I was headed when I got the flat!) due to the thunderstorms predicted for all of GA the next day. Probably the biggest drag was the so-called 'love bugs' on the trip down. The last 200 miles down, I had to stop and clean the windshield 3 times. Fortunately, they were already decreasing significantly in numbers just 4 days later when I started for home. Will certainly take long, multi-day trips on the bike again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AtlantaBypass.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	84168  

Last edited by JimCanaday; 05-20-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Map image didn't save.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

dealership where i bought my bike has been advertising free tire installs for the past couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCanaday View Post
Well, I got a flat about 10 miles of the interstate in central FL - must have run over something while passing a slow moving truck.
prevent flat tires in the future by using Ride-On tire sealant. i found a nail in my tire once and never lost any tire pressure even after removing it:

https://www.ride-on.com

Keith Post likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Garage
Wondering if that dealer in FLA is affiliated with the dealer close to you in Springfield, OH. Similar names.. Ride One Powersports right off of 70?
Keith Post likes this.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird58 View Post
Wondering if that dealer in FLA is affiliated with the dealer close to you in Springfield, OH. Similar names.. Ride One Powersports right off of 70?
I asked them about that. They had no idea about RideOne in Springfield (and Columbus) specifically but, they did say there was a parent company that owned a lot of dealerships. (I bought the bike at Ride One!) If a coincidence, it's a weird one.

So, RideNow has an overall website with a Dealer Locator. RideOne in Spfld is not associated with RideNow. Just a really close name!
https://www.ridenow.com/--locate-a-dealer
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by JimCanaday; 05-20-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Found RideNow main site
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:44 PM
KCW

Garage
Tires are one of those nebulous things that its hard to put a price on

did they mean they would match any dealer price? That is reasonable, and some dealers do not charge to put the tires on the bike if you buy it from them.

I would be surprised if they would match any website price, like Bikebandit with free shipping, and take the wheel off the bike and mount the tire on the rim and balance it for the same price for the same tire from a discount website.

They would be losing money... but I guess if the shop is empty and they are paying a motorcycle mechanic who has nothing else to do, then they would at least be getting some income for the price of the tire.

The yamaha dealer near me gets a discount/volume price on Dunlop and another brand tire, so I can get the tire from them for the same price as buying it online, but they dont have a 'deal' for Bridgestone tires, which is what I have been using for the last few changes, so I get the tires online, take the wheels off the bike myself, and carry them in. Its $40 per tire to have them mounted, and to dispose of the old tire.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Tires are one of those nebulous things that its hard to put a price on

did they mean they would match any dealer price? That is reasonable, and some dealers do not charge to put the tires on the bike if you buy it from them.

I would be surprised if they would match any website price, like Bikebandit with free shipping, and take the wheel off the bike and mount the tire on the rim and balance it for the same price for the same tire from a discount website.

They would be losing money... but I guess if the shop is empty and they are paying a motorcycle mechanic who has nothing else to do, then they would at least be getting some income for the price of the tire.

Oh. And I just caught you mentioned BikeBandit. Their price for that tire is $186.51. I was still better off getting a flat in Florida than replacing my tire before I left!

The yamaha dealer near me gets a discount/volume price on Dunlop and another brand tire, so I can get the tire from them for the same price as buying it online, but they dont have a 'deal' for Bridgestone tires, which is what I have been using for the last few changes, so I get the tires online, take the wheels off the bike myself, and carry them in. Its $40 per tire to have them mounted, and to dispose of the old tire.
Hey, I'm not trying to say I got the deal of the century here. And, I understand TANSTAAFL. But these guys pretty much had me over a barrel and, I got out the door for $236.62, tax and everything for a tire that Revzilla lists for $193.95. A Bridgestone Battlecruise H50, 180/60B17. Do they 'build in' tire change labor into their tire price? Maybe. Did I get screwed? No. They can have $42.67 labor.

Even if I could have gotten that tire at any of the 3 local places I've used, what's the Flat Rate Time for a rear tire R&R on a Stratoliner? 1 Hour? 1.5 Hours? At $95 or $110 per hour, I came out ahead of anything I'd been able to get at home, even if I could have matched the Revzilla tire price. Because my dealers here don't even have Flat Rate Tire Change prices - it's hourly labor. I guess maybe it just blows to own a motorcycle in Ohio.

Oh. I just saw you referenced BikeBandit. Their price for tire is $186.51. So, I'm still better off having gotten a flat in Florida than if I had replaced the tire at home before I left!

Last edited by JimCanaday; 05-20-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added BikeBandit comment.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
dealership where i bought my bike has been advertising free tire installs for the past couple years.

prevent flat tires in the future by using Ride-On tire sealant. i found a nail in my tire once and never lost any tire pressure even after removing it:
Clearly I need to move farther South to where there's more competition among shops!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode